OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Binoculars

Started by Wayman, February 09, 2018, 11:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayman

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 11, 2018, 07:03:56 PM
Quote from: Wayman on February 11, 2018, 03:13:49 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to say these are the wrong pair but I would consider the "power" of the binos... if you are comparing exact same bino/glass in 8x42's and 10x42's the 8's will out preform the 10's. (There is some math to this, that if you want to know I could go into). But the little difference you get by going to the 10's in power you WILL lose out on your low light viewing ability and there is inherently more "shake" in the 10's as well.

MK M GOBL
That's really good to know. That pair was the only set they had in the diamondbacks line in stock.

BottomLand54

Quote from: Happy on February 11, 2018, 04:00:23 PM
Nope. I guess if chipmunks count I would be getting close. Took my first one of them when I was 4 with a recurve bow. Then I cried the whole day when I realized it was really dead. Didn't kill my first turkey till 21.

happy, i hope you aint got artheritis and hemroids from drawing that 80lb recurve at 4 years old, bet it had a 31 inch draw too.

Happy

Don't want to derail this fellows thread any further but I am fine. Have dropped down to a 75 lb compound since those days

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

CtRider

After a lot of research, I'm very happy with my Vortex Diamondbacks in 10x42

NTravis

Hi,
New to the group and first post.
I usually carry an older Nikon Prostaff Laser 440 range finder that is 8x20. Its great for getting distance but a little lacking in clarity and field of view.
Depending on where i am hunting i will also carry my Bushnell Permafocus 8x32 Focus Free Binoculars.
I really like the fact that i can just raise them up and look, no focusing and am happy with the clarity and brightness of them.

stinkpickle

I found a sweet deal on some Vortex Viper 10x50s a while back, and now I'm addicted to them.

MK M GOBL

One other thing is with size, if these are truly a turkey hunting pair or if you intend to use for other things will make a bit of difference in that choice. I have a few pairs of binos to use for different pursuits... My turkey binos I wanted small as I have changed over to using a hip pack for chasing longbeards.

My swaro's fit the pack right!

MK M GOBL

Swab21

Vortex Diamondbacks go on sale around  Black Friday up until the new year.. I picked up some 10x42's for deer hunting and scouting ducks for $100.00

ARjtk

I'm happy with my Leupold BX-2 Acadias. Very clear. You can find them around $200

CtRider

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 13, 2018, 02:34:15 PM

MK M GOBL
I have the same Fiskars ratchet pruners - they work great as well!

GobbleNut

For anyone in the market for binoculars, here is my standard advice:

Avoid the off-brand, cheapo stuff for sure.  It is not that they won't look like they will work when you look through them at the store, the problem will be that, unless you absolutely "baby" them all the time, they will get knocked out of alignment very easily.  Check any possible purchase by doing this:  Hold the binos in both hands, look through them at some distant object, and then twist your hands in opposite directions (push up with one hand and pull down with the other).  If the image doubles or is otherwise distorted easily, and especially if they do not return to a single, clear image when you release the pressure, pass them up. 

You probably do not need really expensive binoculars for what it appears you are planning on using them for.  You can probably find something in the $75-$150 range that would work just fine.  From what I have seen, Bushnell makes a pretty reliable, functional, and inexpensive product for the kind of use you are talking about. 

tha bugman

Leupold Acadia worth every penny.

trkehunr93

Vortex diamondback, great glass at a reasonable price

Sand Man

I never leave the truck without binos.  Do yourself and favor and spend the money on a comfortable/quality harness.  You'll hardly notice they are there.

I broke down several years ago when I started elk hunting and bought a quality set of binos.  I've never regretted that purchase one day.  In fact, I'd say it's probably my best hunting purchase.  I bought a pair of Leica Geovids with the built in range finder.  Do a lot of glassing and your eyes with thank you.  My .02!

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

RutnNStrutn

I consider binoculars to be a must have tool. I always glass the area before I stand up, or go around a corner, or walk into the open, etc. I have spotted many a turkey that were out of sight of my naked eye, or standing in the shadows, etc. I use my Nikon Monarch 10x42's mounted on a chest strap. I would buy another set that's smaller, but I'm too cheap. :lol: