OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS SHORTAGE

Started by BottomLand54, March 07, 2018, 10:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullfan

Not everyone is trying to kill turkeys at 60 yds, I have been hand loading TSS for several years now and love knowing that my 20ga throws a pattern better than my 12ga. Money is not an issue I planned years ago and I retired at 49 so I do have some common sense.  I will continue to load and shoot TSS as long as the components are available.  I have no clue why ppl worry about what everyone else is doing.
Don't gobble at me...

Spitten and drummen

Glad I bought 5 more pounds of 9s 6 months ago. I also researched and in process of building a shot trap to recover and reuse the stuff. Most guys with them are recovering over 90 percent of the shot.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 08, 2018, 08:32:29 AM
Glad I bought 5 more pounds of 9s 6 months ago. I also researched and in process of building a shot trap to recover and reuse the stuff. Most guys with them are recovering over 90 percent of the shot.
Okay , so you have 5 more pounds of 9's , on the average how many shells can you load from a pound 6-8 shells ?

bbcoach

Quote from: Fullfan on March 08, 2018, 08:29:05 AM

Not everyone is trying to kill turkeys at 60 yds, I have been hand loading TSS for several years now and love knowing that my 20ga throws a pattern better than my 12ga. Money is not an issue I planned years ago and I retired at 49 so I do have some common sense.  I will continue to load and shoot TSS as long as the components are available.  I have no clue why ppl worry about what everyone else is doing.
Fullfan, I don't know why ppl get their panties in a wad.  Read the post.  I stated 12 gauge and I mean 12 gauge.  With TSS, 20 and .410 shooters have the playing field leveled with the 12 gauge shooters.  Yes, it is about personal choice what we shoot.  It just baffles me that people shell out this kind of money for performance that is OVERKILL.  Plenty of offerings that will get the job done and not break the bank.  And for those that do reload TSS, there would be plenty of TSS shot available.  If this trend continues, the reloaders will see a significant increase in the cost of TSS shot.  This will effect you due to supply and demand.  Just saying!

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 08, 2018, 08:54:24 AM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 08, 2018, 08:32:29 AM
Okay , so you have 5 more pounds of 9's , on the average how many shells can you load from a pound 6-8 shells ?

9 if I load 1-5/8 ounces and 8 with 1-7/8 ounces. With my shot trap and my other stash of tss I will have enough to take Me through my lifetime.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Sand Man

Shortage?????????   :newmascot:

I've got 82 pounds.  :drool:

Loaded up 25 rounds for a friend last night.   :goofball:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Greg Massey

Guy's who have been reloading Tss for the last couple of years have been telling us how great this shot is , but after patterning this stuff last week, it's really no better than the Federal HW 7 , those shells would put all the pellets in a turkey head that you needed to kill a turkey. I'm not really that excited about Tss and the 6 - 8 dollar shell anymore, i just want a good average shell to place a good pattern with consistent pattern...I'm so glad i bought a big supply of Federal Hw 7 and very few Tss shells...

Happy

Something to consider is that federal probably did not anticipate this shell taking off like it has. I didn't think it would. Especially in the 12 guage offerings. The price point doesn't justify the end in my opinion. I can see it in the 20 guage and smaller loads but it seems extreme to me in a 12 guage unless I was trying to snipe one. In wv a rifle is legal so I would just go that route. It's cheaper.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sand Man on March 08, 2018, 09:06:06 AM
Shortage?????????   :newmascot:

I've got 82 pounds.  :drool:

Loaded up 25 rounds for a friend last night.   :goofball:

Maybe you can give Federal and Apex some of your shot , because it's going to get harder to get..Friend of mine talk to both Apex and Federal and they can't get the shot. That's why Apex has changed the on site stock from the 10 th now to the 15 with some shells being in stock....

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 08, 2018, 09:06:17 AM
Guy's who have been reloading Tss for the last couple of years have been telling us how great this shot is , but after patterning this stuff last week, it's really no better than the Federal HW 7 , those shells would put all the pellets in a turkey head that you needed to kill a turkey. I'm not really that excited about Tss and the 6 - 8 dollar shell anymore, i just want a good average shell to place a good pattern with consistent pattern...I'm so glad i bought a big supply of Federal Hw 7 and very few Tss shells...

