turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Camo vs Black Stock?

Started by Premier Turkey Calls, February 10, 2018, 08:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier Turkey Calls

I just want to know your opinions. I have had my 870 with obsession camo for about 7 years and I'm noticing that it's starting to fade. Not just fade but the white base color is starting to show where it is scratched and where my hands contact the stock. Luckily the barrel and action are black but I am becoming less of a fan of camo. I will either have to buy a new stock or re-dip or paint my existing stock. I've been to several gun shows this past year and noticed that many of the camo shotguns for sale have a nice winter camo on them. Are any of you a fan of black over camo?

Greg Massey

I've never seen were a turkey new the difference in a camo gun or any other animal i was hunting. I just like black guns...

dirt road ninja

I'm the opposite. I don't like all black guns, prefer wood stocks with black steel. The animals don't care, I do. 

the Ward

I like camo guns, pretty wood and blue guns, and multi color cerakote guns. I don't care for all black guns myself. The important thing is the game doesn't care either way. As long as you don't wave the barrel around you'll be ok.

Izzyjoe

Well, I would just chalk it up as character, and not worry about it, but if it bothers you change it. Mossy oak make a camo wrap for long guns that looks good.

grayfox

I've hunted with both. Like it's been said the turkeys don't care but I love camo. I know it's a mental thing but I've always felt more blended in with the woods with the right camo. I had my Beretta 3901 dipped years ago by Bell & Carlson. This was when not too many companies were doing it. Just a few years later the camo was wearing off the bottom of the receiver. I had only dove hunted with it a few times so I was not impressed with how it held up. Most people have had much better luck than I have. I started to have my 870 dipped several years ago but was hesitate to spend the money for it for fear of it not lasting very long so I wrapped it in mossy oak vinyl. It's been on now for over 3 seasons & still looks pretty good. The bottom of the receiver is worn & the end of the forearm next to the receiver is scrapped up but the rest still looks fine. If you have the time & patience you can do it yourself. It cost me about $50 for the vinyl. I ordered more than I needed so I would have some extra. I've always said a man can never have too much camo or too many guns.  ;D

mommicked

Flat black on the steel OK, shiny blued barrels for turkeys are not IMO. I also believe a camo gun is better if you have to move the gun while the turkey can see you. I'm a fan of the Mcnett camo wrap, makes my gun look like a mossy stick.
Learning something new, on every hunt.

Bowguy

Zero difference. Birds don't care. I'd heed the non shiny stock thing as principle but lots of birds have been shot with those too. I'd just draw the line at the gun being finished flat

LaLongbeard

My 870 is over 20 years old and was camo dipped at the factory it hasn't faded but has worn thru to shinny metal in a few spots over the years. I just spray over the shiney spots with OD green paint and carry on. I don't like the plain black it stands out to me  in the woods but I don't think the turkeys  care ever hunted a freshly burned area everything is charred black.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Bowguy

Good point in the burned area. What about wet natural sticks. Lots of black on em. If camo is your thing it's certainly not gonna hurt. Black isn't either

diyj98

I've always just used an all black gun.  Camo is pretty, but so much of it peels, fades, or rubs off the high points over time.  I've just never saw the need for the added expense.

Gobble!

Don't move and your good. Get whatever you think is the coolest.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Gobble! on February 12, 2018, 05:06:45 PM
Don't move and your good. Get whatever you think is the coolest.

This is about right. Buy what makes ya happy.

Stumpy225

Have the same problem with a 2008 turkey/predator. Starting to see a lot of white on receivers.

WNCTracker

I personally don't like all black. I wouldn't choose a camo shirt with black sleeves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk