OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What kind of boots

Started by Rzrbac, February 28, 2018, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

Got to try on the Irish Setters this morning. They were comfortable and seemed nice but I question their durability compared to the Lacrosse Grange. I went with the Grange.

tha bugman

I got a pair of Magellan insulated rubber boots from Academy's this deer season that fit me better than any ones I have had before.  Wish they made an un- insulated version, but I am going to wear them as long as I can!

TauntoHawk

I like leather with gaiters over rubber boots. My feet hate rubber boots

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

southern_leo

Rutmaster 2

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rzrbac

I wear gaiters out west, mine don't need seem like they would take the briers around here. What kind of gaiters are you guys using?

dayna105

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 01, 2018, 07:16:07 PM
Irish Setter Vaprtrek snake boots wherever and whenever.

Even where there are no bitey crawlers, I love the ankle support.

Agree with the ankle support. They are great for riding the 4 wheeler in the woods. Wife laughs when I'm outside weed eating in a pair of shorts and my snake boots. You never feel any string or sticks hitting.

dzsmith

lacrosse grange are good boots....but I walk miles and miles. and they just aren't comfortable enough for that style of hunting. great for chores and work....and maybe even bowhunting. but if you cover 3-5 miles on any given day turkey hunting then I wouldn't suggest all rubber boots of any kind. I like neoprene boots. they are more comfortable, but you have to take care of them. if you get 2 good seasons out of a boot after putting the associated miles on themi listed above you did well. I shoot for 3 years myself. lacrosse used to make a boot called the alpha mudlite. it was a thin neoprene boot like 3mm and they were very light and comfortable. lacrosses neoprene outside is fairly abrasive resistant. more so than a muck or irish setter. if the neoprene on a boot is smooth like an irish setter I would stay away from it. stick with a light neoprene boot. lacrosse still has some to offer. im personally not a muck fan but I do know people who love them
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Rzrbac

I agree Grange aren't as comfortable as leather but I can easily do 5 miles in them. I had some years ago. I just put about 3 on them behind the house looking for sheds. I wanted to get them dulled up good.  I like the fit of Mucks better but they just aren't tough enough. I hope to get a few years out of these, I hate spending money on rubber boots.

deer655

Lowa uplanders- non insulated and super waterproof. They are incredibly comfortable and light.

toypar

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 01, 2018, 07:16:07 PM
Irish Setter Vaprtrek snake boots wherever and whenever.

Even where there are no bitey crawlers, I love the ankle support.
Love the comfort and support of these but mine leak

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SouthernStrut

Danner pronghorns, but you gotta take the time to break them in.  If you dont break them in don't complain about how awful they are, because broken in they are some of the best wearing snake boots around.  Check amazon for good deals on them and order a half size smaller than your normal shoe or boot.  I used to wear rubber boots for walking through streams but always tore them up after one season walking up and down hillsides and through briar thickets.  I can handle my feet getting a little wet. Just change socks and try to find a better place to cross next time.
Blake
Southern Strut True Custom Calls
- True Custom Glass, Crystal, Copper, Slate, etc.
www.southernstrutcalls.com

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk.  Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.  It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."  -Fred Bear

High plains drifter

Wolverine makes excellent turkey hunting boots.You can walk miles in them.Around 150 bucks or so.

cutt down

Got a pair of Lacrosse Aerohead snake boots for Christmas. Have to say they are extremely comfortable. Wore them around the house then took them to the woods the other day to scout. Very comfortable. Walked for 2 miles & they are absolutely fantastic. I had muck woody armour for 7 yrs but these are way more comfortable. I use my Danner's in the hills & can't say enough good about them too but for those of you that hunt bottomland hardwoods where you have a water issue & use rubber boots you might consider the Lacrosse aeroheads. I am not affiliated with Lacrosse or any company for that matter. Very surprised with how comfortable this rubber boot is.

Phire Phite

For my first couple years I wore a pair of Cabela's Muck style neoprene upper uninsulated boots.  Never crossed a lot of water, but it was there.  Rubbers never seem to give you the full support though.  Also found that in the aftermornings especially later in the season (season in VT is the month of May, so would sometimes be hunting almost in June: read:HOT) wearing rubber boots would net me about the same wetness as crossing a creek.  I wear a pair of meshy ankle boots or my leather LL Bean work boots now.  Wet grass is the only thing that has bothered me about that so far and never thought about the gaitor thing, I like that idea.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Rzrbac on March 12, 2018, 05:44:57 PM
I wear gaiters out west, mine don't need seem like they would take the briers around here. What kind of gaiters are you guys using?
First lite and they are a lot tougher then the pants I wear which are the first lite kanabs

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>