OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sooo...

Started by Happy, February 07, 2018, 12:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Why do you think a turkey sometimes responds to one call better than another? I have my opinions but for once I will keep my yap shut for a bit.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WNCTracker

Must be dialect because being from the north and now living in south it took me a while to learn how to add the draw on the end of the yelps for these local birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

I can't say I have the definent answer but I can say I've seen it a lot. I can remember several gobblers that I started with an old box call and when I switched to a slate or mouthcall I got no response when I went back to the box right back to gobbling. I've seen it go the other way we're a mouthcall slate etc. was what kept them interested. When I hunted Texas I went thru all the calls in my vest and though I was close to gobbling birds I got nothing until I tried my ceramic yellow hammer pot killed my limit with the YH and its never been a big producer other places. I do think the mouth call is over done in a lot of public areas and other calls work better there.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Bowhunter123224

I think it has a lot to do with mood and what sounds attractive to that turkey at that given time. Some of it might be that a certain call sounds like a hen he is comfortable with and doesn't currently have with him, or it could be the opposite that it has a unique sound that he is unfamiliar with. So, I guess what I am saying is there are a few reasons why but who knows exactly what he is thinking when he's tearing the woods up running to you, then you switch calls and dead silence switch back and its on again. 

davisd9

My thoughts is a particular call sounds like a bird they are familiar with.  Just like people turkeys all sound different.  May not be noticeable to us, but may be to them.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

1iagobblergetter

It's kind of like some guys like thin woman and others like them thick,some like them in between,and others like to mix it up a bit so there chances are better....   :funnyturkey:

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 07, 2018, 02:34:57 PM
It's kind of like some guys like thin woman and others like them thick,some like them in between,and others like to mix it up a bit so there chances are better....   :funnyturkey:
And some like them all....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

I would say first and foremost is the importantance of rhythm and then knowing what to say when and when not to say anything.
Now there are a lot of calls out there and birds all "sound" different. I do know I have had better responses from specific calls and my said ability to run that call, that confidence ends up being the call that's in my hand.

MK M GOBL

guesswho

Davisd9 beat me to it.   Recognition, and or irritation.   You can usually yank a gobble with a high frequency call where others fail.

Keep in mind, just because he responded to your call doesn't necessarily mean he's interested in meeting.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

crow

Quote from: davisd9 on February 07, 2018, 12:55:19 PM
My thoughts is a particular call sounds like a bird they are familiar with.  Just like people turkeys all sound different.  May not be noticeable to us, but may be to them.

Davis's answer is pretty much what my thoughts on it are, and I would add,

some days I like to hear girls with French accents, other days maybe Swedish, Italian or French (I like French)

Spitten and drummen

I honestly believe that the birds in a particular flock hear one another almost daily. That being said , I believe that sometimes a certain call sounds exactly like one of the birds from the flock that they are familiar with.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Spitten and drummen

guess alot of us are in agreement here.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

paboxcall

Quote from: guesswho on February 07, 2018, 02:49:33 PM
Davisd9 beat me to it.   Recognition, and or irritation.   You can usually yank a gobble with a high frequency call where others fail.

Keep in mind, just because he responded to your call doesn't necessarily mean he's interested in meeting.

:agreed:

Years ago, last day of the season found me and my buddy standing across a vista where all season a couple birds had periodically gobbled off and on since early spring to many of the 5,000 or so different trucks that pulled off there to call. We were finished so what the heck, let's try those two gobblers. We each ran literally everything in our vests - pots, boxes, mouth calls, and zip. Not a peep.

Then I dug around and found a wing bone call in my truck I hadn't been confident enough to hunt, and tried that - lightning strike - both birds gobbled.

We ran through everything in our vest again, and nothing. I hit that little wing bone after all that racket, and - wham - double gobbles.

It must have been something familiar to them with that wing bone call. Recognition as GuessWho speculates.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Happy

I agree with the recognition part for some instances. But here is a kicker. I have a few toms that basically live behind my house. They are at least 3 years old now so we have interacted a lot. I have called to them a lot and just try and test some stuff out on them.  I can take 3 different type calls with different tones and make the same call with it and they will gobble. There is a certain cutting sequence that trips their trigger so to speak. Doesn't work on every gobbler but it is pretty well a sure thing in the spring with these birds. All this is to say that I believe certain turkeys have different cadences or calls if you will that trip their trigger. But I have also noticed that you can  work really hard to get a tom to sound off and once you get him warmed up so to speak he will gobble at everything. Last year I worked a group of three two year olds with two hens that would only gobble at one particular pot call I had. It took two hours to bring them about 300 yards and they never made a peep to any other call I used.  That was an instance of tone I believe. I sounded like a turkey they were familiar with. I am still not convinced that we hear things exactly the same as a turkey either. Obviously they have much better hearing but I think there may be more to it than that. These are all just my musings and quite possibly wrong. Long story short is I don't believe that tone is the only factor in making one sound off. This is excluding shock gobbling of course.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

Quote from: davisd9 on February 07, 2018, 12:55:19 PM

I'll also "take davisd9 for $200 Alex..."

And I'll add - I think - with it being difficult to hear our own call from 100-400 yds away, I believe some calls will carry better depending on circumstances. I believe, maybe, that the particular Gobbler hearing it may believe that hen is closer than the rest, and therefore get him a little more fired up.

Or I'm just full of BS... I can relate to either.