OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wow, tss

Started by knightrider, February 27, 2018, 03:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

Never thought I'd see 5  shells sell for 60 bucks! I just ordered 4 boxes of magblend for 88 bucks from Midway. Not matter what you shoot have fun and keep it close that's where the real thrill is :OGturkeyhead:

bbcoach

I'm right there with you.  I don't understand the hype with TSS and the associated cost unless you are shooting a .410 or 20 gauge.  Most turkeys are taken at 20-30 yards and IMO TSS 12 gauge is overkill.  $12 a pop, WOW.  Not my cup of tea but whatever floats your boat.

Izzyjoe

To be honest, I'm not paying that much for a shotgun shell! To me there trying to turn it into turkey sniping. Every turkey hunter I know, knows it's an up close affair, and that if he don't come closer than 75yds you let him walk. But I feel that we should all know our limitations, and accept them like adults. A good pattern that kills at reasonable distances is enough, now how much more do you need? I heard a phrase long ago, "it's 90% Indian, an 10% bow. I've worked with mechanics that have owned thousands in tools, and other techs that owned cheap pawnshop tools, and they could work circles around them! But i have no problem If a guy wants to spend that much on shells, it all comes down to what makes you happy.

Gumby

TSS in 410 and 20 gauge is all I see the use for. In 12 gauge it is overkill but to each his own. None of my business what another man chooses to shoot. I just don't understand why in 12 gauge when Hevi13 or even regular "old" lead is plenty.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Izzyjoe on February 27, 2018, 08:17:43 PM
To be honest, I'm not paying that much for a shotgun shell! To me there trying to turn it into turkey sniping. Every turkey hunter I know, knows it's an up close affair, and that if he don't come closer than 75yds you let him walk. But I feel that we should all know our limitations, and accept them like adults. A good pattern that kills at reasonable distances is enough, now how much more do you need? I heard a phrase long ago, "it's 90% Indian, an 10% bow. I've worked with mechanics that have owned thousands in tools, and other techs that owned cheap pawnshop tools, and they could work circles around them! But i have no problem If a guy wants to spend that much on shells, it all comes down to what makes you happy.

closer than 75 yards? thats about 35 yards too far for me.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 28, 2018, 08:58:26 AM

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic towards the new breed of turkey snipers...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Spitten and drummen

Re read post. was not sarcastic
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gobble!

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 28, 2018, 09:14:49 AM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 28, 2018, 08:58:26 AM

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic towards the new breed of turkey snipers...

x2

bbcoach

Coop, by opening up your pattern and with the enormous numbers of #9 or #10 shot in a 3 or 3 1/2" 12 gauge shell, how many feathers do you have to pick out of the breast of a bird?  With the density and small size of TSS, it's going to blow right through the bird.  Probably clean through, so there's going to be damaged meat and feathers imbedded as well with bigger patterns at closer ranges.  No judgment, just saying.

deadbuck

Not necessarily going to blow right through a bird. I have cleaned several birds that I shot with TSS9 and when I pull the skin back pellets are visible all over. Can pick them out and shoot em again.

Spurs Up

Quote from: Gumby on February 27, 2018, 09:23:14 PM
TSS in 410 and 20 gauge is all I see the use for. In 12 gauge it is overkill but to each his own. None of my business what another man chooses to shoot. I just don't understand why in 12 gauge when Hevi13 or even regular "old" lead is plenty.

Just curious..would you feel the same about a relatively light 12 ga load of TSS?  Say, 1-5/8 oz or less. What if it offered reduced recoil yet outperformed Hevi or good ole lead?  Probably still more expensive...

Izzyjoe

Sure was being sarcastic, don't take life to seriously, it ain't permanent now how!

bbcoach

Quote from: deadbuck on February 28, 2018, 04:34:02 PM
Not necessarily going to blow right through a bird. I have cleaned several birds that I shot with TSS9 and when I pull the skin back pellets are visible all over. Can pick them out and shoot em again.
Another reason not to open up your patterns at close range.  I sure don't want to have to pick shot out of the meat and I sure don't want to bite down on hard shot that I missed while cleaning, when I'm eating some succulent turkey breast.  Keep your patterns tight, have no POA/POI issues and aim only at the head and neck.

Gumby

[quote author=Spurs Up l

Just curious..would you feel the same about a relatively light 12 ga load of TSS?  Say, 1-5/8 oz or less. What if it offered reduced recoil yet outperformed Hevi or good ole lead?  Probably still more expensive...
[/quote]

Spurs Up:
There is no doubt that TSS is a superior load. I am just saying that I personally can't  justify the cost for 12ga as I don't feel the gained advantage is great enough to take on the added expense. That's just my opinion. I shoot TSS in 410 only. I understand wanting to have a dense pattern and every advantage possible so I'm not berating those who shoot it in 12ga. Every bird I have ever killed died just fine with Hevi13 or lead in 12ga loads.

compton30

I always think TSS is a great idea, and then I remember the price! 2 bucks a shot for Longbeards vs 10 bucks a pop for TSS? No brainer.