OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is the 3" 20 ga round obsolete for turkey hunting?

Started by Fast Freddy, February 22, 2018, 11:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Quote from: Fast Freddy on February 22, 2018, 09:13:05 PM
Quote from: Spurs Up on February 22, 2018, 08:07:37 PM
Quote from: Fast Freddy on February 22, 2018, 04:35:35 PM
Not saying obsolete as in they won't make 3" guns anymore, just saying that it doesn't make sense to shoot 3" loads when we are pushing the envelope attaining near 1300 fps with fairly heavy payloads, and well within safe pressures.

Not sure I understand. Everything else being equal, the shorter shell will have higher pressure than the longer one.

I'm not talking equal. I'm talking about 2 3/4" shells that will run in any 20 ga made, and preform deep into 3" Load territory. All within pressures that would allow you to shoot it in your granddaddy's 100 yr old 2 3/4" only gun. A 3" round won't do that.
Why would shell manufacturers care about your grandfathers  old gun? Tons of newer guns out here and there gun companies want to sell new ones. Along with choke companies want to sell more tubes.
So far the only good turkey loads are 3" in major factory loads .
Most people will perceive  2 3/4" loads for kids and quail.
Making loads for ole guns is a greater liability risk for them too and pressure will be reduced.

Fast Freddy

Quote from: owlhoot on February 24, 2018, 10:52:45 AM
Quote from: Fast Freddy on February 22, 2018, 09:13:05 PM
Quote from: Spurs Up on February 22, 2018, 08:07:37 PM
Quote from: Fast Freddy on February 22, 2018, 04:35:35 PM
Not saying obsolete as in they won't make 3" guns anymore, just saying that it doesn't make sense to shoot 3" loads when we are pushing the envelope attaining near 1300 fps with fairly heavy payloads, and well within safe pressures.

Not sure I understand. Everything else being equal, the shorter shell will have higher pressure than the longer one.

I'm not talking equal. I'm talking about 2 3/4" shells that will run in any 20 ga made, and preform deep into 3" Load territory. All within pressures that would allow you to shoot it in your granddaddy's 100 yr old 2 3/4" only gun. A 3" round won't do that.
Why would shell manufacturers care about your grandfathers  old gun? Tons of newer guns out here and there gun companies want to sell new ones. Along with choke companies want to sell more tubes.
So far the only good turkey loads are 3" in major factory loads .
Most people will perceive  2 3/4" loads for kids and quail.
Making loads for ole guns is a greater liability risk for them too and pressure will be reduced.

Not 100% talking factory loads, but I believe it would be advantageous for a manufacturer to produce a 2 3/4 that preforms better than any existing 3", and will cycle in virtually every 20 ga in existence.

As for the grandfathers gun comment, Hevi makes classic doubles ammo, for older guns. And for handloads, some folks want to kill a bird with grandpas old gun, and why limit yourself, if the capability is there?

owlhoot

If you are handloading , bang away.
Classic double loads , not to great in my experience.
Grandfather old gun , old guns , have tried many. Old style guns , tried them too.
It's neat and fun. Old single shots make for good close in turkey hunting.
Make a 2 3/4 that performs better than a 3" ? Why would they worry about that?
Is it even possible?
loads for 2 3/4 " already that may help.

20 guage
Apex tss

HW 7's buy some fast
Not better than the 3" of the same but will work.

Fast Freddy

Quote from: owlhoot on February 24, 2018, 06:32:56 PM
If you are handloading , bang away.
Classic double loads , not to great in my experience.
Grandfather old gun , old guns , have tried many. Old style guns , tried them too.
It's neat and fun. Old single shots make for good close in turkey hunting.
Make a 2 3/4 that performs better than a 3" ? Why would they worry about that?
Is it even possible?
loads for 2 3/4 " already that may help.

20 guage
Apex tss

HW 7's buy some fast
Not better than the 3" of the same but will work.

There are already 2 different 20 ga 2 3/4" loads that I know of, that perform better than any 3" shell available. Both are 1 5/8 oz, one has a velocity of 1260 fps, and the other 1285 fps, and both are said to be well under SAAMI max pressure, and both pattern as well as any 3" load. So yes it is possible, and has already been done. Again I go back to the fact that a 2 3/4" load will run in virtually any 20 ga shotgun, which is a big advantage over the 3".

Spurs Up

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Spurs Up on February 25, 2018, 10:22:18 AM
This is a zombie thread... :wave:

I agree

I still shoot 3"steel for ducks, have been known to pop one off at a pheasant, deer and predator hunt with 3" shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase