OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Used 835

Started by toypar, February 22, 2018, 10:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toypar

I just bought a used 835 with a kicks #680 choke. Just planning to shoot 3 inch shells. What would be the first shells to look at in lead and heavy shot for this gun, choke comb.
Also what kind of scope base do I need to get for it? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

old3toe

I know someone who uses this same combo. He bought the gun when it came out new in the late 80's I believe it was. He shot a Hastings choke in it from day one till he switched to a kicks .680 about 15 years ago. Honestly I haven't seen much that wouldn't shoot good through it, both lead and hevi loads. I tried his GT .680 and a GT .685 in my 20" barrel 835 with great results too. Win high velocity 5's and 6's 3" and 3.5" were always at the top for lead loads and hevi 13 5's and 6's 3.5" for hi density loads. Longbeards are the best for lead loads now. I wouldn't think you'll have much trouble finding a shell that'll shoot a good killing pattern out to 40yds with that combo.

toypar

Thanks old3toe I have shot the win high velocity in my other gun. Liked them a lot but like it have about 2 shells left #5. I will give them a try

davisd9

Lead I would do Longbeards #5

HTL I would do Hevi 6s or Mag Blends.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mbowyer51

My 835 liked LB #6's the nest.