Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cody World Class Slate..Worth the Money?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 06, 2018, 09:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 09, 2018, 10:30:50 AM
You know it's funny we will spend 200 - 300 dollars to load 6 - 8 Tss shells from pound of shot , but we complain about calls costing 200 dollars.. That call will still be around regardless if you don't loose the call.  If you shoot that 6 dollar plus shell it's gone forever... Buy what you want and use what you want.. Life is way to short not to be happy...opinion ...

I'm not complaining about the cost. When someone asks if something is worth its cost, the way to answer that question is to look at its performance vs its competitors. My point is its hard to justify that price when other calls of equal or better quality cost half as much. Now again if someone picks up that call and thinks its better than the other calls they have tied that clearly makes it worth its cost.

Chad Snyder

I purchased a call on a well known turkey auction page on Facebook last year.  Call was $100 and only thing custom on that pot was the pot itself.   All internals and glass came from Brookside game calls and put together.    Think I paid around 75-100 for my Codys years ago and I know Bill cut and made every part of those calls.   So today I'd pay 200 to replace it.   Don't use decoys or blinds and my old 870 with handmade paint job get a the job done without TSS loads

Spitten and drummen

I will say this. My Cody world champion and Spec 1 will be in my vest again this year.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

cutt down

My Cody World Class is probably 20yrs old & called in a bunch of birds. It's the call I compare any new call I get to. Is it worth the money....that's up to you!

BigGobbler

If it's sounds anything or better than the Cody ll it's worth every penny. Before I started to tweak some of my own calls I used a Cody and it has many encounters. I compleated two single season slams with it and it's my go to call. With that said you haft to have confidence in any call and know how and when to play it. It's not just the call that makes a call sound good thier like an instrument you need to know how to play it to make it sing.

greencop01

Very interesting thread. I know that a two hundred dollar call for me is one every 3 or 4 years maybe. I work for a livin and money comes in one hand and out the other pretty quick. That said the bottom line is get whatever floats your boat. Just like I always say huntin turkeys ain't about the killen its about the total experience, and yes killen is PART of it not the whole thing. We all do it cause it grabs us way down deep. Things we do like that keeps us comin back year after year. The calls are PART of it. Its up to the individual. We got a great sport and its a way of life. If a Cody World Class is what puts you in the zone I'm glad for ya. If a Spring Creek Call does it or a Tony Ezolt Wingbone does it fine. As long as it gets you in the zone that's all that counts. I hope you all hear the rattle this Spring.    :icon_thumright:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

BowBendr

Quote from: BottomLand54 on February 07, 2018, 06:09:34 PMI just want to hear one...

1.) Leave terminal after work
2.) Come to Home Depot
3.) Ring bell on door at receiving dept.
4.) Play Cody call for yourself.......

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

BottomLand54

Lol I was headed there today but they put it on another guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chufagold

Quote from: davisd9 on February 08, 2018, 04:26:18 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 08, 2018, 01:57:33 PM
Just listened to the video.  Good sounding call, Yelps sound great.  But still worth nowhere near $175 to me.  Not with all the other calls out there that match or exceed what I'm hearing in the video for far less.   But again that's just me, some may feel it's worth every penny.  So if someone feels that way then it would be money well spent.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds decent but nowhere near 200 to me

turkey_slayer

Quote from: bghunter777 on February 07, 2018, 12:32:10 PM
I'v said this before and hope its not taken in a wrong as I'm not trying to self promote or offend. When you reach a certain calling aptitude the call chosen does make a difference. Many turkeys it does not but some it does. Its like playing a high end instrument you need to reach a certain level of ability to truly start appreciated the subtle differences.

As I'v said before probably 80% of birds ready to commit can be called in equally as well by a 20 dollar primos jackpot as a cody from a descent caller. This is hard to prove other than 1000s of hours of observation there comes a time where having a very premium call in the hands of a skilled caller will call that bird in when nothing else would even the same skilled caller with a lower end call. A side benefit is its also just fun to run a well tuned Cody World Class Slate. Some of you guys with think of I am full of BS and a few of you will understand exactly what I'm saying.
Well said

Marc

Quote from: Happy on February 07, 2018, 06:58:18 AM
But if I wanted a world class I would go buy one. But I wouldn't buy it under the impression that is was going to make me a better hunter.

I agree with this...

If I could afford to do so, I would have a room full of calls and shotguns...  Nothing wrong with owning some nice things that give us pleasure, as long as we can afford them.

Clothing, I will save up for if need be.  Good clothing is a must for remaining comfortable (especially for duck hunting, which is my passion).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Greg Massey

Nothing wrong with owning one and paying the price of the Cody call... BUT ... it don't take one of them to kill turkeys ... lot's of low cost pot calls and other type calls have killed a lot of turkeys along with the old single barrel shotguns ....

Turkeyman

I bought both a Cody World Class glass and slate many years ago. I have several other pot calls but these are the only two in my vest. Wouldn't go out without them.

