turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Movement Advice

Started by BerettaMan, February 07, 2018, 07:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BerettaMan

So, I was scouting the local WMA down here in Florida this week and, as I was leaving, I saw a couple of Toms crossing the road at about 4:15 in the afternoon (about 2 hours before sunset).  My question is: If I were to set up on them in the morning (during Turkey season, of course!), which side of the road would you set up, on the side they were coming from or the side they were going to?  At 4:15PM were they on their way back to their roosting area or were they still moving away from the roost? 
Thanks for your help... and infinite wisdom!

Gamblinman

Too early to determine. Need to set on them till dark to see if and where you hear gobbling. If not, then be there in the morning.

Opening day, WMA in FL, I want to be right under the tree he's roosted if I want a shot, otherwise, the other guy will be.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

guesswho

I always try to set up on the right side.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

born2hunt

Quote from: guesswho on February 07, 2018, 08:30:40 PM
I always try to set up on the right side.

:agreed: Now that's some solid advice right there...

But really, two hours before sun set a turkey can still be way way away from their roost site. Heck, depending on the WMA they may cross multiple more roads before they get there. Or they could just make a loop and go back...its practically impossible to say.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Spitten and drummen

Most likely by the time season rolls around , they will have moved somewhere else.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BerettaMan

Thanks for all the replies.... even you jokers!

Yeah, I guess as a new turkey hunter, I am not really aware of their movements in general.  Do they tend to "live" in one area for a while or are they more nomadic, constantly moving from place to place.  I guess I have some more research to do!

Thanks again!

Spitten and drummen

They move around following the food sources season to season. Close to season find the hens. Gobblers will be where there are hens guaranteed.They will be close to a food source , water and good nesting area. Just because you have birds in the fall does not mean you will have them in the spring.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Happy

That's the thing. One sighting doesn't mean much other than turkeys are in the area. They might have been buggered and off their normal routine or they may cross that road daily. You have to keep an eye on things before you start to see patterns.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Right off the bat, from your post I would assume you are new to spring gobbler hunting.  If that is indeed the case, you first need to understand the elements of spring hunting (and scouting) that are truly significant,...and those that are not.

While seeing a couple of gobblers in the afternoon is not worthless,...it does let you know that turkeys live there,...the importance of that event is way down the list of things to take note of.  ...And basing your hunting decisions on that sighting is pretty much a waste of time, especially a full month or more before the season starts.  The real value of your scouting at this point in time is learning as much as you can about the property you are going to be hunting when the season does finally get here.

Stick around here on OG and you will learn the real keys to spring gobbler hunting success from a bunch of very knowledgeable folks.  Much of it has already been discussed in detail in past discussions,...but I am sure we will be re-hashing it all again in the next couple of months.   ;D 

g8rvet

Quotelearning as much as you can about the property you are going to be hunting when the season does finally get here.
Unknown creeks cost me more birds than any other mistake I made when I first started turkey hunting.   I agree with this point very much.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

guesswho

As season gets closer do some low impact scouting.  Scout with your ears a week or so before your hunt.   You can probably figure out then where you need to be.   I still say your odds are better if your go to the right side.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff