OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1187 original bottomland touch up paint?

Started by Hevishot 13, February 12, 2018, 09:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hevishot 13

I just bought a 1187 in original bottomland from the early 90s. I got the gun for a great deal but it needs some work. The recoil spring tube was bent and it had a cracked stock. Ive fixed those issues but it has some paint chips throughout the gun and I want to fix this to prevent rust and restore the gun to what it once was. A few places are flaking off and I'm scared it's going to get worse. Anyone have an idea on where I can get some touch up paint that will match the original bottomland pattern? Sure I can go to the hardware store but it won't match closely.

Ozarks Hillbilly

I haven't seen any rattle can paint that comes close to matching original bottomlands color. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

the Ward

If you have an auto parts/ paint store near you  they should be able to mix you up a pint that would match it. Then you could use a small brush and dab the chipped spots. If the chips are only to the primer it should work well, if they are to bare metal, the chipped spots will probably need primed for the paint to stick. Follow their recommendations on how to mix it and how long between coats. If you have an auto body guy near you he could probably guide you, or maybe even do it for a nominal fee. Just be careful with it, some paints are different than they were 20 years ago and you don't want to apply something that will have a reaction to the original finish and ruin it.

taylorjones20

Worse case you could have it re-dipped in Original Bottomland...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

SKFOOTER

I took the forearm off of my 1187 Bottomland and took it to Lowes.  I had them color match it and mix me up some small quantities of enamel in the different camo patterns.

Hevishot 13

Thanks for the replies fellas. I took the gun to the Sherwin williams store and they are confident the can match the colors perfectly, even with fading and the added sheen from use over the years. I'll have to buy the three colors in quart cans, but I'll have plenty to last a while.

mbowyer51

Post some pictures if you don't mind. I have the same gun with the same issues and would be curious as to how it looks when finished.

Hevishot 13

I don't know how to post pictures here but if you'll help me I will be glad to

LaLongbeard

Id like to see some pics when your done I been patching mine with OD green paint just to keep it from rusting.Might need to try the paint store
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

longislandloco

Silly as it sounds, try your local hobby shop, Testors model paints or Tamiya paints, easy find a color match, touchup with a small pointed brush, get flat, when dry just buff with a dry rag.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Old Gobbler

Take the stock off ....

first to be honest the auto body paint sounds better ....see if you can get a 2k primer matched that would be best

Anyways if that don't work home depot ...
.they have a scanner ...it'd hard to use it with a big item , but people take in paint chips from thier house and get matched paint for it

They sell little 3$ pint size sample jars that they color match  for you , indoor...outdoor ...gloss...matte...eggshell they got 15 different types

Or just look in the sample swatchest and see if they have something allready

I get my duck decoy paint like this all the time with the 3$kars
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 18, 2018, 09:20:39 PM
Take the stock off ....

first to be honest the auto body paint sounds better ....see if you can get a 2k primer matched that would be best

Anyways if that don't work home depot ...
.they have a scanner ...it'd hard to use it with a big item , but people take in paint chips from thier house and get matched paint for it

They sell little 3$ pint size sample jars that they color match  for you , indoor...outdoor ...gloss...matte...eggshell they got 15 different types

Or just look in the sample swatchest and see if they have something allready

I get my duck decoy paint like this all the time with the 3$kars
Exactly what I suggested above (Lowes) but the forearm is much easier to remove than the stock.