turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

my single shot 12

Started by tnanh, February 07, 2018, 04:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnanh

I bought this gun at a pawn shop a few years ago for 86.00 out the door. It is a Sears that is the same as a Winchester model 37A. When I bought it the gun was like new. It had a 30 inch full choke barrel and no recoil pad. Recoil was so bad with 3 inch turkey loads I gave the gun to my son. He shot three shots through it and gave it back. I decided to play around with it and sent it to Sumtoy. William cut the barrel to 26 inches, tapped it for Remington chokes and installed a picattiny rail. He also cut the stock, added a limbsaver recoil pad and lengthened the forcing cone. I wanted a gun that would shoot lead well and that is why I did this. I have a lifetime supply of three inch turkey thug 5s and 6s that Walmart sold for 3.00 a box at the end of turkey season. It has a Simmons pro diamond 2 power scope and a Sumtoy .665 choke. The paint job is the first I have done myself. Today I received the sling on it from Anobody on this sight. It will consistently shoot in the 120's with Turkey Thug 5s. The work Sumtoy did has made the recoil bearable. No beauty queen but I am pleased with 120's from lead 5s.

Gobspur

Sounds like a killer! Congrats

paboxcall

Sweet - nice modification. William does nice work.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

dirt road ninja

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tnanh

Thanks. I think I will be happy with it. Just need to find some turkeys. A lot of people talk about "building" a gun. The only thing I built was the paint job. A lot of other people on here built the gun for me. The only thing I did was paint it and put the scope on it. I even bought the scope from someone on Old Gobbler. I appreciate all the help and knowledge on this site.

Damson

How much did the custom work cost?

tnanh

35.00 to cut and thread the barrel. 35.00 to lengthen the forcing cone and 35.00 to drill, tap, and install rail. The Sumtoy choke was 65.00 I think. I got the sling from "Anobody"  in the classified section. I think it was 17.00. He will make any color paracord sling you want and is a  good guy. Sumtoy did all the other work. Only trouble I had was the back srew holes on the scope mount stripped. He has done several others for me and this is the only one I ever had trouble with. Would not hesitate to send it to him again. I shot 1 Federal Grand Slam #5 and that is what happened.

Izzyjoe

William is a great guy, and now you have a nice turkey gun that you can be proud of.

tnanh

William is a great guy and his prices are very reasonable. He has done work on several guns for me and will always be my go to.