OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cody World Class Slate..Worth the Money?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 06, 2018, 09:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on February 07, 2018, 12:53:56 PM
There's a lot to be said with the effectiveness of sounding drunk and slutty.
That's the approach I take.
Amen Happy , i trying to tell these guys, but i think it goes in one ear and out the other... my opinion..

outdoors

WOW THIS POST IS ON FIRE ................
Very very interesting
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Spitten and drummen

I am a absolutely hard core turkey hunter. I say this to point out that I do not mind spending money on a sport I love. I have enough calls to equip a battalion and will have more. I know calling is not everything but I put 100 percent into anything I do. I practice calling year around , I am always tinkering with my reloads and so forth. I strive to use the best sounding calls that I like the sound of and have the confidence in. You can call a bird in with a rusty nail on a piece of tin on some days. I believe when you are hunting highly pressured birds , then realism comes more into play to seperate you from the average guy. I have 20 dollar production calls i have killed birds with and I have some calls that are very expensive that has killed birds. In the end , it is what you want and what gives you confidence.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

guesswho

Along the same lines as what S&D is saying.   People overlook the age class of the gobblers.  Any bird can be called to the gun on any given day.  But a couple things do put the odds in favor of the gobbler.  Pressure and age. 

But even knowing that, I'm not dropping a buck seventy five on a Cody.   But fully understand a man thinking they are worth it.  Perception is reality.   So if you think it's worth the asking price then it's worth it to a least one person.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

Quote from: guesswho on February 07, 2018, 03:33:36 PM
Along the same lines as what S&D is saying.   People overlook the age class of the gobblers.  Any bird can be called to the gun on any given day.  But a couple things do put the odds in favor of the gobbler.  Pressure and age. 

But even knowing that I'm not dropping a buck seventy five on a Cody.   But fully understand a man thinking they are worth it.  Perception is reality.   So if you think it's worth the asking price then it's worth it to a least one person.

Good post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: guesswho on February 07, 2018, 03:33:36 PM

But even knowing that I'm not dropping a buck seventy five on a Cody.   But fully understand a man thinking they are worth it.  Perception is reality.   So if you think it's worth the asking price then it's worth it to a least one person.

well said.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BottomLand54

Ok guys I talked to MR. Bill today that owns and builds Cody calls he said out of his own mouth to me just play one. He said I wouldn't spent 200.00 on a legend either unless you played one and see how fine a violin it is.

So I have made a new thread in the general section here wanting folks to post sound files of their Cody calls. I want to hear it. I want to hear what the fuss is about.

I havnt heard or held one or ran one.

Also I agree with others I want to hear a call outside not in an arena. Sometimes this is hard to do at like say the nwtf convention.

Gobspur

So what is it about this calls build that makes it so expensive?  Type of slate? quality of build? or I'm guessing it just has that "sound" that enough people like so they can charge more.  Never seen or heard it so I'm in no way bashing it.  Just wondering why the price?

BottomLand54

Quote from: Gobspur on February 07, 2018, 04:15:32 PM
So what is it about this calls build that makes it so expensive?  Type of slate? quality of build? or I'm guessing it just has that "sound" that enough people like so they can charge more.  Never seen or heard it so I'm in no way bashing it.  Just wondering why the price?
Bill said his legend and world class is built like no other pot call. It's not your normal 1 piece call and takes allot of time to build it ain't out together in one day. He only can make so many a year because they take so long to build unlike just turning a pot out of 1 piece of woods and putting a playing surface on it. Now that's what I was told, who knows. Anyone want to buy one and we will tear it apart and look at it?

I just want to hear one...
These guys say they have em I want to hear a sound file of one. If they are that good I believe we would hear sound files and guys just raving over em. That's my opinion. If they are that good sure I would spend the money. No different then getting a high end box call built.

Why the cost? I suppose the time, the engineering that went into it, possibly even its just that good.

I hear it's a 2 piece pot not a 1 piece he said he sales 1 piece pots and that's exactly what you get and they are in the 50.00 range.

I don't know much about all this but h e been around an excellent call builder and watched him turn pots and it does take time and know how, for example the depth and the holes, the soundboard and the playing surface all the way up too the glue used. All of those variables go into building a nice pot call.

No two calls are identical, wood grain varies even in the same chunk of wood, playing surfaces varies depending on micrometers of thickness, sound is different depending on holes and depth of sound chamber along with how the sound board is glued in. It ain't no fly by night operation. Guys who have figured it out have spent years learning and it's a passion not a profit making business. And when someone has something good it sales itself and there is no need for advertisement.

When I a rookie pick up a pot and run it my friends watch my eyes and can tell if I like it.

Every one likes a different sound, the birds may not like what sounds good to you or to me. Just what I've learned and sometimes they don't like anything we have to offer because they got what they want and that's a real live hen walking around with them.

Hey I got a good wife I ain't going out looking for another one that's hollaring for me and ain't coming. I got best one she alive and she's with me, why leave her to find one that someone else didn't want..... wow that's a good illustration.

Chad Snyder

I'm lucky that I live about 10 minutes from Bill and have been to his shop many times.   The World Class , Spec1, and Legend are unique calls.   He shaves down walnut into long thin strips.  Bottom is one piece and side is wrapped numerous times.    Takes about 2 months to make a batch when he makes them.   I have calls from lots of well known call makers, Codys just seem more Realistic to me. 

sixbird

Quote from: Happy on February 07, 2018, 12:53:56 PM
There's a lot to be said with the effectiveness of sounding drunk and slutty.
That's the approach I take.

HAH!!! It works sometimes!!!   :drool:

dirt road ninja

Quote from: guesswho on February 07, 2018, 03:33:36 PM.   People overlook the age class of the gobblers. 

Please expand on this, I will openly admit that have no clue as to the age class bird that I'm working. Sometimes I know or strongly feel it's a jake, but for the most part I'm clueless.

Happy

Here are my observations and keep in mind I am not as knowledgeable as many on here. An older tom is used to the hens coming to him as a rule. He gobbles and struts and waits. He has also been run through the ringer by humters (unless he is one of those special low hunting pressure birds). This combines to make him a tougher nut to Crack so to speak. Now there are many different theories as to what hunting pressure and calling to birds does but from my experience he is a whole other animal than an unhunted bird. On most days anyhow. Some birds I can tell are older just by the gobble but it isn't a sure thing. There is a depth to an older birds gobble that I can pick up on once in a while. You can almost feel it. Just because a turkey gobbles and doesn't come does not mean an older bird. Could be a two year old with hens or just stubborn that day. 

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Fieldturkey

Bottom line is that it's worth it if you want it. Who cares what we think. Its all relative

guesswho

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 07, 2018, 07:05:41 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 07, 2018, 03:33:36 PM.   People overlook the age class of the gobblers. 

Please expand on this, I will openly admit that have no clue as to the age class bird that I'm working. Sometimes I know or strongly feel it's a jake, but for the most part I'm clueless.
I'm not claiming to know what age gobbler I'm up against.  I have no idea until I have my hands on him. I'm saying some folks never think about the age of the gobblers they encounter.   I mentioned earlier anybody can kill any gobbler on the right day.  But typically the importance of your calls and ability to use those calls goes up along with what age group gobbler your on.  A new hunter can probably tag out on two years with a basic sounding call and knowledge.  But that same guy is going to struggle if he runs into a 4 or 5 year old that has seen and heard it all.   That's why some hunters have such up and down years.  Two years after a good hatch they're as good as anybody around.  Have two or three years in a row of bad hatches and they don't fare so well and can't figure out why.  They' were using that same killer call they tagged out with last year.   It never crosses their mind that older gobblers Tend to be less forgiving.

I guess I was making a point that the importance of a good sounding call depends on what your up against.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff