OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal tss pattern

Started by Tcagle, February 21, 2018, 06:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

g8rvet

If you want to chase numbers and enjoy shooting your gun, you could probably do some tweaking.

If ya just wanna kill a turkey stone dead, you are good to go. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bbcoach

That is a dead bird for sure with 3 1/2 TSS 9's.  326 with a 3 1/2" TSS 9's does seem to be low.  I can get 300 plus with 3 1/2" Hevi-13 7's.  With 9's, I figured the pellet count would be significently higher.

fountain2

Nope, because of the physical weight of the shot.  9s weigh more, therefore they may equal the same amount of hevi 7s. 

Are you able to count up all hits on that?  I'd be curious to know the total hits to see what it totals to.

Gobble!

Quote from: fountain2 on February 22, 2018, 09:40:23 PM
Nope, because of the physical weight of the shot.  9s weigh more, therefore they may equal the same amount of hevi 7s. 

Are you able to count up all hits on that?  I'd be curious to know the total hits to see what it totals to.

360 TSS #9s per oz
280 HeviShot #7s per oz

He has roughly 810 pellets in that 2.25oz load. Would be interesting to know his count in be densest part of his pattern.

Tcagle

Highest I could come up with was 327 in a 10in circle... I just ordered a jebs .655 choke I know I'm just chasing numbers now.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

bbcoach

:christmaswindow: :christmaswindow:
Quote from: Gobble! on February 22, 2018, 10:26:25 PM
Quote from: fountain2 on February 22, 2018, 09:40:23 PM

360 TSS #9s per oz
280 HeviShot #7s per oz

He has roughly 810 pellets in that 2.25oz load. Would be interesting to know his count in be densest part of his pattern.
810 vs 630 = 180 more pellets.  Should definitely be more pellets on target.  I would think 400 or a little better.  I would love to see this pattern on a 30 x 30 target.  I would hope most of the 810 pellets would be in the 20" circle.

joker

If you are not getting 400+ in the 10" with 2.25oz of TSS#9 you are not getting what you are paying for. I would be getting a new choke if it were me. Don't get me wrong, that is still a good pattern. It would work great for someone that closes his eyes when he shoots. Some people like a 30" hunting pattern.

davisd9

Shoot one bird with it and you will see why chasing better numbers than that is a waste of time and money.  Good luck.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

kwild835

Quote from: Tcagle on February 22, 2018, 10:44:08 PM
Highest I could come up with was 327 in a 10in circle... I just ordered a jebs .655 choke I know I'm just chasing numbers now.

Just to help you be confused.  A invector plus gun probably isn't going to like a .655 with TSS.  I would open it up and go with a .680 Carlson's or larger choke.   I have a couple chokes you could try if interested.
This was shot with my 24" barrel Browning Gold with 2.25 350 Count TSS 9's

TauntoHawk

what I like is that to get decent density in 10 you can still have a great 20" pattern.. to me thats the huge advantage not that you can get 300+ in the 10 but you can get another 300+ in the 20 ring.. Remove the chasing paper numbers from the site here in the woods you want as large of a margin of error while having a devastating density.

I have never turned 10 numbers with any shell worth bragging about on here but a solid 15-20" pattern that allows me to go 100% on turkeys in real life scenarios is far more important.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

davisd9

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 23, 2018, 10:31:52 AM
what I like is that to get decent density in 10 you can still have a great 20" pattern.. to me thats the huge advantage not that you can get 300+ in the 10 but you can get another 300+ in the 20 ring.. Remove the chasing paper numbers from the site here in the woods you want as large of a margin of error while having a devastating density.

I have never turned 10 numbers with any shell worth bragging about on here but a solid 15-20" pattern that allows me to go 100% on turkeys in real life scenarios is far more important.

Great post!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: kwild835 on February 23, 2018, 09:49:48 AM

Just to help you be confused.  A invector plus gun probably isn't going to like a .655 with TSS.  I would open it up and go with a .680 Carlson's or larger choke.   I have a couple chokes you could try if interested.

I think that pattern was in my dream the other night.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: kwild835 on February 23, 2018, 09:49:48 AM

With what choke??

kwild835