only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New

Started by bigredtn, February 25, 2018, 11:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredtn

New
Good Evening,
My name is Ryan and I live in Dover,Tn. I have killed many deer but only have been turkey once, called a Tom in and froze and missed my opportunity. I was 10.  I am now 25 with my own 3 boys. I have not hunted at all since I left college in 2012. Now my oldest boy is old enough to hunt so I am just too excited.  Before I did not hunt when the kids were little little but now one is old enough to hunt, he is 8,  i can finally enjoy the outdoors once again, especially with the people I love.  Ill be hunting public for turkeys on my own as I plan on covering alot of ground and alot of ridges.  Ill be hunting federal by myself as well. My boy and wife will be hunting my friends farm land except for youth quota hunts. I have the guns,  the ammo, the calls, gps, cutlery and all the camo I need. Afer I and my son and wife get one with a gun I will be switching it up with my mathews htr no cam. Im glad I found this forum.  Nervous about my first couple times out on my own but Im ready. I have been studying topo maps,gotta get out and personally scout and listen, practicing on short calls and the kids have been training my patience;) any tips for a new turkey hunter? Thanks in advance ya'll.

fallhnt

Welcome, Do some boots on ground scouting and be safe. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

GobbleNut

Hey Ryan,...welcome!  The best thing you can do at this point is read up on stuff here,...and then ask questions about things that aren't exactly clear,...of which there will probably be plenty.   ;D

zelmo1

Welcome and my condolences to your savings account  :funnyturkey:

ggrue

Don't feel bad.  I am avid deer hunter and have had some good luck with deer, but always passed on turkey hunting.  Passed many fall birds with my bow, but plan on hunting the IL spring season. 

I've pattern a flock of birds and know where they like to roost, so hopefully I can connect on one.  Ghillie suit is ready and shotgun has been patterned with #5 Long Beards. 

Sir-diealot

Welcome to the site Ryan, nice to have you here.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Welcome , good luck this spring

mtns2hunt

Welcome to the site. Boots on the ground are good as well as getting out early to listen. However, if you're hunting public you need to hunt smart. Visit your local forestry office and speak to one of the biologists or any forestry personnel. They are out all year and can clue you into Turkeys. I typically have good luck around clear cuts located close to Oak ridges. I also flag down any game warden I see and ask him to point me in the right direction.

Good luck
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

pabossie255

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

tha bugman

ddturkeyhunter

Ryan welcome, you will do fine, but just remember incase you don't a bird remember it is call HUNTING. A lot of us had a few year of hunting before we kill our first birds. Just hope to hear them Gobbles, its the excitement, anticipation, and with young kids the LOOKs on there faces, enjoy the many years to come.

Meadow Valley Man

bigredtn

Thank ya'll for the warm welcomes and the motivation.  I can not wait to get out this season, especially with my son, and call some gobblers.  Thanks again ya'll!! :turkey2:

callaway71

I live near you so don't hesitate to ask me any questions. I'd be glad to help out as much as possible. Also, my son will be hunting for the first time this year too. It's going to be a great season.