turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 IC black diamond vs haymaker

Started by Andrew99, February 17, 2018, 12:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew99

Let me start by saying I've been a long time lurker, but never posted. There is a wealth of knowledge here that I have been able to benefit greatly from over the years so thanks guys. I've tried searching, but can't seem to find much info on the topic. I've struggled over the years to get what I felt like was a great pattern At 40 yards out of my 835 with 20" barrel. I've tried several choke/shell combos and usually end up on the 110-130 range in a 10" at 40 yards. Currently I'm lookibg at the haymaker and Black Diamond chokes. Does anyone have any real world comparisons between the 2 with the 835 and 20" barrel? I'm currently shooting 3.5" magblends, and 3.5" hevi 13 #6. I would prefer to stick with those shell choices, but I'm open to change. I could buy the haymaker for around $30 new and the Black Diamond for around $70. If the difference is negligible I'd obviously rather spend $30 lol. Thanks in advanced for any help.

bbcoach

:welcomeOG:  110-130 in 10 with an 835 is terrible.  835's love chokes in the .670-.676 range (Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Sumtoy, SSX just to name a few).  They shoot most shells well.  If you are shooting 3 1/2 Hevi-6s, you should be in the 240-250 range.  Hevi MagBlends probably a little less 210-220.  First, do you have a POA/POI issue?  Have you sighted the gun in at 15 yards with dove loads to see if the POA/POI is true?  Second, have you cleaned and polished the bore?  Third what chokes have you tried?  Just so you know, I shoot a 835 with a .670 Pure Gold and 3 1/2 inch Hevi-7's and with help from many on this forum she puts 300 plus in 10 at 40.  The guys on this site know their stuff and have done plenty of testing.  You have definitely come to the right place.  Keep your questions coming.  By the way, I think there is a used Indian Creek choke in the classifieds. 

Andrew99

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently shooting the blackout choke in a .675 made by Carlson for bass pro. Gun is sighted in and I always shoot at a 4'x4' target. I always deep clean the bore prior to patterning, but have never polished it. I've tried a Briley choke that my father in laws 835 throws great patterns with( his is a 24" barrel) an undertaker, the factory choke, and the blackout. I had a local gun dealer tell me that the 20" 835s just couldn't do what the longer barreled ones would do, and I have read mixed reviews online as to what they are capable of. Right now I'm really looking at the haymaker and black diamond, but open to other suggestions. I was hoping someone else with a 20" barrel could chime in and shed some light.

Happy

Got a 24" barrel in my mossberg but I am running an original colonial arms .676 stardot choke tube. Shooting 3.5" hevi shot # 6 I average around 180 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gobble!

My understanding is the Haymaker was designed for the Federal Flught Control Wads. If your shooting the Hevi13 HeviShot shells I would recommend the Black Diamond. Call up the guys at Indian Creek and talk to them. You should be close to breaking 200 at 40 with the MagBlends or Straight 6s, though I would shoot the Straight #7 load. They have more than enough power to kill at 40 and provide room for misjudged shots.

If your open to change, buy the Haymaker and a box of the Federal TSS #9 shells, 3" or 3.5". They will roughly triple the performance you have now. With the rebate and free shipping, if you can get it, there isn't a huge price difference between them and the Hevi13 shells.

Andrew99

Quote from: Gobble! on February 17, 2018, 10:17:04 PM
My understanding is the Haymaker was designed for the Federal Flught Control Wads. If your shooting the Hevi13 HeviShot shells I would recommend the Black Diamond. Call up the guys at Indian Creek and talk to them. You should be close to breaking 200 at 40 with the MagBlends or Straight 6s, though I would shoot the Straight #7 load. They have more than enough power to kill at 40 and provide room for misjudged shots.

If your open to change, buy the Haymaker and a box of the Federal TSS #9 shells, 3" or 3.5". They will roughly triple the performance you have now. With the rebate and free shipping, if you can get it, there isn't a huge price difference between them and the Hevi13 shells.

Thanks for the info, from my understanding federal has done away with the flight control wads for a wad that works in ported chokes. They did with the black cloud series, and just looked at the tss and it seems to be the same. I'll pick up a box of those to try. The haymaker for an 835 is a .690 I believe. Will that be to open for the smaller shot sizes? Also being I have a 20" barrel would a more open choke be better with less some for the shot column to stabilize or would the .675 IC be ok? I've heard that since the 835s are over bored the shot column stabilizes faster?

