turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New 3rd degree

Started by TauntoHawk, February 28, 2018, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Has anyone gotten their hands on or plans to try the newest version of 3rd degree with TSS and the updated wad. I never heard much good on the older version. Curious to know since the departure of HW If this shell can take it's place on performance since it is priced in that category.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TauntoHawk

I just looked at the payload and ran the numbers. Going to fall in at like 270 pellets in the mix that just isn't going to be ton of hits on paper since longbeard #6 are running 277 it's either going to have to be super tight or the pattern is going to be fairly thin.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

squidd

I've been trying multiple chokes with 3rd Degree and need to keep trying. 

Maybe I'm asking for too much at 40-yds with a 20-ga and this round?  Per the marketing, I expected less hits at 40-yds but assumed I'd get a few more hits than I witnessed.

All shots measured in 10" circle w/ Win SX2/26" barrel with Field Sport reflex site on a cantilevered rib mount.

Suggestions welcomed!

Carlsons  .565 - 20

Carlsons .568 - 31

Win IC - 11

Win Mod - 9

Update 03MAR18

Carlsons .585 - 109 @ 30 yds
                         63 @ 40 yds

This is a keeper until I run out of 3rd Degree.

Phire Phite

Oh boy, that's not encouraging...

chatterbox

Quote from: squidd on March 04, 2018, 07:48:33 AM
I've been trying multiple chokes with 3rd Degree and need to keep trying. 

Maybe I'm asking for too much at 40-yds with a 20-ga and this round?  Per the marketing, I expected less hits at 40-yds but assumed I'd get a few more hits than I witnessed.

All shots measured in 10" circle w/ Win SX2/26" barrel with Field Sport reflex site on a cantilevered rib mount.

Suggestions welcomed!

Carlson .565 - 20

Carlson .568 - 31

Win IC - 11

Win Mod - 9
That's terrible.....

squidd

And at $3-$4 a round expensive........

BandedSpur

Can't say I am surprised. Federal made every mistake in the books with that shell. First of all, TSS 7s are a terrible pellet for a turkey load. They have the ability to kill turkeys at insane distances on a per pellet basis at the expense of no pattern density. And they loaded them on the bottom where they will blow through the other pellets scattering them hither and yon. Flightstopper pellets with their silly rings careen off out of the pattern center even if they don't have bowling balls blasting through and scattering them about. Lead 5s are not a great choice for the 20 ga either, given the light payload in the 20. And they are all wrapped up in a dismal wad. What they have done is create an excellent, though expensive, close range load, and that is all they are. If I wanted a close range load in the 20, I would just use and ounce of lead 6s or 7.5s. They will kill fine to 30 yds, which is about all these Third Degrees are good for.

It is possible to create an all range turkey load, and many handloaders have done so. Layer some TSS 9s over lead 6s in a conventional wad, and you will have a load that does what Federal set out to do with these shells.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 05, 2018, 08:25:48 AM
Can't say I am surprised. Federal made every mistake in the books with that shell. First of all, TSS 7s are a terrible pellet for a turkey load. They have the ability to kill turkeys at insane distances on a per pellet basis at the expense of no pattern density. And they loaded them on the bottom where they will blow through the other pellets scattering them hither and yon. Flightstopper pellets with their silly rings careen off out of the pattern center even if they don't have bowling balls blasting through and scattering them about. Lead 5s are not a great choice for the 20 ga either, given the light payload in the 20. And they are all wrapped up in a dismal wad. What they have done is create an excellent, though expensive, close range load, and that is all they are. If I wanted a close range load in the 20, I would just use and ounce of lead 6s or 7.5s. They will kill fine to 30 yds, which is about all these Third Degrees are good for.

It is possible to create an all range turkey load, and many handloaders have done so. Layer some TSS 9s over lead 6s in a conventional wad, and you will have a load that does what Federal set out to do with these shells.
That's what I was thinking trying to get too fancy a 9 or 8s over 6's 50/50 blend would probably be decent but at 270 total pellets and the shell is designed to open up fast there isn't going to be any density left at 40

A 6 lead 8 TSS load at their 1 7/16oz mark would be 342 pellets which could then possibly keep a pattern similar to the 328 in the HW7s that people saw.  I think a hard hitting but not insanely tight load that produces 130-150 in 10 for that $20 range is where they need to fill the nitch.