OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 Gauge TSS Loads from Federal

Started by allaboutshooting, February 13, 2018, 09:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

There have been several questions about the lower velocity 20 gauge loads with #9 shot, so I went directly to the source to ask.

"For the initial year of offering TSS, we decided to roll out a lower-recoil 20-gauge option with 1 ½ ounces of 9 shot pushed at 1,000 fps. We felt we needed to get the whole family of loads an option for lower-recoil for recoil-sensitive hunters. So we chose that No. 9 20-ga load, thinking recoil-sensitive hunters would select 20-gauge and want a higher pellet count. If consumer feedback and demand ask us for a higher-velocity No. 9 20-gauge load, we will certainly look into it in the future. However, 1 ½ ounces of 9 shot pushed at 1,000 fps will certainly get the job done at 40 yards and beyond for any hunter."

I see the answer as well thought-out and responsible with a nod to the consumer based upon feedback and demand. With 2 young grandson turkey hunting for the first time this spring, I appreciate the thought process behind this load.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SKFOOTER

Thanks for the info Clark but I totally disagree with Federal's logic.  The 20 #9 TSS load will be their main competition from Apex and Nitro and just offering it in a Reduced Recoil round is gonna be a marketing nightmare for them.  Apex and Nitro will have the 20 gauge TSS #9 market cornered until Federal gets off their hands and competes.  Their Heavyweight #7 load would have been a more popular and better patterning load if they had used a regular wad.

buzzardroost

It's driving me toward Apex. Unless you think it won't matter that it's slower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

The reduced MV probably means very little as far as terminal energy is concerned. We must always remember that the faster a sphere is launched, the more quickly it slows. With only 200 fps difference at th muzzle, I would expect little difference at the target. They should still have plenty of retained energh to do the job.

Thanks,
Clark

owlhoot

Well it is what it is fellas.
I would just like to start seeing some 20 guage out there so we can see some patterns .
Thanks again Clark,appreciate the information.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 13, 2018, 04:57:20 PM
The reduced MV probably means very little as far as terminal energy is concerned. We must always remember that the faster a sphere is launched, the more quickly it slows. With only 200 fps difference at th muzzle, I would expect little difference at the target. They should still have plenty of retained energh to do the job.

Thanks,
Clark

This. Just because they initially put out a lower velocity load, geared to younger hunters (we should absolutely EMBRACE that!), doesn't mean they won't put out a load with more pep.  Try not to look at it as "It's for ME, and because I don't like the offering I'm  going with another manufacturer ".  Loo at is as federal was trying to include an unfortunately small and deminishing demographic in our young hunters.  Wether YOU like it or not, it's a good thing imo.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

SKFOOTER

I have no problem with them having a Reduced Recoil loading of their TSS in the 20 gauge shells.  But I do have a problem with them doing so with the #9 shot.  Why not the #7?

mightyjoeyoung

That's simple.   Pellet count secondary to pattern density.   150 fps or so at 40 +/- yards is nothing for tss 9s.  7s should be reserved for goose loads imo.  Pellet count too  low for small targets like a Turkey's bean and penetration is overkill. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

blee

What choke would you recommend out of a SA-08 20 and this load? Currently have a SSX

allaboutshooting

Quote from: blee on February 20, 2018, 08:52:10 PM
What choke would you recommend out of a SA-08 20 and this load? Currently have a SSX

I'd shoot what you have. This is a new load and no one has experience with it. The SSX was a great choke for the Heavyweight #7s and may be very good with the new shells. Only some shots down range will tell.
Thanks,
Clark

Greg Massey

From what i understand, Federal new Tss load was made for improvement over the Federal HW 7, it had nothing to do with competing again Apex or Nitro.. People need to remember Federal was the first to come out with the first turkey loads in 5 and 6 shot 2 oz load copper plated without the flight control wads...that shell in those loads at the time were the best on the market in my opinion ....

Andrew99

I can't even find anywhere to buy the tss loads. I'm looking for the 3.5" 7s or 9s. Does anyone know of a reliable place to order them?

strutstopper

Quote from: Andrew99 on February 21, 2018, 10:12:59 AM
I can't even find anywhere to buy the tss loads. I'm looking for the 3.5" 7s or 9s. Does anyone know of a reliable place to order them?

Cabelas had the 3 1/2" 9s and 7s a little while ago, but they only have the 7s now.

Gobble!

My advice is look on Cabelas, MacksPM, Rogers Sporting Goods, and MidWay USA as often as you can get in front of a computer. Three companies are selling it right now Federal, Apex, and Nitro Company. MacksPW got a large order from Apex in yesterday. They were sold out my 830 this morning. Nitro is mostly only available by calling them but my guess is the waiting list is getting long now.

Cabelas has 3" 1.75oz #9s in stock now. My recommendation is to shoot #9s. #7s just take up space. 360 #9s per oz. 185 #7s per oz. I believe you said before you are using mag blends? 1.75oz of #9s will out perform the mag blends all day.

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 14, 2018, 01:17:27 AM
That's simple.   Pellet count secondary to pattern density.   150 fps or so at 40 +/- yards is nothing for tss 9s.  7s should be reserved for goose loads imo.  Pellet count too  low for small targets like a Turkey's bean and penetration is overkill. 

x2. 1000fps #9s will do the job all day at 40 and provide wiggle room for misjudged shots. With 1.5oz of #7s your only looking at 277 pellets in that shell, vs 540 with #9s.

austinc

I seen Natchez shooting supply had some 3 1/2" 9s in stock about an hour ago when I looked

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk