OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Franchi Affinity POA/POI Question

Started by Josh Snyder, February 25, 2018, 08:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Snyder

Just shot the new gun to check poi/poa before patterning the gun (still have to order the Carlson .575 choke but have the HW 7s).  I shot the factory full choke with game load (7/8 oz) #8s.  At 25 yards off a sled, my patterns look really good left to right.  However, the center of my patterns were about 6-7" high from where I was aiming.

I have a couple questions.  First, what are some non-scope options you guys have found to work well on that gun, or in general (fiber optic or different beads)?  Second question, should I make that sight adjustment now, or wait until I get the Carlson .575 installed?  I wasn't sure if the choke would have much of an impact on poa/poi.

Thanks in advance for the help!

BrowningGuy88

If it is a double bead setup, were you stacking the beads? If so, just pull them down in line. Otherwise, you have to make a decision of adjustable sight or an optic.

Josh Snyder

It's a single bead. 

For those of you who are using sights, did you remove the factory bead or just place the new sight in front of it?

Spurs Up

Haven't seen or heard of one that shoots 6-7" high at 25 yds. They are generally well regarded as shooting POA.  Time to test yours some more and if it's still even half that high, send it back.

I would guess that mine is roughly 60/40.  Great for clays and wingshooting. For turkeys and tight chokes, I make sure no more than 1/2 the bead is visible above the rib.

Josh Snyder

Thanks for the feedback.  With a bead as small as the one on that gun I'm not sure I'd want to hold any lower/expose less of the bead.  I am guessing if I held with 1/2 the bead exposed I would be pretty close to POA.  Holding normally, I would guess it to be closer to 80/20...maybe a touch worse. I'll give Franchi a call.

whiskey

You can buy taller fiber optic sights that replace the bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spurs Up

Quote from: whiskey on March 02, 2018, 06:25:41 PM
You can buy taller fiber optic sights that replace the bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What he said. A bigger front bead will help.

surehuntsalot

I have the fiber optic sights installed in front of the bead on my stoger3020
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

sasquatch1

make sure you aren't seeing any of the top of the rib. if you are you doing the same thing as "stacking the beads"

Josh Snyder

Thanks guys.  I called Franchi and gave them the details (distance, shells, sled, POA/POI, etc).  They said it shouldn't be that high and asked me to send the gun back for inspection.  They've had the gun for a few days now.  Impressed so far with their customer service.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks again for the help and feedback.

yankeedeerslayer

I have a Beretta Urika. I had a question why my gun was shooting high with any load I was informed by a Beretta guy that the reason is Italians and other European shooters look over the bead or put the bead under the target where as Americans put the bead on the target for what its worth.
US Army Vet

Josh Snyder

I received the gun back from Franchi with a higher bead.  Put in the Carlson .575 and shot both the HW 7s and game loads at 20 and 40 yards.  Elevation is ok now with the new bead, but now I am 2" left at both distances.  Pretty frustrated and may just put a red dot on it.  Recommendations other than the Burris?  From what I can tell, I will just need the Weaver rail to fit the gun.   

Spurs Up

Quote from: Josh Snyder on March 09, 2018, 04:50:57 PM
I received the gun back from Franchi with a higher bead.  Put in the Carlson .575 and shot both the HW 7s and game loads at 20 and 40 yards.  Elevation is ok now with the new bead, but now I am 2" left at both distances.  Pretty frustrated and may just put a red dot on it.  Recommendations other than the Burris?  From what I can tell, I will just need the Weaver rail to fit the gun.

???  That doesn't make sense that you would be off by an identical windage margin at 20 yards and double that distance.