Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Versa Max choke and ammo recommendations.

Started by dresnor, February 18, 2018, 08:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dresnor

Hello everyone!

I picked up a Remington Versa Max Sportsman with a 28'' barrel and would like to use it for turkey hunting. I am new to turkey hunting, I have been out a few times but never really focused on it like I should. This year is going to be different.

I did some searching on this forum for choke recommendations and I could not find anything recent. I am not sure what I am going to use for ammo. I have  Winchester long beards in both 3'' and 3 1/2'' in #5 and i bought a bunch of Turkey thugs on sale in both 3'' and 3 1/2" in both #4 and #5.

I will mostly be hunting in the woods not a lot of fields. I am concerned if I get a choke that is too constrictive, especially with the long beards that closer shots will be tough. But I also don't want to be limited too much since the area I hunt has some clearings and roads from being logged that could call for longer shots.

Also, I am unsure if I would need a ported or not ported choke. I don't know the advantages of having a ported or not ported choke so any advice there would be great.

Thank you in advance,

Jeremy

Tsawyer340

Indian creek 665 with Winchester long beards or hevi 13 works good with my Versamax.

taylorjones20

I agree with Tsawyer.  IC .665 LongBeard #5's or Hevi shot
Alive only by the Grace Of God

BrowningGuy88

A friend of mine shoots the 22" turkey edition with rifle sights.

The turkey/predator choke that came with it shoots LB's and Hevi Mag Blends surprisingly well.

I haven't counted his patterns, but they are uniform and dense. I've witnessed its effectiveness on turkeys too...

dresnor

Where are you guys finding the Indian creek pro bore chokes in .665? I can only find them in .670.

Thanks guys for the help!

Jeremy

Chuck1443

Sumtoy made one for  mine. I've only shot LB's with great patterns @ 30-40yds, 15-20yds not much room for error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tsawyer340

Quote from: dresnor on February 21, 2018, 05:48:46 PM
Where are you guys finding the Indian creek pro bore chokes in .665? I can only find them in .670.

Thanks guys for the help!

Jeremy

My bad.. it is a .670, not .665

dresnor

I ended up ordering a Sumtoy .665 for my Versamax. In my research I have heard nothing but good things about his chokes and his customer service.

I can't wait to get it and try it out.

Jeremy