OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 Barrel Length ?

Started by 6shot, February 16, 2018, 05:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6shot

My 870 12 gauge has a 26 inch barrel and it patterns really good with 3" Longbeard #6 . I am considering having it cut down to maybe 22" and re-threaded for Remchoke . Would this make any difference in my pattern if I used my same choke tube ?

dirt road ninja

Greg Massey

No enough i don't think for what it will cost to have it cut down....

6shot

I guess my question should be will it have a negative affect on my guns pattern ?

CrustyRusty

It may...is buying another barrel an option?

Gobspur

Might see if you can locate shorter barrel, prolly same price or little more than having cut and rethreaded.

Double B

Stick w the factory 26" barrel that shots well imo. You know what you have now and will lose some velocity.  Pattern will change too and may not be as good. Watch for used barrels.
Followed by buzzards

nyhunter

not sure it's worth ruining a good patterning barrel for 4 inches.   I'd look for a 21" barrel and keep the 26"

Gobble!

Quote from: nyhunter on February 17, 2018, 03:08:06 PM
not sure it's worth ruining a good patterning barrel for 4 inches.   I'd look for a 21" barrel and keep the 26"

That's what she said.

Izzyjoe

Call me crazy, but I think 26" is perfect for any shotgun. Back in my younger days I didn't think nothing about running around in the think stuff with a 30", but that's all I had too!

TJK68

Two of my guns have 26" barrels and I love them. Keep it like it is and kill some Turkey's....

Boilermaker

870 barrels are relatively affordable.  I would seek a shorter barrel for the gun if you were looking for a more agile gun in the woods.  I agree with others, the performance would be marginal at best if you were to cut down the 26" barrel.  I own a 21" barrel 870 and a 26" barrel Benelli.  I really don't notice much of a difference in handling other than the 870 is easy to carry through brush and thick forest with its shorter profile.

A 26" barrel is pretty universal for most purposes.  It's not too short that you couldn't take it out and shoot doves or clays with it and it would still purpose well as a turkey gun.  If your gun patterns well now, I would leave it be!  Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.