OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Derail this thread...

Started by Happy, February 12, 2018, 09:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Ok. Here is a thread anyone can feel free to derail. I don't want to throw other fine folks threads off track so here is one just for the stupidity of it.
Bottomland, I do drive a Chevrolet. I have found Ford to be more popular because it's a brand most of its owners can spell. I may be a rookie turkey hunter who has yet to kill a bird but at least I can spell. Sort of anyways.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

I guess sometimes , we just need to use spell check... i hope i spelt that irght ... :TooFunny:

BottomLand54

I can't spale or hnt lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Spellchecker is a liar. See what it just did to me?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on February 12, 2018, 10:14:24 PM
Spellchecker is a liar. See what it just did to me?
Happy i can't dance either... :jackson: :jackson:

larry9988

A,B,C,F,L,G......I know some more letters but not in order like that.(Earnest T. Bass)

BottomLand54

Happy how long you been turkey hunting? I have only been serious turkey hunting for 3 years.

2 years before was huge failure as I had no one to show me. While I was deer hunting my uncles property 4 years ago there is an older gentleman that owns land below my uncles land, we started talking deer hunting and he asked me if I ever turkey hunted and said man I have tried with no success. He said I will take you in the spring, long story short spring came if that next year and I didn't have his contact number but I knew where he lived so I went to his house, he wasn't at home so I wrote a note with my name and number and said I want to go turkey hunting. He called me and the first time he took me he called in 2 Jake's and we both shot a Jake double header it was his first and he done it because it was my first turkey and it made it that much more special. This man would never shoot a Jake and Lord willing that is my first and last Jake. The next week he took me again and I tagged out shooting a 10.5 inch long beard. This man is soon to be 66 and has thought me everything he knows about turkey hunting. He took the time to instill in me a passion for a wild bird that to me is one of the most intriguing wild game animals man can hunt. Now i have such a passion for it that I have went plum crazy.

I have been so blessed that at 30 years old I have been able to kill 2 very very nice birds and hopefully this year another one.

The special thing about all this as green as I am behind the ears this last season spring of 2017 I called in this mans 2nd biggest trkey he's ever shot, and he has shot allot of turkeys, that may not mean much to many but I didn't know nothing about turkey hunting and getting the privilege to call this man a bird in who took time to instill in me turkey hunting.

Ranger

Quote from: BottomLand54 on February 12, 2018, 10:34:33 PM
Happy how long you been turkey hunting? I have only been serious turkey hunting for 3 years.

2 years before was huge failure as I had no one to show me. While I was deer hunting my uncles property 4 years ago there is an older gentleman that owns land below my uncles land, we started talking deer hunting and he asked me if I ever turkey hunted and said man I have tried with no success. He said I will take you in the spring, long story short spring came if that next year and I didn't have his contact number but I knew where he lived so I went to his house, he wasn't at home so I wrote a note with my name and number and said I want to go turkey hunting. He called me and the first time he took me he called in 2 Jake's and we both shot a Jake double header it was his first and he done it because it was my first turkey and it made it that much more special. This man would never shoot a Jake and Lord willing that is my first and last Jake. The next week he took me again and I tagged out shooting a 10.5 inch long beard. This man is soon to be 66 and has thought me everything he knows about turkey hunting. He took the time to instill in me a passion for a wild bird that to me is one of the most intriguing wild game animals man can hunt. Now i have such a passion for it that I have went plum crazy.

I have been so blessed that at 30 years old I have been able to kill 2 very very nice birds and hopefully this year another one.

The special thing about all this as green as I am behind the ears this last season spring of 2017 I called in this mans 2nd biggest trkey he's ever shot, and he has shot allot of turkeys, that may not mean much to many but I didn't know nothing about turkey hunting and getting the privilege to call this man a bird in who took time to instill in me turkey hunting.

