Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cody World Class Slate..Worth the Money?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 06, 2018, 09:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkz39

Iam not sure which Cody slate this is,  but this is the one I was talking about that my buddy used that day in KY.  I had him send me a picture of it.  I have bought several codys since then but none has the turkey tone that his call has that's for sure,  he said he knew he didn't pay over 60.00 for the call.

mspaci

Quote from: Chad Snyder on February 07, 2018, 06:38:03 PM
I'm lucky that I live about 10 minutes from Bill and have been to his shop many times.   The World Class , Spec1, and Legend are unique calls.   He shaves down walnut into long thin strips.  Bottom is one piece and side is wrapped numerous times.    Takes about 2 months to make a batch when he makes them.   I have calls from lots of well known call makers, Codys just seem more Realistic to me.
side wrapped in what, not sure I understand

Greg Massey

Quote from: Fieldturkey on February 07, 2018, 07:39:09 PM
Bottom line is that it's worth it if you want it. Who cares what we think. Its all relative
I hope your not getting upset because we are discussing calls on this forum. I was thinking this is what this forum is for and i think a lot of people care...

Greg Massey

Quote from: mspaci on February 07, 2018, 07:51:02 PM
I'm lucky that I live about 10 minutes from Bill and have been to his shop many times.   The World Class , Spec1, and Legend are unique calls.   He shaves down walnut into long thin strips.  Bottom is one piece and side is wrapped numerous times.    Takes about 2 months to make a batch when he makes them.   I have calls from lots of well known call makers, Codys just seem more Realistic to me.
I think the side wrap is just laminating the call with several layers of wood... it takes time gluing all these layers...

Fieldturkey

Why would I be upset? We are discussing whether it's worth the money. That's a personal decision. It's all relative

Chad Snyder

Quote from: mspaci on February 07, 2018, 07:51:02 PM

Bottom of call is one piece of wood.   The whole side is thin strips of wood wrapped around the bottom and glued together.   It's a laminated pot unlike any other I've ever seen.   If you look at pic I posted on page 3, the legend has a Oak bottom.  Sides are Walnut

grayfox

Personally I have never heard a Cody World Class Slate. It's probably a great call from all that I've heard & read about it. I myself would never pay that much for a turkey call. I just don't think you have to pay that much to get a great sounding turkey call. But if it sounds good & it gives you more confidence than other calls you may have than it may be worth it to you. I have an old $20.00 aluminum/slate call that I bought from Bill Cartwright years ago that I've called in more birds with than any other call I have. To me it's just easier for me to run it well & I have lots of confidence in it. If you have confidence in your call you will play it better.

dirt road ninja

BottomLand54

All you guys who say you have one we want sound files please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PALongspur

Quote from: Turkz39 on February 07, 2018, 07:44:02 PM
Iam not sure which Cody slate this is,  but this is the one I was talking about that my buddy used that day in KY.  I had him send me a picture of it.  I have bought several codys since then but none has the turkey tone that his call has that's for sure,  he said he knew he didn't pay over 60.00 for the call.

I believe that's an Envy.

I have a World Class and a Spec 1. They're two of the most realistic sounding slates I own and they've accounted for a pile of dead gobblers. I've had mine for a good many years and I didn't pay near today's price for them.

If you want an excellent sounding call without breaking the bank, don't overlook Bill's original Woodsman slate.

bobk

BottomLand54

Quote from: bobk on February 08, 2018, 06:44:59 AM
I had a Cody Spec I . Nice call.
What happened to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

StruttinGobbler3

Apparently I poked a hornets nest with this post. Interesting discussion. Here's a thought. Why do we balk at 175 for a top shelf pot call, however a box call of the same quality often goes for 150-200? Many of us on this site have spent that or more on a well made box.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

guesswho

Just listened to the video.  Good sounding call, Yelps sound great.  But still worth nowhere near $175 to me.  Not with all the other calls out there that match or exceed what I'm hearing in the video for far less.   But again that's just me, some may feel it's worth every penny.  So if someone feels that way then it would be money well spent.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff