Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Long Beard XR built with TSS instead of lead?

Started by Magdump, March 01, 2018, 11:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cljohnson24

Quote from: davisd9 on April 26, 2018, 10:44:12 AM
I like to turkey hunt, not turkey shoot.
Then use a camera instead of a shotgun:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cljohnson24

Quote from: deerpoo22 on April 26, 2018, 08:20:23 PM
I hoped with the new TSS craze people would use it for a slight range increase, and to give yourself a buffer on shots where you misjudged the range, but I've heard several stories just from people I know of shooting at turkeys past 100 yards. Truly sickening
100 yds is pretty extreme, and I don't think even the best TSS penetrates AND patterns to that distance...but then again I'd love to be proven otherwise....of course my next question would be where to get that load/choke combo;)

captpete

Quote from: cljohnson24 on April 26, 2018, 09:21:00 AM
I don't understand this prejudice against the concept of taking turkeys at distances beyond 40 yds...if someone has a load proven to possess the lethality and patterns well in his gun at XX distance and he has a valid tag in his hand, then that should be his decision. In the end regardless of his decision to use a blind, decoys, scope, 32" barrel, 3.5" shells, tungsten shot, $100 calls, running and gunning, fanning camo and on and on.....
If it's within game laws and legal, there should be no shame in doing so. 
For those of you who "prefer" what you "prefer" you should cut others some slack, and give them proper credit that they've tested/ patterned their equipment rather than "parrot" on and on the outdated notion of 40 yds based upon inferior turkey loads.

I' e heard these same arguments in Ohio when they first allowed straightwall rifles to our shotgun only deer season....
Sure it's easier with a more accurate weapon and some take longer shots than they should, but that also existed with shotguns, but instead they just sprayed slugs until they hit flesh and hoped they found it....Archers in Ohio freaked out and scrutinized crossbows when they legalized them in the early 80's ...proven fact both of these changes have resulted in less wounded deer because they are more accurate for the every day guy to take that animal..

I get the old 40 yd thing, but new technology HAS extended that range regardless if your secret society of "don't speak of shots beyond 40yds" yet still show patterns of HTL with massive numbers @ 40...
Hmm, why buy HTL loads for overkill at 40? How many will admit they too are guilty of "maximizing" their range...Seems awful hypocritical...

Aren't we all here to help each other fill our tags.? Everyone has a differ t meaning of what "turkey hunting" is to them...for me it's about sitting in a blind with my 11 year old, drinking coffee, setting up decoys, trying calls even though we scare more than attract. We've shot them as close as 32 yds and a few that mentioning will get me banned from this site. They wouldn't come any closer to our calls/decoys. Every shot we've taken we had HIGH confidence would drop those birds on the spot...and guess what? They did..have never lost a bird have never had to stomp on a birds head...

I think a lot of guys should stop judging others and be thankful Turkey hunting per numbers are attracting more hunters..and that's a lot more value than doing things the old fasioned way...

The only issue I have with your statement is "they've tested/ patterned their equipment". The way some companies are marketing the new ammo is part of the problem. Un-experienced people see that and decide they don't need to pattern/test their equipment. The advertisement says they can kill a turkey at xx yards., so that is what they try to do. If they have patterned/tested and know what their equipment is doing, then go for it.

I do a lot of bowhunting. I have seen it several time in the last few years at the range and it's usually about 1 week before deer season opens. Somebody shows up and is sighting in their bow. At 30yds they are lucky to hit a paper plate. I will start talking with them and try help them if I can. Usually in the conversation we talked about broadheads. They tell me they are using the newest, greatest head made by brand "X". I ask if they have shot the heads yet. Usually the answer has been I don't need to shoot them, the package says "field point accuracy to XX yards", but I'm going to limit my shots to 40yds. I try to explain to them, that it is not usually the case unless your bow is well tuned and you have good consist form. The response has been, I had the bow to the shop last year and I've been practicing for 2 weeks.

cljohnson24

Quote from: captpete on April 29, 2018, 09:39:12 AM
Quote from: cljohnson24 on April 26, 2018, 09:21:00 AM
I don't understand this prejudice against the concept of taking turkeys at distances beyond 40 yds...if someone has a load proven to possess the lethality and patterns well in his gun at XX distance and he has a valid tag in his hand, then that should be his decision. In the end regardless of his decision to use a blind, decoys, scope, 32" barrel, 3.5" shells, tungsten shot, $100 calls, running and gunning, fanning camo and on and on.....
If it's within game laws and legal, there should be no shame in doing so. 
For those of you who "prefer" what you "prefer" you should cut others some slack, and give them proper credit that they've tested/ patterned their equipment rather than "parrot" on and on the outdated notion of 40 yds based upon inferior turkey loads.

I' e heard these same arguments in Ohio when they first allowed straightwall rifles to our shotgun only deer season....
Sure it's easier with a more accurate weapon and some take longer shots than they should, but that also existed with shotguns, but instead they just sprayed slugs until they hit flesh and hoped they found it....Archers in Ohio freaked out and scrutinized crossbows when they legalized them in the early 80's ...proven fact both of these changes have resulted in less wounded deer because they are more accurate for the every day guy to take that animal..

I get the old 40 yd thing, but new technology HAS extended that range regardless if your secret society of "don't speak of shots beyond 40yds" yet still show patterns of HTL with massive numbers @ 40...
Hmm, why buy HTL loads for overkill at 40? How many will admit they too are guilty of "maximizing" their range...Seems awful hypocritical...

Aren't we all here to help each other fill our tags.? Everyone has a differ t meaning of what "turkey hunting" is to them...for me it's about sitting in a blind with my 11 year old, drinking coffee, setting up decoys, trying calls even though we scare more than attract. We've shot them as close as 32 yds and a few that mentioning will get me banned from this site. They wouldn't come any closer to our calls/decoys. Every shot we've taken we had HIGH confidence would drop those birds on the spot...and guess what? They did..have never lost a bird have never had to stomp on a birds head...

I think a lot of guys should stop judging others and be thankful Turkey hunting per numbers are attracting more hunters..and that's a lot more value than doing things the old fasioned way...

The only issue I have with your statement is "they've tested/ patterned their equipment". The way some companies are marketing the new ammo is part of the problem. Un-experienced people see that and decide they don't need to pattern/test their equipment. The advertisement says they can kill a turkey at xx yards., so that is what they try to do. If they have patterned/tested and know what their equipment is doing, then go for it.

I do a lot of bowhunting. I have seen it several time in the last few years at the range and it's usually about 1 week before deer season opens. Somebody shows up and is sighting in their bow. At 30yds they are lucky to hit a paper plate. I will start talking with them and try help them if I can. Usually in the conversation we talked about broadheads. They tell me they are using the newest, greatest head made by brand "X". I ask if they have shot the heads yet. Usually the answer has been I don't need to shoot them, the package says "field point accuracy to XX yards", but I'm going to limit my shots to 40yds. I try to explain to them, that it is not usually the case unless your bow is well tuned and you have good consist form. The response has been, I had the bow to the shop last year and I've been practicing for 2 weeks.
Then even 40 yds is too far...guys that show up and do the last minute thing will always be there....Guys trying to extend their range are less of a threat than those who have no clue...
Most guys who are new, can't tell u what 40 yds is in the field so buying ammo that pushes the range doesn't mean diddly to them..they are taking shots at 75+ yds anyways:)
Now for the real gurus trying to squeeze every bit of killing power available out there...well chances are they know what they currently have and what they would like to get, but buying Nitros or TSS and other shells that are $20 and above..

Prohunter3509

Winchester long beard leave us alone
We dont need tss

bbcoach

Mr. Johnson, I was going to remain quite but Since I am OLD FASHIONED, I am tired of this prejudice and judging crap that is directed at people that don't conform to present day ideology.  It isn't OLD FASHIONED to accomplish something by calling a turkey into your lap while he gobbles at 10 yards and feeling that last gobble run right up your spine, as he spits and drums the last 50 yards.  Shooting a turkey at less than 10 yards is much more of an accomplishment then sniping him at greater distances.  I'm sick and tired of today's society taking an OPINION that they don't agree with and saying the OLD FASHIONED crowd are prejudice and or judging!  If it makes you feel good to SNIPE a turkey at longer distances have at it (get yourself a participation trophy) as for this OLD FASHIONED hunter, I want that bird I kill to be in my lap doing his HAPPY DANCE, GOBBLING all the way in.  IMO with NO PREJUDICE or JUDGEMENT involved!!!!

cljohnson24

Quote from: bbcoach on May 02, 2018, 07:58:52 AM
Mr. Johnson, I was going to remain quite but Since I am OLD FASHIONED, I am tired of this prejudice and judging crap that is directed at people that don't conform to present day ideology.  It isn't OLD FASHIONED to accomplish something by calling a turkey into your lap while he gobbles at 10 yards and feeling that last gobble run right up your spine, as he spits and drums the last 50 yards.  Shooting a turkey at less than 10 yards is much more of an accomplishment then sniping him at greater distances.  I'm sick and tired of today's society taking an OPINION that they don't agree with and saying the OLD FASHIONED crowd are prejudice and or judging!  If it makes you feel good to SNIPE a turkey at longer distances have at it (get yourself a participation trophy) as for this OLD FASHIONED hunter, I want that bird I kill to be in my lap doing his HAPPY DANCE, GOBBLING all the way in.  IMO with NO PREJUDICE or JUDGEMENT involved!!!!
As said to each their own..I have nothing against those who wish to "dance and romance" turkeys as that is what brings joy to many, but at the same time, you are actually making my point of those who feel the urge to shame those who want to shoot turkeys at longer distances..
I have not nor do I recall anyone shaming guys for calling or getting in close like it HAD to be done when ammo/choke limitations limited them to report to those tactics..

For some of us it's not about "playing with our food" or having weeks to chase around and romance them to 20yds..
If that's how you want to harvest your bird, because you ha e the luxury of time to do so, then by all means carry on...but I believe the discrimination isn't against those choose to wait for those in close shots via calling....In fact it seems more common that anyone expressing a hint or desire to extend their range.beyond40 yds is immediately attacked by an underground code of shaming... as are guys in blinds or fanning...
In the end we each choose to hunt in a manner that matches our time and resources available.. Hunting is different for each of us...and it's not righteous to look down upon others because some  want to do it the old way and feel they have the right to gang up on guys because they want to move forward and adapt their methods of hunting..
Maybe nobody should use camo, or exchange info on turkey boards..
How do address the guys who take turkeys with rifles legally in their states? Honestly it's getting hilarious how hunters judge each other and their methods.
No wonder our numbers are decreasing, with condescending attitudes as abundant as they are amongst our ranks....Why on earth would you actually want to hunt if you were young if you were shunned by the older crowd imposing their way as to how it should be done..

SMH...

Gooserbat

Tss is not a fix all.  I've been on board with it for a few years now and sure it's deadly at longer ranges but it's still turkey hunting and I personally would rather smoke one at 25 than 55.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

KentuckyLB

My opinion is I will would rather kill him at the distance my gun shoots effectively.. When he crosses that line and I have a clear shot it is game on. He can dance his way to the grease.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Magdump on March 01, 2018, 11:53:57 AM
Can you imagine the performance if Winchester substituted TSS for lead in their Long Beard XR product?   I think it would utterly dominate the market for longer range capable shotshells.
Could you imagine if the just glued all the shot together so you could simply slug shoot them in the body.. Well I could shoot birds way over yonder then.

If there's one thing that ruins a good turkey hunt is having some loud mouth feathered Dino strutting and gobbling in my personal space and I'm left defenseless with mere bird shot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DTGobble

Quote from: cljohnson24 on April 26, 2018, 10:21:42 AM
I personally would love to see Winchester offer Shot LOK LB's in HTL.  I mean we already have newbies who shoot at 40 yds and see a beautiful pattern with Lead 6's or 5's dusting birds due to lack of knowledge of its energy...HTL would kill them rather than cripple them at those distances.

I for one would buy them just like the rest of those here w/TSS. I'll admit it would be for the purpose of extending the range of lethality to match the extended range the Longbeard Shot LOK technology has provided.
To me there is more danger in offering a lead 6 load with awesome numbers on paper beyond 40 yet lacking the lethality to do the job at which that pattern becomes insufficient.

Are you really saying lead #5s don't have enough energy to kill a turkey at 40 yards?

LaLongbeard

To bad they don't just make a gun that would shoot into a tiny group at a hundred or more yards so people that do not want to waste time learning to hunt turkeys but could  just kill them at long range across fields etc.
Oh wait....they already did that... it's called a rifle and it's illegal in most states and no self respecting turkeyhunter would stoop to sniping gobblers across fields especially when you could fan them lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Snoodsniper

30_06

I wonder why it is considered sniping turkeys at distances greater than 40 yards but hunting elk at distances of more than 100 yards?

Esse quam videri

LaLongbeard

Quote from: 30_06 on May 26, 2018, 09:12:40 PM
I wonder why it is considered sniping turkeys at distances greater than 40 yards but hunting elk at distances of more than 100 yards?

Esse quam videri
If you have to ask you will never understand.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?