ok. Good for you. More tss for us. As far as patterns are concerned , more shot = denser patterns. Also the retained energy compared to 7 heavy blows them out of the water. I have a stash of heavyweight 7s and they pattern and shoot great. Plenty enough to kill a bird. Copper plated 6's are plenty enough to kill a bird. People saying oh my gosh , 8 dollars a shell?? We are turkey hunting not dove hunting. I have the tags to kill 6 birds a year from 2 states and I dont target practice with tss. In the end if you dont like tss thats fine , you or I dont have to justify what we shoot. Turkey hunting is my passion . I do not mind spending money on my hobby and equipment to pursue these birds. I pay a big chunk for 1300 acre turkey lease so a 10 dollar shell is not going to kill me. If I sold all the calls and turkey hunting related things I have then I could probably retire lol. Good luck this spring.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on March 08, 2018, 09:08:32 AM
Something to consider is that federal probably did not anticipate this shell taking off like it has. I didn't think it would. Especially in the 12 guage offerings. The price point doesn't justify the end in my opinion. I can see it in the 20 guage and smaller loads but it seems extreme to me in a 12 guage unless I was trying to snipe one. In wv a rifle is legal so I would just go that route. It's cheaper.
Happy i agree with you, after trying some of this Tss shot last week, i decided it's a fine shell for people with really bad eye sight or people who can't shoot very well and have very little calling ability. It's a high dollar shell pack with a huge amount of shot and at 20 yards will blow a hole like a rifle, i just decided after messing with it last week, i will work more on calling the turkeys as i have done in the pass years and just be patient and kill mine with cheaper shells ....

Sand Man

I could not agree more with you.  I started out on this TSS journey 7+ years ago hand loading.  I started with 2oz in a 12ga and #7s.  Even though I'm an engineer and understand density, ballistics, KE, etc, I was raised by my dad shooting 32" barrel full choke lead 4's and 5's at MS swamp birds.  Long before screw in chokes and 3 1/2" 12s.  I had to see the proof in the pudding before I'd believe a #9 or #9.5 TSS pellet would kill a bird.  I quickly learned that a 12ga pushing 2oz of TSS was just flat overkill.  Where the shot shins is being able to go down in gauge to a 20, 28, .410 for a lighter recoil more compact gun that's lighter weight.  Trust me when I say carrying a 20ga Youth model 870 with a 21" barrel is a dream compared to these 12s I grew up shooting.  With TSS you don't have to sacrifice the pattern, distance, or efficiency you get from a 12ga with any factory load.  I've misjudged birds in wide open wheat fields here in TX and OK and have broken wing and leg bones as well as penetrated all the way thru a breast bone @ over 40 yards with #9.5 shot.  Believe what you want, but TSS is everyone they claim it is and more.  I'm now to the point of trying to kill my slam with a 28ga.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 08, 2018, 09:21:28 AM
Happy i agree with you, after trying some of this Tss shot last week, i decided it's a fine shell for people with really bad eye sight or people who can't shoot very well and have very little calling ability. It's a high dollar shell pack with a huge amount of shot and at 20 yards will blow a hole like a rifle, i just decided after messing with it last week, i will work more on calling the turkeys as i have done in the pass years and just be patient and kill my with cheaper shells ....

Dude are you serious. Did you really just say that?? I was a sniper in the Army 5 years and I shoot very very well. Put a ic 555 in a 20 and shoot at a bird at 20 and see how well you shoot. For you to make a blanketed statement like that is pure ignorant. I cannot believe you did that. As far as calling one close , you have no idea how other people call. Im not trying to come off as a you know , but that statement did kind of hit me wrong.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 08, 2018, 09:19:08 AM

ok. Good for you. More tss for us. As far as patterns are concerned , more shot = denser patterns. Also the retained energy compared to 7 heavy blows them out of the water. I have a stash of heavyweight 7s and they pattern and shoot great. Plenty enough to kill a bird. Copper plated 6's are plenty enough to kill a bird. People saying oh my gosh , 8 dollars a shell?? We are turkey hunting not dove hunting. I have the tags to kill 6 birds a year from 2 states and I dont target practice with tss. In the end if you dont like tss thats fine , you or I dont have to justify what we shoot. Turkey hunting is my passion . I do not mind spending money on my hobby and equipment to pursue these birds. I pay a big chunk for 1300 acre turkey lease so a 10 dollar shell is not going to kill me. If I sold all the calls and turkey hunting related things I have then I could probably retire lol. Good luck this spring.
I could care less what you shoot and you can preach all day about how good Tss is and i will agree with you it's a good shell , but with little more calling ability and patients you can kill a turkey with just as good of a shell and gun patterning with copper coated lead or cheaper shells if you pattern you gun with a good average load and choke. I don't think i ever said i don't like Tss , i just said i don't think you have to have this so called greatest shell to kill turkeys ...good luck also this spring ...

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 08, 2018, 09:32:25 AM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 08, 2018, 09:19:08 AM

I could care less what you shoot and you can preach all day about how good Tss is and i will agree with you it's a good shell , but with little more calling ability and patients you can kill a turkey with just as good of a shell and gun patterning with copper coated lead or cheaper shells if you pattern you gun with a good average load and choke. I don't think i ever said i don't like Tss , i just said i don't think you have to have this so called greatest shell to kill turkeys ...good luck also this spring ...

you said its better suited for people who cant see well , who cant shoot or who cannot call very well. Since you want to insult people who shoot it I will return the favor. Its for people who work and can afford to spend 10 bucks a shell , who have more respect for the bird we are hunting by wanting a little more insurance on killing efficiently ect... Its ok you dont care for it but you started with the insults and that was uncalled for.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"