WV Flopper

I was a kid, about 19 or 20 I think. Went to Harrisburg PA to the sports show and Bill was set up there. I stayed there and ran his calls for an hour, then, threw down my money. He started to bag up one of the world class calls and I said "OH no, I want this one." He was like its the demo. "I want this one", He bagged it and the striker I was running it with.
Ten or so years down the road I dropped it, the sound board broke loose inside the call. I used it, still killed birds with it for a few years. Sent it back and they fixed it free of charge- Life Time Guarantee.
Two years ago I started to get squirrelly, what if I loose it? break it? someone steals it?  So I ordered a new call, Spec Legend. They aint cheap. Well it was a really nice call. A friend of mine was here one day, he gets to telling me he has a world class that was given to him. I think whatever, so where's it at? Well he goes to his truck and returns with a pristine old world class. I get to running them two calls on my back porch, they sounded somewhat alike. I could tell a difference but he could not. I liked the world class sound better, granted I have been running the same world class call for 25 years.  So, I look at my buddy and said, "Hey, want to trade?" No! Well, I got to thinking I have to have this call. Ok, I will give you the NEW Legend plus a crisp bill. No! Crap... About an hour goes by and I have kind of forgot about it. He looks at me and says, get the bill. Sold! Done deal.
Now, I think I paid 225 for the Legend? and gave the man 100 to boot, for a 195$ call. Yes, all of you reading this are shaking your head at my admitted stupidity, right fully so. The sound I have heard for 25+ years now lives in my house in its own special case if it ever is to be needed. I have a spare.
I have read many times over, slates do not produce the volume. I don't understand that? Mine will ring your ears when I open her up and let her go. Cant call in the house unless to make some soft clucks and purrs.  Breaks unreal, smooth as silk, yelps unreal. Yea, I think I could kill a turkey with another pot if it were even half a decent call, but it aint the same. I love that Cody, it has been the death of wayyyyy over 100 gobblers, probably 150, without exaggeration.
I have bought several different brands over the years to try out. Haven't ever ran one on a hunt yet. If they make it to my vest, they don't come out for action. I don't know why I even carry them. I have 3 pots in my vest now, World class, Sneed, and some other free plastic pot that really sounds ok when wet. Those other two don't see the light of day. I have had a Cherry something or another, gave it away. Zink, gave it away. Hardy, gave it away.
Find someone that has one, and if he can run it proper, get him to let you try it!
I took a coworker on my sons youth hunt this year. He is a turkey hunter/killer. He has been running a Zink that he really liked, told me he sanded through it. Really, never heard that before. He only had the call for three years! Well at 10:46am my son dumped a gobbler. We had set up a total of three times before finally being able to get it right. After we took some pictures he asked what call I was running, told me he loved the call. Now he has heard about 4 hours of calls out of this call along with mouth calls in the woods. He went home and ordered a World Class and a Envy!
If I heard Bill were going to stop making calls I would buy 5 of them today! Pony up the money and get one

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: WV Flopper on May 11, 2019, 11:29:08 AM
I was a kid, about 19 or 20 I think. Went to Harrisburg PA to the sports show and Bill was set up there. I stayed there and ran his calls for an hour, then, threw down my money. He started to bag up one of the world class calls and I said "OH no, I want this one." He was like its the demo. "I want this one", He bagged it and the striker I was running it with.
Ten or so years down the road I dropped it, the sound board broke loose inside the call. I used it, still killed birds with it for a few years. Sent it back and they fixed it free of charge- Life Time Guarantee.
Two years ago I started to get squirrelly, what if I loose it? break it? someone steals it?  So I ordered a new call, Spec Legend. They aint cheap. Well it was a really nice call. A friend of mine was here one day, he gets to telling me he has a world class that was given to him. I think whatever, so where's it at? Well he goes to his truck and returns with a pristine old world class. I get to running them two calls on my back porch, they sounded somewhat alike. I could tell a difference but he could not. I liked the world class sound better, granted I have been running the same world class call for 25 years.  So, I look at my buddy and said, "Hey, want to trade?" No! Well, I got to thinking I have to have this call. Ok, I will give you the NEW Legend plus a crisp bill. No! Crap... About an hour goes by and I have kind of forgot about it. He looks at me and says, get the bill. Sold! Done deal.
Now, I think I paid 225 for the Legend? and gave the man 100 to boot, for a 195$ call. Yes, all of you reading this are shaking your head at my admitted stupidity, right fully so. The sound I have heard for 25+ years now lives in my house in its own special case if it ever is to be needed. I have a spare.
I have read many times over, slates do not produce the volume. I don't understand that? Mine will ring your ears when I open her up and let her go. Cant call in the house unless to make some soft clucks and purrs.  Breaks unreal, smooth as silk, yelps unreal. Yea, I think I could kill a turkey with another pot if it were even half a decent call, but it aint the same. I love that Cody, it has been the death of wayyyyy over 100 gobblers, probably 150, without exaggeration.
I have bought several different brands over the years to try out. Haven't ever ran one on a hunt yet. If they make it to my vest, they don't come out for action. I don't know why I even carry them. I have 3 pots in my vest now, World class, Sneed, and some other free plastic pot that really sounds ok when wet. Those other two don't see the light of day. I have had a Cherry something or another, gave it away. Zink, gave it away. Hardy, gave it away.
Find someone that has one, and if he can run it proper, get him to let you try it!
I took a coworker on my sons youth hunt this year. He is a turkey hunter/killer. He has been running a Zink that he really liked, told me he sanded through it. Really, never heard that before. He only had the call for three years! Well at 10:46am my son dumped a gobbler. We had set up a total of three times before finally being able to get it right. After we took some pictures he asked what call I was running, told me he loved the call. Now he has heard about 4 hours of calls out of this call along with mouth calls in the woods. He went home and ordered a World Class and a Envy!
If I heard Bill were going to stop making calls I would buy 5 of them today! Pony up the money and get one

Well said. I have 2 CODY world class slates and a spec 1 legend on order.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE