OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 3/4" Federal HW 7's

Started by captpete, February 24, 2018, 08:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captpete

Run across a bunch of Federal 2 3/4" HW7's. Anybody have any experience with these? They would mainly be for the wife to use out of a Mossberg SA-20 Bantam. I haven't had a chance to pattern the gun yet with any chokes. I do have a Tru-Lock HW7 choke(.565) and a Hevi-13(.573). I'm ooking for a solid pattern at 35, but not to tight at 15-20. The gun will have a Vortex Venom red-dot on it. Any other chokes to look at?

Swampchickin234

Good ol Carlson .575 might be hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyfever

I use the same shell for my 9 year old, it is a great load. He killed his first last year with them. He is shooting a mosseberg youth model and I leave the modified choke in for him to allow a little more play in the pattern. I have shot both a carlsons non ported .575 and a tru glo ssx with that shell and both shot great. The tru glo was just too tight for him at this age so I left the modified in.  Either one of these choke tubes will give you the results you are wanting i do believe!

captpete

Thanks for the info. I picked up a Carlson non-ported .575 yesterday for $27 shipped.

Brwndg

I shud have looked at the forum closer before posting my post about the Fed HW 7s 2 3/4".
Where do u get the Carlson choke for $27 delivered?
Thanks
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

captpete

Teduardo

Quote from: Turkeyfever on February 24, 2018, 01:12:33 PM
I use the same shell for my 9 year old, it is a great load. He killed his first last year with them. He is shooting a mosseberg youth model and I leave the modified choke in for him to allow a little more play in the pattern. I have shot both a carlsons non ported .575 and a tru glo ssx with that shell and both shot great. The tru glo was just too tight for him at this age so I left the modified in.  Either one of these choke tubes will give you the results you are wanting i do believe!
I have this same gun but got better results out of my Beretta 303 when shooting Winchester 3" Double X 1 5/16 #5s. But I haven't tried the Heavyweight through the Mossberg 500 youth yet. Right now it has factory chokes and I have a bone collector choke for it. The Mossberg fits my daughter better. Without rambling too long...do you have any pattern pics from the Carlson's or SSX?

Brwndg

BOOM!  Done. Thanks for the link
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Turkeyfever

I looked for my pictures but do not have them anymore. The mossberg was the first 20 gauge I bought when I wanted to start using a 20. I used it killed some birds and passed it down. I now use a mosseberg Sa 20 Turkey thug and recently bought a tri star raptor youth. I shot that mossberg sveral times to pattern the gun , the tru glo ssx is the tube I hunted with and it was impressive. I will tell you another good tube out if that gun that I used the first year I had it was the Primos tightwad it is.570. Sorry Tedaurdo that I could not find them.

Teduardo

Thanks for the info, man. No worries on not having any pics. I'm going to start by shooting the Heavyweights through the factory full, then the TSS and go from there.