turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Binoculars

Started by Wayman, February 09, 2018, 11:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

I use binos a lot while turkey hunting, deer hunting, elk hunting, whatever Im hunting.  In fact, I feel blind if I forget them.  I have them readily available with a chest harness.

If you strictly hunt timber, then they really aren't necessary.  I hunted hardwoods for years without them.  They become more useful the more open the terrain is.  Its easy to miss a tom standing in the shade at 300 yards across a field that you are about to step into or the tip of a fan just over the crest of a hill.

Ive been running 10 x42 Zen Rays for several years.  I think they were $300ish.  Really good glass but Ive been hard on them carrying them in my truck and in the field and they need replaced.   I decided to go with either 10x42 Vortex Vipers or Razors.  I had myself talked into the Razors before my wife found a smoking deal on the Vipers and got them for me at Christmas.

If I was only using them to turkey hunt, I could probably make out fine with lower quality binos.  As it stands, Im really at the lower end, cost wise, of binos for the amount that I use them.

austinc

Here's a really good deal on some vortex raptors if anyone is looking for any. https://www.scheels.com/p/vortex-raptor-8.5x32-binocular/87587400186.html?cgid=all#start=4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

grayfox

Here is 2 more you might want to consider. I always hunt woods so I seldom carry any. But when I do I carry the Pentax 9X28's below. Compact, good glass for the money & they only weigh just under 13 oz. Not as sharp optics as the Pentax but even lighter & cheaper are the Nikon Prostaffs 8X25. I used to have those but a friend of mine talked me into selling them to him. They are very light to carry. They are also on sale at Cabela's right now with free shipping over $50.00.

https://www.adorama.com/px928ad.html

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nikon-ProStaff-ATB-Binoculars/1632004.uts?productVariantId=1713762&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=70005504&rid=20&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-qm4uOc2QIVm7jACh1dAA-gEAUYASABEgKsUPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

dirt road ninja

I see a few folks saying they don't use them in woods. I hunt in pine jungles down here and use them all the time.

USMC0331

I use a vortex 10x25 molecular,  got it for $50. Extreamy light weight , great glass, and fits in your pocket.

grayfox

I forgot to mention I also use my Leupold range finder in place of binoculars when I need to. Not as good as a pair of binos but are a good substitute in a pinch.

Wayman

Thanks for all the advice. I really kind of like the vortex line.  I also noticed Cabelas has a line of them they don't look too bad either. Way too many choices lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: Wayman on February 10, 2018, 09:52:46 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I really kind of like the vortex line.  I also noticed Cabelas has a line of them they don't look too bad either. Way too many choices lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Find a store, Cabelas is a great start, that has plenty to choose from and try the ones in your price range.  Look at several in the store and narrow your choices down to a few and ask to take them outside.  Try to look through them in bright light and fading light as well.  Check for edge distortion as well, making sure that you have clear vision from edge to edge.  Then make Your decision.

Jbird22

I use Swarovski compacts, 10x25 if I remember correctly. They weren't cheap even though I bought them used but they were definitely worth it.

land cruiser

Typically Leica rangefinder, same one I use for archery - 1000-R. Helps with knowing the distance past which I would not take the shot.

Greg Massey

You can go to Harbor Freight with a 20 percent off coupon and get a pair of 10 x 50 for about 9 dollars...

mtns2hunt

I could not imagine buying a 9 dollar pair of bino's. One should respect one's vision.

Buy the most expensive you can afford and then stretch a bit more. Six months down the road you won't remember what you paid but you will appreciate the better glass for years.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Greg Massey

Quote from: mtns2hunt on February 11, 2018, 11:24:06 AM
I could not imagine buying a 9 dollar pair of bino's. One should respect one's vision.

Buy the most expensive you can afford and then stretch a bit more. Six months down the road you won't remember what you paid but you will appreciate the better glass for years.
I was giving him more options... :OGturkeyhead:

fallhnt

I would look into used to get good glass like the pair I posted but...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 11, 2018, 12:10:18 PM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on February 11, 2018, 11:24:06 AM

I was giving him more options... :OGturkeyhead:

I'm sure you meant well.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.