OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What kind of boots

Started by Rzrbac, February 28, 2018, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrDirtNap

Muck boots are real hard to beat for comfort and that's important to me.  I have a pair of snake boots but seldom wear them.  Muck boots are like wearing tennis shoes and are easy to put on and take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daveb

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 28, 2018, 04:08:54 PM
I honestly don't know how anyone hunts I rubber boots I've tried a few and went fitted and went with room from socks. Never want to hike more then 200yds or go more then 10ft up hill.

I wear leather boots and this year adding gaiters to handle wet grass and thick brush

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would agree with the above and add that I think it depends on the terrain you are hunting. Steep rocky stuff I prefer a stiff sole with good ankle support and I can't get that in a rubber boot. When I hunt wet areas and or have a lot of creek crossings or snow, I add gaiters to the leather boots I've selected for the terrain. Good leather boots are waterproof for all but sustained periods in the water...that's why I don't hunt ducks!
Maybe if I hunted in Florida or other swampy places, I may muck around in some rubber boots but I wouldn't be walking as far.

Daveb

Quote from: DrDirtNap on February 28, 2018, 06:33:21 PM
Muck boots are real hard to beat for comfort and that's important to me.  I have a pair of snake boots but seldom wear them.  Muck boots are like wearing tennis shoes and are easy to put on and take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They call em Muck boots cause that's what your feet feel like after hiking around in em all day! They are warm and waterproof though!

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: Muzzy61 on February 28, 2018, 04:37:18 PM
I hunt in Florida, so don't enter the woods without snake boots. Currently wearing Redheads.
+1. I buy the cheap snake boots from academy, they only seem to be waterproof for a couple of trips here in the N FL swamps, but cottonmouths don't warn you like the rattlers do.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Sixes

Danner Pronghorn snake boots

243kid

Kenetrek the best most comfortable boots l ever wore.

heartofdixie

Quote from: Gobble! on February 28, 2018, 03:07:59 PM
I've always been a rubber boots guy for turkey hunting as I end up crossing lost of small streams. I've tried muck, cabelas, and under armour and never really been sold on any. Got some of the Lacrosse Grange boots in over the weekend. Wore them out to check cameras yesterday and really like them. Super light, far lighter than other boots I have tried, and comfortable. We will see how they hold up this season as I typically put 70ish miles on a par of boots each spring.

I got a question about those rubber lacrosse grange.   I hunt in some real snakey areas in south alabama.  We got some prime habitat for some monster rattlesnakes, water moccasins, and copperheads.  So, I've always worn snake boots when turkey hunting.

However, I've always wanted to get a pair of the rubber lacrosse boots, but worry about getting popped by a snake.  Do you think those rubber lacrosse grange will stop a snake bite?  They seem like fairly tough rubber.  I'm not sure a snake's fangs can go through the rubber.?.?  Do you guys that wear rubber boots worry about snakes at all?

WVhuntEER

My Danner Pronghorns are still going strong after 6 years.   

joeturkey

When we moved  from  PA to Florida back in 1987 I was shocked to see  human  bare  feet  track's  while  turkey  hunting  in South Florida  to  this day  I  still  see  bare feet track's with  all  the  fire ants  and  mosquitoes and  the poisonous snakes  next time I'll  snap a picture of it. I where  keen ankle  boots  .

Tatkins

Le Chameau leather lined rubber boots are my go to.

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: heartofdixie on March 01, 2018, 12:03:28 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on February 28, 2018, 03:07:59 PM
I've always been a rubber boots guy for turkey hunting as I end up crossing lost of small streams. I've tried muck, cabelas, and under armour and never really been sold on any. Got some of the Lacrosse Grange boots in over the weekend. Wore them out to check cameras yesterday and really like them. Super light, far lighter than other boots I have tried, and comfortable. We will see how they hold up this season as I typically put 70ish miles on a par of boots each spring.

I got a question about those rubber lacrosse grange.   I hunt in some real snakey areas in south alabama.  We got some prime habitat for some monster rattlesnakes, water moccasins, and copperheads.  So, I've always worn snake boots when turkey hunting.

However, I've always wanted to get a pair of the rubber lacrosse boots, but worry about getting popped by a snake.  Do you think those rubber lacrosse grange will stop a snake bite?  They seem like fairly tough rubber.  I'm not sure a snake's fangs can go through the rubber.?.?  Do you guys that wear rubber boots worry about snakes at all?
I got bit by a pretty good sized copperhead about 15 years ago, through a pair of the green lacrosse boots, luckily, it was a "dry bite"  not near as much swelling. They still had to cut the boot off my leg, but no antivenom given. Hurt like son of a gun though, I still wear rubber boots, just not near as much in the spring

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Irish Setter Vaprtrek snake boots wherever and whenever.

Even where there are no bitey crawlers, I love the ankle support.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

appalachianassassin

been wearing a pair of redheads for 5 yrs now. they look like a big chunk of shoe-goo ive glued the bottoms back on so many times.

renegade19

Depends on the terrain of the day.  Danner Mountain light hikers, Lacrosse or Bogs knee high rubber boots.

Rzrbac

Anybody try the Irish Setter Rutmaster Lite all rubber boots?  I looked for boots this weekend but seems like the only thing I could find were Mucks. Gonna try a few more places tomorrow and likely to end up with the old Lacrosse Grange boots unless I can somehow find those Irish Setters.