OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cody World Class Slate..Worth the Money?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 06, 2018, 09:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Yes lots of talk going on here, to me the price doesn't matter as long as the product performs!

I bought my first CODY after hearing one, never heard of the name or call until I bumped in to a guy playing one at a "show" 20 some years ago and he wasn't even selling or promoting the call.

I just posted that story a few days ago, it's a good read :)

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,78572.0.html

MK M GOBL

Gobble!

I'd have a hard time spending that when you have some of the best custom call makers who sell calls for around $100.

Gobble!

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 08, 2018, 02:01:33 PM
Yes lots of talk going on here, to me the price doesn't matter as long as the product performs!

I bought my first CODY after hearing one, never heard of the name or call until I bumped in to a guy playing one at a "show" 20 some years ago and he wasn't even selling or promoting the call.

I just posted that story a few days ago, it's a good read :)

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,78572.0.html

MK M GOBL

Agreed. IF the call sounded better than others for half the price then I would spend the extra money.

MK M GOBL

Took me a bit to find this, I was doing a talk for some kids at a Learn to Hunt program I volunteer for.

I am running a diaphragm at first then get to running my CODY World Class Slate.

one more from FB

https://www.facebook.com/GaysMillsSportsmansClubLearnToHuntProgram/videos/vb.596872750328387/1670146359667682/?type=2&theater

MK M GOBL

ncturkey

Chad Snyder

Bill just added sound files for box call and Woosdman glass make out of heart pine.   Darn work IPAD isn't letting me share the links. 

davisd9

Quote from: guesswho on February 08, 2018, 01:57:33 PM
Just listened to the video.  Good sounding call, Yelps sound great.  But still worth nowhere near $175 to me.  Not with all the other calls out there that match or exceed what I'm hearing in the video for far less.   But again that's just me, some may feel it's worth every penny.  So if someone feels that way then it would be money well spent.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

MK M GOBL

So this thread started with a simple question and we all "value" things different. It's like having a pair of Swarovski Binos, DSD Decoys or a Double Bull Blind. You put your money in to what you believe in and if it lives up to what you spent and when asked was it worth the money, my answer is yes!

Even sat down and did the math, that call has cost me less than .75¢ a bird :TooFunny:

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 08, 2018, 07:28:41 PM

So this thread started with a simple question and we all "value" things different. It's like having a pair of Swarovski Binos, DSD Decoys or a Double Bull Blind. You put your money in to what you believe in and if it lives up to what you spent and when asked was it worth the money, my answer is yes!

Even sat down and did the math, that call has cost me less than .75¢ a bird :TooFunny:

MK M GOBL
Man that's cheap... i don't want to figure up what all my turkeys have cost...just a guess around 1000 dollars each.... :TooFunny:

jordanz7935

Its not the $200 call you guys are talking about, but i bought a Cody Drop Dead woodsman slate last year. Called Cody and ordered it directly from Bill Zearing. Was a great guy to do business with IMO. The Drop Dead Woodsman was actually his recommendation as i was originally interested in another call. Its a green slate over laminate wood soundboard that comes with a carbon tipped striker. Its the real deal. Sweet sounding slate that pretty much does it all. It was pretty much my go to call guiding hunters last year. Best playing slate in humid , real world hunting conditions that ive ever had.Very consistent playing slate and requires very little conditioning.Id personally rank it above my Sneed Hot Hen and thats saying alot. Im no expert but Cody has been around a long time and have been making top quality pot calls for a lot longer than anyone else that im aware of. I think the $175-$200 price tag is fair for the work and time that goes into making those calls, as are top of the line box calls selling for the same price. Can the same be said for a $15 woodhaven mouth call? Now, we also have to realize its a custom call company, who has a lot more overhead and will never be able to keep prices low like a many of the 1 man operations. Good customer service from a shop thats turning out calls year round. Now is it worth it? Its all relative. Id have to say yes. In a world where we have a lot of reallly good custom pot call makers id put Cody in the top 10 if not the top 5.

BottomLand54

is a benelli sbe 2 worth 1800.00 or a sbe 3

probaly to most no but to me yes

same way with a call depends on your wants

Gobble!

MK M GOBL

Not really. DSD, Double Bull, Swarovski are the best at what they do. They are clear front runners in their industries. They can charge more and customers will pay it because they are the best. Is Cody CLEARLY the best pot call maker, based on those sound clips no. Great sounding call no doubt about it, but at roughly double the price of their competitors (Lights Out, Halloran, Hooks, and others), they clearly need to be the best for me to justify double the cost.

I'm hunting for another pot at the NWTF show. It's between slate and aluminum. Maybe that Cody call will wow me when I hold it and I'll eat my words and drop the $200, but I doubt it.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Gobble! on February 08, 2018, 11:21:24 PM

Even sat down and did the math, that call has cost me less than .75¢ a bird :TooF

MK M GOBL

Not really. DSD, Double Bull, Swarovski are the best at what they do. They are clear front runners in their industries. They can charge more and customers will pay it because they are the best. Is Cody CLEARLY the best pot call maker, based on those sound clips no. Great sounding call no doubt about it, but at roughly double the price of their competitors (Lights Out, Halloran, Hooks, and others), they clearly need to be the best for me to justify double the cost.

I'm hunting for another pot at the NWTF show. It's between slate and aluminum. Maybe that Cody call will wow me when I hold it and I'll eat my words and drop the $200, but I doubt it.

It is a matter of opinion. Not bashing Wendell of lights out but I haven't ran one of his pots that I really thought sounded phenominal. It all comes down to the sound you think sounds best. If you have a call like that , your confidence goes up and you will use it a lot more resulting in more positive feed back from birds. A call you don't think sounds that good will not see the field very much resulting in less gobbler encounters. Simple math really.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

GobbleNut

As usual, I really don't have anything constructive to add to this conversation,...but I will chime in anyway... :toothy9:

All the bases have been covered here,...in summary, use what you wanna,...if it feels good, do it.

From my personal perspective, I have heard enough turkeys called in by the worst sounding calls to ever be concerned enough about spending more money than I am comfortable with to get the best sounding call(s).  Perhaps more importantly, if I ever get to the point where I think my calling is the reason I am not killing turkeys, I might change my perspective on that.

As of now, however, I fool one just often enough with my crummy old calls that I am content to accept the fact that there may be one once in a while that I could call with a high-dollar call that I can't call with my low-dollar ones.  I have just come to accept the fact that I can't call every stinkin' one of them in that I call to. 

One learns to accept one's limitations....   ;D :toothy12:

Greg Massey

You know it's funny we will spend 200 - 300 dollars to load 6 - 8 Tss shells from pound of shot , but we complain about calls costing 200 dollars.. That call will still be around regardless if you don't loose the call.  If you shoot that 6 dollar plus shell it's gone forever... Buy what you want and use what you want.. Life is way to short not to be happy...opinion ...