News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS IS NO JOKE!!!!

Started by RiverRoost, February 18, 2018, 09:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: RemingtonRules on February 18, 2018, 10:17:22 PM
Until they come out with #4 shot I am not switching.  Hunt paper all you want.

You can get TSS #4s, people been killing coyotes and deer with them.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 19, 2018, 09:51:58 AM
First batch I got to handload I could not believe how small the bag was, I had to weigh it to confirm I hadnt been swindled, not really you could feel the weight but I was like that's it?

Pellets are extremely consistent and what I liked most was I weighed all components and after loading my shells they were all virtually Identical in weight!

Same way I felt with the first bag that I got.  I was like man, I thought there would be more than this by its weight and cost.  haha
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Big Jeremy

Quote from: RiverRoost on February 18, 2018, 09:01:08 PM
Just wish they'd of had a hevi weight jar for further comparison.

Hevi-Shot is coming in at 1 gram per cubic centimeter (gcc) denser than lead. Lead weighs a little over 11 gcc. Hevi is about 12.5 gcc. The TSS comes in at about 7 gcc denser than lead, averaging about 18 gcc. So, even compared to Hevi-Shot, the TSS is substantially more dense. For comparison, Federal Heavyweight is about middle of the road, at 15 gcc.

So, as to wishing there had been a jar of hevi-shot to compare with, you would have found little difference between it and lead, and quite a bit of difference between heavy-shot and TSS.

trkehunr93

Funny, you trying to decapitate one? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozarks Hillbilly

I understand the theory of how TSS allows folks to use smaller gauge guns to humanely kill turkeys at a reasonable distances. It hits harder penetrates deeper and kills more deader.  I am hesitant to switch from HTL to TSS biggest concern is the wear and tear on my gun barrel and choke tube. I have IMO a screwed up choke tube from HTL shot. I have seen buddies chokes and have seen pictures and remarks from others here on OG of the same sort of thing. With that being said I know that TSS is even harder that HTL I assume this would only compound that wear and tear. I just wonder if anyone has seen excessive wear and tear on their equipment from shooting TSS.

Gobble!

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on February 19, 2018, 01:26:08 PM
I understand the theory of how TSS allows folks to use smaller gauge guns to humanely kill turkeys at a reasonable distances. It hits harder penetrates deeper and kills more deader.  I am hesitant to switch from HTL to TSS biggest concern is the wear and tear on my gun barrel and choke tube. I have IMO a screwed up choke tube from HTL shot. I have seen buddies chokes and have seen pictures and remarks from others here on OG of the same sort of thing. With that being said I know that TSS is even harder that HTL I assume this would only compound that wear and tear. I just wonder if anyone has seen excessive wear and tear on their equipment from shooting TSS.

Not sure how many HeviShot shells I shot through my gun and a .665 Indian Creek, maybe 50? Say roughly another 25 TSS shells through a .675 Indian Creek. I see no signs of wear in the barrel. The wad strippers in the .665 do show very minimal signs of wear and I have not noticed any impact on the pattern. The .675 may show some signs as well if i remember correctly. I'll check tonight.

davisd9

My handloads use a very heavy wad and also I add extra protection with mylar.  I have just a place carlson 575 and I see no signs of wear and such.  I would guess I have shot 20-25 TSS shells through it.

dirt road ninja

I have had a choke scared by TSS. It is still hunting in the gun with the same loads that scared it. 0 difference in performance.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: davisd9 on February 19, 2018, 10:02:50 AM

You can get TSS #4s, people been killing coyotes and deer with them.

I've thought about loading 4's or 5's, think it would be a great body shot load.

Sand Man

Quote from: davisd9 on February 19, 2018, 01:38:59 PM
My handloads use a very hevi wad and also I add extra protection with mylar.  I have just a place carlson 575 and I see no signs of wear and such.  I would guess I have shot 20-25 TSS shells through it.

Ditto except I've shot 100+ loads thru my gun.  Even if I did scratch the barrel, I'd just polish it.  I bet a slightly over bored barrel would really throw a great pattern.   :toothy12:

How hard do you think waterfowl steel is?  I've put 100s of 1000s.  I'd be willing to be over 10,000 rounds of steel thru a shotgun and have yet to see a scratched barrel or deformed choke.

Don't let excessive equipment wear from TSS stop you from shooting it.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

g8rvet

Quote from: Sand Man on February 19, 2018, 02:06:30 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 19, 2018, 01:38:59 PM
My handloads use a very hevi wad and also I add extra protection with mylar.  I have just a place carlson 575 and I see no signs of wear and such.  I would guess I have shot 20-25 TSS shells through it.

Ditto except I've shot 100+ loads thru my gun.  Even if I did scratch the barrel, I'd just polish it.  I bet a slightly over bored barrel would really throw a great pattern.   :toothy12:

How hard do you think waterfowl steel is?  I've put 100s of 1000s.  I'd be willing to be over 10,000 rounds of steel thru a shotgun and have yet to see a scratched barrel or deformed choke.

Don't let excessive equipment wear from TSS stop you from shooting it.
When I first read your numbers, i was thinking you were crazy.  Then I thought about when Steel was introduced.  Then I thought about how many boxes of shells I shoot in a year on average-chasing ducks and geese in FL, MS and Canada.  Then I got to thinking two more things...........................

You are right

and

we are old! 

LOL  Same here, no damage I can see from similar numbers of steel.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Bigeclipse

Many TSS shooters swear no issue with barrels but have had a little bit of scarring on the chokes (especially using really tight chokes). But here is the kicker, TSS loads use SOOO many more pellets than lead that you actually do not want ultra tight chokes. Simple factory full chokes are what is usually recommended for best patterns. This means going back to buying 30 dollar chokes versus aftermarket 50+ dollar chokes. Get yourself an extra choke and you will be good for dozens of years of turkey hunting. Don't forget there are many goose and duck hunters using steel and TSS shot and they tend to shoot LOTS more than us turkey hunters with little to no wear and tare. As an FYI #9 shot penetrates as well or better than #5 turkey loads at 40 yards on ballistics gel and you get twice or more the pellet count in the same weight loads.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. 

zeke632

I have a complaint with TSS.
Apex is sold out for the time being and haven't been able to find the Federal either. I'm sure it'll be available before season, but I'm getting antsy to try it !

Gooserbat

In the last 3 years I've shot around 50 shells from 4 different guns.  I've also killed 13 birds with tss.  Honestly I don't understand why anyone would shoot anything else other than the cost issue.  I've shot both 8.5s and 9s with the same results... Devastation of my target.  I don't worry about it's effects on my barrel or choke as I have had no issues.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.