Gobble!

Quote from: Andrew99 on February 17, 2018, 10:35:18 PM

Thanks for the info, from my understanding federal has done away with the flight control wads for a wad that works in ported chokes. They did with the black cloud series, and just looked at the tss and it seems to be the same. I'll pick up a box of those to try. The haymaker for an 835 is a .690 I believe. Will that be to open for the smaller shot sizes? Also being I have a 20" barrel would a more open choke be better with less some for the shot column to stabilize or would the .675 IC be ok? I've heard that since the 835s are over bored the shot column stabilizes faster?

Yes the flight control wad was replaced for their TSS shells. TSS patterns well from any choke and seems to prefer more open constrictions which is why I recommended the Haymaker. I think the Black Diamond may put up slightly better numbers but as you mentioned I believe it will be negligible. Because of the performance of TSS, your shorter barrel will not restrict you.

knightrider

Put you a puregold 670 and 3 in magblend in that 20 in barrel and I promise you over 200 mine does it all day long

Andrew99

I'm going to try the haymaker with my current hevi mag blends and hevi 13 #6. So far I can't fins anywhere to get the federal tss loads, got a couple more places to check tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

bbcoach

Quote from: Andrew99 on February 19, 2018, 06:24:02 PM
I'm going to try the haymaker with my current hevi mag blends and hevi 13 #6. So far I can't fins anywhere to get the federal tss loads, got a couple more places to check tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.
If the haymaker is a .690 constriction you should already have that with the extra full turkey choke that comes with 835.  I would look for something in the .670-.675 range, polish your barrel and shoot it in temps above 60 degrees and the pellet count should improve Greatly with the Hevi's.

Andrew99

Quote from: bbcoach on February 19, 2018, 07:05:55 PM
If the haymaker is a .690 constriction you should already have that with the extra full turkey choke that comes with 835.  I would look for something in the .670-.675 range, polish your barrel and shoot it in temps above 60 degrees and the pellet count should improve Greatly with the Hevi's.

I actually ended up ordering the IC in a .675.  Midway USA has them on sale for $62.99 and $55 for some guns if anyone else interested. Or there is an eBay seller selling the haymakers for all thread patterns for $34.99. I should have it by the end of the week. I'll put some shells through it and report back.

bbcoach

Quote from: Andrew99 on February 19, 2018, 08:33:32 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on February 19, 2018, 07:05:55 PM
Good Deal.  That IC should help immensely.  Check out the Polish your barrel post.  With Hevi-6's, you should double your pellet count with the IC and polishing the barrel.  One other thing to try is 3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz Hevi-7's.  I shoot these in my 835 with the PG and they hammer turkeys.  Don't give up, you'll find the right combo. 

I actually ended up ordering the IC in a .675.  Midway USA has them on sale for $62.99 and $55 for some guns if anyone else interested. Or there is an eBay seller selling the haymakers for all thread patterns for $34.99. I should have it by the end of the week. I'll put some shells through it and report back.

bbcoach

Some how the quote messed up.  Here's my response:  Good Deal.  That IC should help immensely.  Check out the Polish your barrel post.  With Hevi-6's, you should double your pellet count with the IC and polishing the barrel.  One other thing to try is 3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz Hevi-7's.  I shoot these in my 835 with the PG and they hammer turkeys.  Don't give up, you'll find the right combo

Andrew99

I got out and shot some the other day with the new ic black diamond in .675. Thought I would post my results for anyone who is interested. I ran out of daylight after adjusting poi and only made it out to 30 yards. Again this is with a 12ga 835 with 20" barrel. 3.5" hevi shot mag blends. My previous best with the blackout choke was 178 in a 10" at 30 yards. With the IC it put 304 in a 10" at 30 yards. This was also after 3 other shots, with a quick swab between. Needless to say I'm inpresssed. I'll post up results when I shoot a 40 yarder.

wvhunter74

I have a pure gold .670 sitting in safe, send me your mailing info and I'll send it to you to try. I ran hevi 3.5 7's with excellent results 280-320 10" circle @ 40. The longbeard xr 6's threw a real nice pattern.