OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth shotgun advice

Started by tomstopper, February 14, 2018, 09:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Turkz39 on February 15, 2018, 09:13:16 AM
I have the same 870 that bottomland54 posted a pic of for my 3 daughters ,  they are 10, 8, and 5.  And they shoot it off a Caldwell dead shot, which makes a huge difference in youth hunters.

Made the Caldwell Dead Shot Tree Pod in to a "blind" version and it works awesome! Totally holds the gun, allows for 180° swing (the entire shooting window of the Double Bull) and will adjust for height and tension adjustments allow for free full movement/alignment of gun for shot placement. This way you have the swing for gun and the shot and not having to move the tripod.

MK M GOBL

tomstopper

Well she just handled the Mossberg 510 super batam mini and it fits her well so I think I am headed in the right direction. As for turkey hunting being a big boy sport, I totally disagree. I have taken many youth and if equipped with the right gun, choke, and ammo, the kids do fine. That's just my two cents

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

zelmo1

All my kids and wife started on a Franchi 20 ga AL48. Stone killed and smaller frame and stock with light recoil. It worked for us, I hope they love it as much as my daughter. Good luck, Al Baker

MK M GOBL

Last spring during our youth hunt I had an 11 year old girl (she weighed 65lbs) out to hunt, she used one of my Rem 11-87 12ga turkey guns, we used a Winchester 2 3/4" #5 load. I had her shoot the gun ahead of time and no problems... She killed her bird at under 15yards away and crushed him. After the hunt she asked if she could use my gun again for next year.

MK M GOBL

chatterbox

Mossberg 510 Mini.
You can add spacers to the stock to add length as they grow.
My son has killed 5 birds with this combination.
The Hevi-13 3-1.25-7's are a good shell as well, as they don't have such stout recoil.
The Truglo SSX choke works well in that gun, but a more open modified or full choke will give more wiggle room and not be so tight.
Good luck!

ilbucksndux

For a youth gun the Mossburg Bantam is perfect. There was a time they sent you a certificate of some sort for an adult stock but they dont anymore. Another thought is getting a 1100 and cutting the stock down and then getting another stock to replace it as she gets older. The only down side to a 20 ga youth gun is that at some point they graduate up to a 12 .
Gary Bartlow

perrytrails

Sounds like you may have decided already.

I purchased a super bantam and added a FF3. Couple of years ago I also built a H&R single shot with a collapsable stock. I added a limb saver recoil pad to the AR style stock also.

Kids pick the single shot every time. Not as heavy and I can tell the there is much less recoil shooting it.

My 9 year old nephew, maybe weighs 80 lbs, shot his first deer with it last fall.

Gawhitaker

Quote from: silvestris on February 15, 2018, 02:08:57 PM
I sometimes ponder whether we are taking the kids for for us or them..  Turkey hunting is a big boys sport.  God made squirrels and rabbits for kids and older folks.
Not to hijack the thread "but"
I think most of us do it for the kids, i can remember hens almost stepping on my sons feet when he was 3, granted my strategy changed when he was along, but the excitment and wonder he had was contagious and it was worth every minute.  i picked up a little single shot 410 that was deadly with 3" 6s and he started killing turkeys at 6, now at 20 is an excellent woodsman and accomplished hunter.
The lil single shot 410 serviced him well for quite a few years, so don't discount that as an option.

Gawhitaker

I sometimes ponder whether we are taking the kids for for us or them..  Turkey hunting is a big boys sport.  God made squirrels and rabbits for kids and older folks.
I think most of us do it for the kids, i can remember hens almost stepping on my sons feet when he was 3, granted my strategy changed when he was along, but the excitment and wonder he had was contagious and it was worth every minute.  i picked up a little single shot 410 that was deadly with 3" 6s and he started killing turkeys at 6, now at 20 is an excellent woodsman and accomplished hunter.
The lil single shot 410 serviced him well for quite a few years, so don't discount that as an option.

MK M GOBL

???

I have mentored many kids, ladies and new to the hunt "Big Boys" over the last 20+ years and a good many are now accomplished turkey hunters. I've had buddies kids out with me when WI reduced the hunting age limit down to 10 and could not make me more proud, they really took to turkey hunting after a few years with me, they listened, learned and after several years they also now teaching their buddies, I have seen them take out younger sister/brother and follows in these "mentors"  footsteps. Can't think of anything better than getting kids, ladies and adults involved in the outdoors! This is my passion, my drive!! There is a lot to do with me and turkey hunting and in part a reason to what I do (My Story) and such a great hunt to bring this as a hunt for these hunters!

Definitely NOT just a "big boy sport"

MK M GOBL

How can you beat this stuff!!

chatterbox

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 26, 2018, 06:48:42 PM

???

I have mentored many kids, ladies and new to the hunt "Big Boys" over the last 20+ years and a good many are now accomplished turkey hunters. I've had buddies kids out with me when WI reduced the hunting age limit down to 10 and could not make me more proud, they really took to turkey hunting after a few years with me, they listened, learned and after several years they also now teaching their buddies, I have seen them take out younger sister/brother and follows in these "mentors"  footsteps. Can't think of anything better than getting kids, ladies and adults involved in the outdoors! This is my passion, my drive!! There is a lot to do with me and turkey hunting and in part a reason to what I do (My Story) and such a great hunt to bring this as a hunt for these hunters!

Definitely NOT just a "big boy sport"

MK M GOBL

How can you beat this stuff!!
THIS^^^^^^^
I couldn't agree more! We took my son turkey hunting at a very young age and nothing, I mean NOTHING compared to him killing his first bird after my unsuccessful hunts!
He's now 17, and has 5 birds under his belt!
It was because we took him at an early age he had the knowledge base and experience to help his little sister bag her first tom!
I will take a youth, or first time hunter any chance I get! There's nothing like it!

fallhnt

Quote from: Gawhitaker on February 26, 2018, 05:43:13 PM
.410....for big boys too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

tomstopper

Well guys, thanks for the advice. I decided to go with the mini bantam and am going to head to the range sometime this week. It fits her perfectly and she is extremely excited. As for all the comments in regards to turkey hunting being a big boy sport, I totally agree with it being a kids sport. I have taken many youth and seeing them get so excited when the gobblers come in and they get a chance at the and see how they act. Took many and they we're successful but I look back and know that starting them out by turkey hunting was the beginning of them turning into what they are now.
My most memorable is the time I spent with my nephew. He has become a very good hunter (I will try to post some pics of the buck he got in November). I look forward to taking my daughter and making some great memories. Hopefully she will be my hunting partner for life.

tomstopper

Nephews 12 point