turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Practicing on a domesticated turkey?

Started by Sir-diealot, February 23, 2018, 12:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

So I was thinking of going to my friends house and practicing on his domesticated turkey Gobbletrot. What I want to know is will practicing my sweet nothings on Gobbletrot be of any good to me or should I let him be to look for love elsewhere?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

southern_leo

You'll get reaction gobbles I'd think, but you won't gain much I don't think. I'd imagine you'll gain more sitting out of sight and just listen to them and how they communicate to each other. Just my. 02

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Thanks, had a feeling that might be the case.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

MK M GOBL

So I can give you some real life experience with this, The answer is YES!
(Not just from a tom, I'm talking a farmyard "flock")

So when I first started to turkey hunt there was no one around to learn anything from, I was as green as they come. But what I did have was a way learn about turkey "hunting" calling as my dad had domestic/wild cross free ranging bronze breasted turkeys on the farm. But I also learned so much more from these birds. Now the gobbler really couldn't fly and would only roost about 6ft off the ground but those hens would get themselves up in a tree. So I learned a lot from these birds, I learned how to talk turkey from hen turkeys and I learned about rhythm, cadence and inflection. I learned what they said in the morning before flydown, learned what they said once they were on the ground I learned their language and when and how to use it. I learned about dominance in a flock both hens, toms and jakes. I watched how these birds interacted with each other on a daily basis. I learned how a tom displayed for the hen and when a hen was willing to breed and her body language. I picked up intricacies of their social interactions that have helped me understand their behavior. Those birds were my teachers and I was in school.

I would tell you there is a lot you could learn if you listen, watch and study everything they are doing, a turkey is a turkey in many ways and yes the "wild" birds do have some different instincts. But you will learn things that most never will...
Don't pass up the opportunity!

MK M GOBL

Happy

I disagree somewhat. You can still call to them and see what certain calls get the best response from them. You can also listen to them and mimic every call they make as Southern Leo suggested. I had a pet wild strain turkey gobbler as a child. He taught me a lot. And not just in calling. Granted a turkey that does not have a fear humans is a little more laid back but watching how they react to different situations is very informative. Now I would not put a domesticated turkey in the same class as a wild strain bird but there are a few traits that they share. One is curiosity.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Cottonmouth

Focus more on the hen talk than what a tame gobbler gobbles at. (which is everything btw)

dzsmith

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 23, 2018, 12:21:42 AM
So I was thinking of going to my friends house and practicing on his domesticated turkey Gobbletrot. What I want to know is will practicing my sweet nothings on Gobbletrot be of any good to me or should I let him be to look for love elsewhere?
Don't waste your time. I grew up with tame turkeys and it had its benefits, but as far as getting a male bird to gobble at you.....its a waste of time. they will gobble at the snapping of fingers. they will gobble at anything.....getting used to turkey sounds is good....but it wont teach you much in reguards to actually hunting a wild turkey
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Spitten and drummen

You can shout at a domestic turkey and he will gobble. A tame turkey will gobble at any and everything non stop. If you want to get better find domestic hens to listen to. You will be surprised at how many different sounds they make. You will get nothing from calling a domestic gobbler as far as experience but you will get a truckload of confidence. Confidence kills birds so you be the judge.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Cane Cutter

Quote from: Cottonmouth on February 23, 2018, 06:19:33 AM
Focus more on the hen talk than what a tame gobbler gobbles at. (which is everything btw)
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bringin tha boom to ya room!

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

Quote from: guesswho on February 23, 2018, 10:01:34 AM
Kind of like practicing on your cousin.
My cousins are too easy to call in. Just shake a pill bottle and wait.

TauntoHawk

I thought you were going to practice shooting... I'd say that would work just fine
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Happy

My cousins? That's a bit excessive. I just avoid them and let the local law enforcement keep tabs on them. They seem to be on a first name basis by now.

guesswho

Quote from: Happy on February 23, 2018, 12:12:27 PM
My cousins? That's a bit excessive. I just avoid them and let the local law enforcement keep tabs on them. They seem to be on a first name basis by now.
Trust me, I know.  Most of my kin folk are from Boone county. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

Alas poor Gobbletrot does not have a love, his owners just got a pair of hens for him but at this time they are still jailbait and of no use to him. In a short time he will find love as they mature from annoying little poults into full fledged hens and then I am sure there will be lots of  :turkey2: going on.

Thanks for all the comments, very informative. and a few a bit scary (Cousins) and yet funny at the same time. I have a few of those cousins myself, that is why I keep my meds locked in the gun safe.

I will have to see if any of the Mennonites in the area have a turkey farm and if they will let me sit around in the wee hours of the morning.

John Koenig: