OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hornady Heavy Turkey loads

Started by Daveb, February 25, 2018, 09:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveb

Someone referred to this ammo as garbage. I have been happy using the Heavy Coyote BB loads on Coyotes and am new to turkey hunting. Thought I would give these a try as well as some Win Long-beards. Am I wasting money trying the Hornady?

Happy

No. If it works for you then use it. I believe the turkey loads were what were being referenced. I never tried them personally but their marketing pictures of patterns where abysmal.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

Quote from: Daveb link=topic=79550.msg772269#msg772269 date=1519612522[/auote. Thought I would give these a try as well as some Win Long-beards. Am I wasting money trying the Hornady?

Yes.    Yes you are.

If you were gonna try the Win LBX shells, too.........   Save your time with the Hornady loads.

Very few instances where I'd tell someone NOT to try a turkey shell.   But this is one of them.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TauntoHawk

With turkey loads pattern is everything if you were making a list of efficient patterning loads they'd be pretty far down is probably what was ment by the post. The longbeards will shoot better I can almost garentee that

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hobbes

If you want conventional copper plated lead, Id recommend Winchester Supremes and forget the Hornady.  Winchester Lonbeards will out perform both, but can make it easy to miss close shots.

Old Gobbler

I wouldn't call them garbage. ..but I certainly would not call them advanced compared to other offerings , but if you patern them and know your limitations it will kill a turkey

I've seen a few posts about them when they were introduced,  and folks were having a difficult time trying to get them to pattern well
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Johnnemily

Longbeard xr 15 a box at Wally World best lead load u can buy and that cost isn't much when u consider the money your spending on turkey hunting itself imho
#still hunting by the grace of god#

joey46

If I'm not mistaken they used the old federal flight control wad that hates a ported choke. If you do buy them try a standard non-ported modified or full and go from there.  I haven't seen these on the self anywhere for a year or two.  Good luck.  BTW - I do like Hornady rifle ammo but this shotgun load may not have been their best effort.

slicksbeagles1

I tried them and did not like them there are better options

Bowguy

I agree w most of what's here I've never seen them pattern great. If you patterned it and stayed within its effective range pattern wise it'll kill a bird. I'd just not recommend that load. It's not one of the better ones imo

Turk1

I believe BB size shot is illegal in most states!

Bowguy

Quote from: Turk1 on February 26, 2018, 06:43:21 AM
I believe BB size shot is illegal in most states!
I don't think anyone here uses bb for turkeys. Quite the opposite. He said bb for coyotes and I don't think the other B.B. references were actually meaning size.
No maybe I'm wrong the op might be asking about his coyote shells

howl

You can probably find posts of results by someone else with the same model gun you have. Save time and money.

Spitten and drummen

just get the long beards and dont look back. They pattern awesome in MOST guns and plain kill turkeys. Heard nothing but bad about the Hornady turkey loads.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

renegade19

I bought a couple boxes because the price was very cheap.  They did not work well for me and I won't hunt with them.  Your gun, you never know.