turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1187 choke suggestions.

Started by nhhunter722, March 01, 2018, 07:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhhunter722

Looking for choke suggestion for a 28" 1187 super mag. I will be using 3" Federal Thugs in 5s or 6s since I have a stock pile. Also use Longbeards for field duty if needed.

Thank you

allaboutshooting

Quote from: nhhunter722 on March 01, 2018, 07:39:39 PM
Looking for choke suggestion for a 28" 1187 super mag. I will be using 3" Federal Thugs in 5s or 6s since I have a stock pile. Also use Longbeards for field duty if needed.

Thank you

I shoot that gun with a variety of shells and frankly, there are many good choices. I try to "know" and shoot all of the commercially made chokes out there, along with a good many custom made chokes. I find myself coming back many times to Stu Wright's design https://allaboutshooting.com/products/wrights-invectorwin-choke-12-gauge-turkey-choke-45?variant=6889722052641 for a very high quality product, that just delivers great patterns with a variety of shells. I find the .660 is my favorite but the .670 is excellent as well. Stu was a pioneer in the choke tube business and a great gunsmith. Unfortunately, we lost him way too soon and the tubes that are out there are the last ones.

Again, many great chokes for that gun and I'm sure you'll have many other excellent recommendations. Whatever you choose, have a great season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

pdaugherty

I would give the Hevi-Shot choke tube a try. It's a great choke and it won't break the bank. I've seen some very good patterns with 5s or 6s and with the blends.

longbow59

I shoot that same gun with a primos jellyhead .665. shoots great with LBs .

Big Jeremy

BandedSpur

Have not shot the Thugs through it, but an IC .665 beats every other choke I have tried with several different loads and shot types from my 1187.

diyj98

I only tried a few chokes through my 28" 11/87, but settled on the Longbeard .660 choke.  I use the same choke in the 21" barrel I picked up last year.

BTH

Have had fantastic results in both a 26" barrel 11-87 and the short turkey barrel I put on my 11 87 using the Tru glo SSX (strut stopper X) compared to the factory remington turkey choke, factory remington full choke and a really good but old carlsons .665 turkey choke. To me the SSX digests very well several different loads I have run out of it over the years. This includes the old black box winchester #4 and #5 turkey loads and several of the older Nitro mag lead #2 Remington loads which were my back up.

The best results until 2 seasons ago were with winchester XX 1 7/8oz 3" #6 buffered copper. BUT the Hevi shot and hevi 13  in 3" #6 2oz have been fantastic and produced several no wiggle shots out to my comfort zone of 35 yds. I really like letting them get as clost as possible. Gives me time to enjoy the show and calm my nerves a bit. This is what has worked best for me. Really get out there and try some different stuff though before settling.
Phil 4:13