turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for the Ideal Pattern for All Ranges

Started by Brwndg, March 05, 2018, 07:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brwndg

I have a new Mossberg 500 Turkey 20 gauge that I will be patterning in the next week or two.
In addition to the stock .584 Mossberg ported choke, I have a Carlson .575 non-ported to test w/ Federal HW 7s in 3" and 2 3/4".

I understand the obsession w pellet count in 10" @ 40, but is it at the expense of too tight a pattern at ~20 where most birds get shot at and w a super tight pattern might lead to a miss at a jumpy bird.

I'm hoping to find a shell/choke combo to have a solid pattern at 20 yds, but not too tight, and still kill effectively at 40.

What is the minimum "killing density" at 40 yds? 100, 75, 50, 25 pellets in a 10" w a good even patten?
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

g8rvet

Good question, you will have to decide.  100 at 40 with no holes in it is kinda the minimum most folks will accept.  Back in the days of lead only, I hunted with that pattern and was happy and confident.  I missed a couple of birds though over the years.  Then HTL changed the game.  Now I want 150 ish at 40 and a good pattern at 15. 

I am attaching what I wound up with and very happy with it. The first  is 40. I fixed the POA.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

Since I knew close shots happen, I also checked it at 15 and feel like there is plenty of room for error. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Brwndg

I could hunt that.  Both dead birds w a little wiggle room
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

g8rvet

It's 4 for 4 from 25-37 yards.  I agree though, you don't want to be shooting a slug gun at 20 yards.  The trulock is a 560, so you may not be as tight.  Your gun may love it though.  Good place to start.