OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth shotgun advice

Started by tomstopper, February 14, 2018, 09:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Need some advice on a shotgun for my young daughters. They are ages 10 & 12 but are very petite. My youngest tried to shoulder an 870 youth model but couldn't reach the forend. Looking at the Mossberg super bantam 20 gauge. And advice from you guys with small children would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

If you could buy a cheap stock cut it down possibly. Or find a cheap 20 gauge single shot and cut it down. Other than that maybe something shorter than the Rem youth is out,but I'm unaware of anyrhing.

Greg Massey

If you buy the youth camo 870 , 20 gauge from Walmart it will come with stock spaces.. you will have a short stock and as they grow you can increase the stock size with the spacers ... Message Bottomland54 , he just got one from Walmart and he can tell you all about it and what to ask for at Walmart ....

Smooth_Operator

Take a look at the Stevens 555 Compact in .410 or 20 ga. It's an O/U priced between 650-700 bucks, weighs about 5.5 pounds and has a shorter length of pull.  Great little guns and quality is good enough to be passed down to future generations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

BottomLand54

I may be wrong and have been wrong plenty of times. Please please don't get offended at my answer but if your daughter can not reach the forend on a Remington 870 compact 20 gauge she does not need to be shooting a gun. It is one of the shortest compact guns you can buy. How was the stock spacers on it was it thin? Or thick? If it was thick you can remove the spacers and bring it closer in to her body meaning she can reach to forend allot better.

Only other options I would know of is to buy like an old wood stock New England or Stevens single shot at the pawn shop and butcher the stock. The safest way would be to wait another year until she am properly handle the gun which is proper Gun safety. If a kid wants me to take them and they cannot shoulder a 870 compact they are just going to get to watch.

BottomLand54

Here is you a picture of one without spacers

tomstopper

No offense taken. I am taking her to a couple gun shops today to see what they have for her. I was only looking at the 870 first but have been told to check into the Mossberg line of youth models as well. Thanks for the advice though.

fmf

I like a mossberg or a browning for the top tang safety for myself, but for a youth it is even better.  It seems like youths usually have to move their head around and look and move their hand around to the bottom to work the trigger guard safety on other shotguns.  Them being able to work the safety without much movement or without me reaching over to take it off safe is great.

Turkz39

I have the same 870 that bottomland54 posted a pic of for my 3 daughters ,  they are 10, 8, and 5.  And they shoot it off a Caldwell dead shot, which makes a huge difference in youth hunters. 

Gamblinman

May just have to wait a few years till they can grow into a gun.

I see way too many videos of kids who are not ready to handle a gun, much less trying to harvest turkeys.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

tomstopper

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 15, 2018, 09:20:06 AM
May just have to wait a few years till they can grow into a gun.

I see way too many videos of kids who are not ready to handle a gun, much less trying to harvest turkeys.
I thought that too but have called in turkeys for dad's with sons who were small. My thought was too place her in front of me and use a device like a "trigger stick" to steady the front end while she handles the stock. She has shot many 22s before that she has handled fine. If the forend was back a little bit, she wouldn't have an issue. I think I just need her to handle a couple more brands to see which would be the best fit

sevetts

There are several options out there with 12.5in length of pull. I'd bet money she could shoot the mossberg super bantams comfortably. And for my kids there is a big difference in comfortably shooting a super bantam and a youth 1300

silvestris

I sometimes ponder whether we are taking the kids for for us or them..  Turkey hunting is a big boys sport.  God made squirrels and rabbits for kids and older folks.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Haypatch

The Mossberg 510 super batam mini has a 10 1/4" LOP and is about the smallest you will find... if I'm not mistaken the 870 compact is 13" LOP and the 870 compact jr comes in at 12" LOP but come's with spacer's to add as they grow!

tnanh

H&R used to have a good deal on their single shot rifles. I bought my youngest son a H&R .243 youth when he was about 7. It was a little too long so I called H&R and they sent me another shorter youth stock for free. That was about 15 years ago so I'm not sure they still do that. I also bought him a H&R youth 20 gauge and it fit him fine. I have been a fan of that company every since.