That's what it's all about.  And anybody that says that doesn't mean much has long forgotten how important the chess game first was when they caught the disease.  I hope you and that man have many good memories together
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Happy

Congrats on your success. Mine came a little harder. I was infatuated by turkeys and hunting them at a very young age. I want go into details but I was pretty much raised by a single mom. We did raise turkeys and chickens so I raised and butchered them. When I was about ten a fellow at our church gave me two wild turkey hatchlings from a nest he accidentally mowed on his farm. He knew I was into turkeys and incubated them for me. I raised them up and it was a hen and a tom. I spent hours with those birds. I was the only person he would let pet him and I could pick him up and set him in my lap. I also had a fellow who was a competitive turkey caller in our church. That was when raye eye was a big name in the turkey world and this fellow was a huge fan of his.
He bought me my first turkey calls and helped me learn to call. I had a lohman turkey tracer slate and a quaker boy boss hen diaghram. I practiced constantly and clyde (my turkey gobbler) was my target. I would hide and call to him for hours. I finally got to go hunting with this "mentor" 
of mine and we didn't hear a bird. That was my only guided hunt. I started hunting on my own around age 11. Problem was there were absolutely no turkeys on the land behind our house. That didn't stop me though and I kept at it. Finally at the age of 21 I had managed to get out on my own and had a vehicle, a new mossberg 835 and access to a private chunk of land that had turkeys. I killed a jake at about 13 or 14 yards the first day of season. I have been at it ever since. Don't know how many I have killed since and don't really care. I lost a bunch of beards while moving from place to place and having pets destroy them. But it isn't a numbers game to me. I just love to hunt them. I love calling them in for others and have been fortunate to call in a lot of first birds for both kids and adults. One of my favorites is in my avatar. That's my oldest boy at the age of 11 with his first longbeard. So to sum it up I have been running around the woods chasing turkeys for 25 years and acually killing them for about 16.

BottomLand54

Quote from: Happy on February 13, 2018, 07:09:58 AM
Congrats on your success. Mine came a little harder. I was infatuated by turkeys and hunting them at a very young age. I want go into details but I was pretty much raised by a single mom. We did raise turkeys and chickens so I raised and butchered them. When I was about ten a fellow at our church gave me two wild turkey hatchlings from a nest he accidentally mowed on his farm. He knew I was into turkeys and incubated them for me. I raised them up and it was a hen and a tom. I spent hours with those birds. I was the only person he would let pet him and I could pick him up and set him in my lap. I also had a fellow who was a competitive turkey caller in our church. That was when raye eye was a big name in the turkey world and this fellow was a huge fan of his.
He bought me my first turkey calls and helped me learn to call. I had a lohman turkey tracer slate and a quaker boy boss hen diaghram. I practiced constantly and clyde (my turkey gobbler) was my target. I would hide and call to him for hours. I finally got to go hunting with this "mentor" 
of mine and we didn't hear a bird. That was my only guided hunt. I started hunting on my own around age 11. Problem was there were absolutely no turkeys on the land behind our house. That didn't stop me though and I kept at it. Finally at the age of 21 I had managed to get out on my own and had a vehicle, a new mossberg 835 and access to a private chunk of land that had turkeys. I killed a jake at about 13 or 14 yards the first day of season. I have been at it ever since. Don't know how many I have killed since and don't really care. I lost a bunch of beards while moving from place to place and having pets destroy them. But it isn't a numbers game to me. I just love to hunt them. I love calling them in for others and have been fortunate to call in a lot of first birds for both kids and adults. One of my favorites is in my avatar. That's my oldest boy at the age of 11 with his first longbeard. So to sum it up I have been running around the woods chasing turkeys for 25 years and acually killing them for about 16.
That's awesome story man, I am in the same boat as you, it's not about numbers. It's about he hunt. I have had the privilege to take 6 folks now 3 beings kids and 3 being adults. I have had 2 kids take there first bird and man it was almost more exciting then me killing mine. I suppose that's why Jesus said: "It is more blessed to give than to receive" Acts 21:35

I don't have pictures on my new phone if these kids with there birds but it's instilled my heart and mind that smile and joy it brought to their heart.

Talking about loosing pieces of birds lol, I had my fans and beards laid out in my grandfathers garage, he didn't know any better and threw them all away this past year while cleaning up. So I have nothing now but like I just mentioned that joy and addiction and desire to keep on keeping on is still brother in my blood.

Gooserbat

I killed a turkey at 71 steps last year with a tss handload.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Happy

Ohh. I think someone just poked a stick on the spokes of this bicycles front tire. Did you fan him as well?

Gobspur

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 13, 2018, 08:25:34 AM

GB - you forgot to spellcheck.  We know you meant 17 steps.  :toothy12:

renegade19

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 13, 2018, 08:25:34 AM

Were they baby steps?   :wave:

BottomLand54

71 steps that's all?  I shot one when I was 3.5 yrs old with a red Ryder B.B. Gun with a daisy heavier then tin B.B.. in the eyeball at 96.3 yards.