OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Practicing on a domesticated turkey?

Started by Sir-diealot, February 23, 2018, 12:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

Oh CALLING practice!   I thought I was still in the shooting area.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Brwndg

"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Brwndg on March 02, 2018, 05:46:31 PM
Domestics gobble at EVERYTHING
That seems to be the consensuses, thanks for the reply.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

BD

You will learn more from being quiet and listening

Sir-diealot

Quote from: BD on March 03, 2018, 09:50:00 PM
You will learn more from being quiet and listening
Has worked well for me in other things in life too :) Thanks for the reply.

John Koenig:

Marc

I would think that domestic turkeys could give some real insight...

I would pay careful attention to the contented sounds that hens make on the low end while eating and resting.
I would pay extra careful attention to the sounds that hens make just before and during the actual breeding process.
I would pay attention to the cadence and inflection of calls during socialization, relaxation, and danger...

Sounds like a unique opportunity to learn a bit and have a little fun...  Admittedly, whether helpful or not, I would call at those toms and try to work them up...  Just for the heck of it.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

I will have to find somebody else with turkeys, my friend only has the tom and 2 poult hens at this time.

John Koenig: