turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone else doing any early scouting?

Started by Tail Feathers, February 07, 2018, 11:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

Our season opens mid April (very late for Texas) but I'm already looking.
I was out Tuesday for a few hours and saw absolutely zero sign.

On my way out, I spot two longbeards crossing a pipeline.  Man that was a sight for sore eyes!

I know most of us keep any eye out on turkey activity year round, but is anyone else out actively looking already?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

Yes was out last week putting in a little turkey time ....

SwampRooster17

Hope to put in some scouting this weekend and next week on some land I just picked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

I try to spend as much time in the woods I Turkey hunt as possible. This time of year I'm learning the lay of the land creeks good listening areas etc. when the gobbling starts then I narrow down to the areas I plan to hunt. It also helps a lot to put some miles on to get in shape for the season.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

davisd9

Too early to get much hunting information now as they are still in winter patterns and flocks.  Good time to walk and learn the land and get ideas of where birds may be.  Will start scouting for hunting first week of March or so.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dejake

Nope.  Have another month till they're in their spring areas.

MK M GOBL

Not even close here in WI, everything is still in winter flocks... month+ and will start putting in some time. For now just looking at flock condition, numbers and such. And same here birds are not where they will be come season...

MK M GOBL

Bowguy

Yea in my area we're still getting winter storms. Even the winter flocks are not visible w hunting still happening. Haven't seen one turk in months. Things are getting closer though

Cove

Have been for close to month now. Daily when this crazy weather allows.

bbcoach

We hunt our deer lease so we have a real good idea where the birds are.  We will start early morning scouting, for gobbling, around the last week of March for our opener on the 14th of April.

BottomLand54

Been out and seen some monsters. Turkeys are moving and picking around not allot scratching here but seen the birds have seen probaly close to 50-60 in last week. One flock of about 50 hens and seen 3 nice long beards today.

Happy

Nope. I will start late February or early march. Season doesn't Starrt till mid April anyways. I scout a year ahead anyways. Just checking out were turkeys are present. I am more of a play the ball as it lies kind of guy. Very little roosting the day before I hunt. If I am in earshot when one gobbles at daylight it's good enough.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mtns2hunt

Too early to pattern Turkeys in my opinion. But I do like to walk any properties I hunt. With no leaves it is easy to see the lay of the land. At this time I use trail cams to do my scouting. I'm mainly interested in seeing those flocks of Gobblers. Caught 5 on a trail cam last week. I know at least two or three will be close by when the season gets closer and I start listening.

As an old guy I focus on getting in shape. Currently running three miles every other day. Seems my turkeys always gobble on the other side of the farm.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Dtrkyman

Found a bunch of fresh scratching today...nearly the same area as last year this time...taking stands and safety ropes down but always looking for turkeys!

FLGobstopper

Heard my first gobbles of the year last Friday on a beautiful cool morning. Squirrel hunted real close to an area I took my daughter last year and we were covered up. It's permit only area for turkeys and she has one there again this year. Birds gobbling were within a half mile of where they were last year so I have no reason to believe they won't be in there again.

The purpose wasn't really to scout I really just wanted to get in the woods and knew there were squirrels there but then hearing those birds sure was a welcome bonus. The best part was on the way out when a half dozen longbeards walked across the road in front of me.

About another 3 weeks and I'll check on them again and get into full scout mode. Youth season here for her is March 10 and 11 then regular season opens the next weekend. Getting close!