OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Apex

Started by Bottomland, February 25, 2018, 04:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland

Anyone not have good results from the TSS loads?  I shot some APEX (#8 and blend) this weekend out of my SBE2 24'' barrel and rob Robert 670 choke and I did not get the results I figured I would. Guess I don't have the right choke.  Not real impressed.  Shot some nitro TSS and it performed pretty good.  Still don't know if its enough to make me change from shooting the older hevishot nitro 4x5x7. 

Gobble!

What payloads were you shooting and what kind of numbers were you getting?

Fullfan

Agreed something is not right, I bought some Apex 20ga loads last May and shot them after the season. They were right on track with my hand loads, 300 + - in the 10 at 41 yds.  Shooting #9 shot.
Don't gobble at me...

Bottomland

I shot the 3'' Smalltown blend and 3'' straight #8.  I shot them both at turkey head targets so haven't done the numbers on them but I just compared them to the other shells I tested and its just about the same.  Did not see any substantial increase in pattern density.  I just don't think they like the choke I have.  I've got a Indian creek I wish I would have tested but was hesitant since I only have two boxes.

I would post pics of them but can figure out how to get the attachments to work.

Bottomland

Just counted the straight #8 pattern bc I did shoot at a poster board.  I only counted 267 in the 10''.

Same gun shooting nitro 4x5x7 I'm over 300 consistently.

davisd9

Good numbers for 8s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Fl strutter

The patterns will surprise you if u count them even if they don't look like more they may be. In my 870 nothing compared to Indian creek chokes.

Boilermaker

670 in an SBE2 is pretty wide.  Benellis are inherently tighter bore guns; you may want to try a tighter choke and see if it improves.  If the IC choke is a .665 give it a run and see if it helps.  It took a .655 to get mine to throw the patterns I was looking for at 40 yards.  But in all fairness, 267 in the 10" is not bad but it sounds like you're looking for a tighter profile.

Fullfan

Quote from: Bottomland on February 25, 2018, 07:29:03 PM
Just counted the straight #8 pattern bc I did shoot at a poster board.  I only counted 267 in the 10''.

267 in the 10" I would hunt that all day long. And with the Nitro loads you cam bet many of the holes in your paper are the #7's.  TSS #8 will smash them. Remember TSS #8  have  254 pellets per oz where TSS #9 have 362 pellets pre oz.
Don't gobble at me...

Deast1988

I seen ss of that guy who blew up his gun with small town blends. Looked like a high primer or something blew his whole chamber up.

BandedSpur

Don't know if you were shooting 2 or 2.25 oz loads, but at any rate 267/10 with 8s is very, very good. And as another poster mentioned, TSS 8s penetrate better than the HS 4s in those Nitro loads and waaaay better than the 5s and 7s.

Gobble!

Quote from: Bottomland on February 25, 2018, 07:29:03 PM

If you were looking for big #s straight 9s is the only way to go.

267 with straight 8s is great. If your shooting the 2.25oz loads that would be 41% of your load or 46% if your shooting the 2oz loads. Those are great percentages and what many look for in hunting patterns. I would assume your 20" pattern looked pretty good.

I'll take 267 TSS #8s over a Nitro 4x5x7 300 pattern any day.

taylorjones20

Quote from: Gobble! on February 26, 2018, 09:18:02 AM

I'll take 267 TSS #8s over a Nitro 4x5x7 300 pattern any day.

I agree!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Bottomland

Thanks for the input.  Im trying to post some of the pics of the patterns but cant figure out how to do so. 

I think also Im going to try a Indian creek .665 with the TSS and see what it does.

I did see a post on facebook about a round malfunctioning but didnt get to read the entire post before i couldnt find it.

Bottomland