turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pretty good opening week in NC

Started by RS, April 17, 2011, 07:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS

I'm a new member here but thought I would share a little story about my opening week in NE NC.  Opening morning last Sat. I hunted one of my favorite spots and despite some bad weather conditions it didn't disappoint.  Had 3 birds gobbling out in the edge of the swamp and  at at 6:35 this fella was at the field edge looking pretty mean at my jake and hen decoys.  I let him sidle up beside the jake and filled my first NC tag.

I had to work Mon. and Tues. but was able to take off Wed. Thurs., and Fri.  Wed. morning I decided to hunt another tract behind our clubhouse that I hadn't killed a turkey on in a few years.  By 9:45 I had covered a good bit of ground and hadn't seen or heard a turkey.  Working back toward my truck I glassed a corn stubble field and saw a strutting turkey along the field edge only about 150 yards around the corner from I had parked my truck.  I was able work around through the woods to the field corner and try to call him close enought for a shot but, after about an hour he would only gobble at my calls but just strut back and forth in the same spot.  I was able to reposition less than 100 yds away from him, about 20 yds up in the pines and as a last resort scratched in the leaves which finally did the trick and I shot him at 12 yds after he entered the woods with me to tag out.  

After

a-j calls

tiggere

Good job !!!...I can't pay one to gobble down here in south eastern NC

JVA54

BowBendr

Nice to see you over here posting Randy.
Saw your pics on the NC H&F site and wanted to say Congrats on those fine NC birds.

njdevilsb

turkey slayer

Sounds like you've had a sweet season so far. congrats!