Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cody World Class Slate..Worth the Money?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 06, 2018, 09:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Sure it is a great call, but I would not pay $150-175 for any slate call.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TheBigSnood

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 06, 2018, 10:14:53 PM
I have the world class and the spec 1. If I had to do it over , I would buy them again. I believe they are some of the most realistic sounding slates out there to me. The birds agree.

x2
Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!

BottomLand54

Y'all got my wallet itching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

It's not the CALL that makes the hunter, it's knowing how to RUN a call that make a turkey response to the call, if that call doesn't have a turkey in that call your odd's are going to be a lot less in being successful. Sure everyone has killed a turkey with some kind of a call at some point, it was just meant for that turkey to die. But a good persistent turkey hunter will tell you a call has to have a turkey in the call and you have got to know how to run the call. Some people think just buying a call and running out the door is going to kill them a turkey, in most cases this is not true... you need to listen and learn what hen turkeys sound like and practice with good calls that have a turkey built into the calls - box call, mouth calls, pot calls it can go on and on with different type calls... the CALL just has to talk turkey ...

BottomLand54

I like to kill em with no cAlls and
No decoys just setup where the travel through and stalk em

TheBigSnood

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 07, 2018, 11:05:29 AM
It's not the CALL that makes the hunter, it's knowing how to RUN a call that make a turkey response to the call, if that call doesn't have a turkey in that call your odd's are going to be a lot less in being successful. Sure everyone has killed a turkey with some kind of a call at some point, it was just meant for that turkey to die. But a good persistent turkey hunter will tell you a call has to have a turkey in the call and you have got to know how to run the call. Some people think just buying a call and running out the door is going to kill them a turkey, in most cases this is not true... you need to listen and learn what hen turkeys sound like and practice with good calls that have a turkey built into the calls - box call, mouth calls, pot calls it can go on and on with different type calls... the CALL just has to talk turkey ...

Very well said Greg!
Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!

BottomLand54

I can't run a call, or even shoot a gun. I am just glad God will put a big turkey in front me every once in awhile.

Biggest bird I killed was with no calls or decoys just sitting by a tee waiting on him to head towards his roosting ground. Been watching him for weeks out of binoculars.

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: TheBigSnood on February 07, 2018, 11:11:56 AM

Very well said Greg!

I think this is a great philosophical, old timer statement, but doesn't explain the thousands of turkeys killed every year by novices, etc. in my opinion, like you said, it's just the turkeys day. My first turkey, 24 years ago, i was calling with a diaphragm call, more whistling and choking than calling. Set decoys up wrong, he came out 90 degrees to my left in a wide open field, 3 hens came to my decoys, they went back to him and they are walking in the wide open and he is turning to leave i turn 90 degrees 3 hens between us, with regular 6 shot lead through a modified choke at 40yds walking away.  The neighbors said they heard someone whoopin and hollerin 3-400 yds away. It was his time to die. Patience and time will kill as many turkeys as a call. To my point, i really don't want to pick up a $200 call because I know i will buy it, just trying to give myself an excuse not to by remembering this hunt.  And, if you want to sound the turkiest, get the best call, i just don't think you have to, to kill turkeys. But as you can tell, i want to, can't hurt. Anybody got $200 i can borrow so my wife doesnt know i'm spending it?

bghunter777

I'v said this before and hope its not taken in a wrong as I'm not trying to self promote or offend. When you reach a certain calling aptitude the call chosen does make a difference. Many turkeys it does not but some it does. Its like playing a high end instrument you need to reach a certain level of ability to truly start appreciated the subtle differences.

As I'v said before probably 80% of birds ready to commit can be called in equally as well by a 20 dollar primos jackpot as a cody from a descent caller. This is hard to prove other than 1000s of hours of observation there comes a time where having a very premium call in the hands of a skilled caller will call that bird in when nothing else would even the same skilled caller with a lower end call. A side benefit is its also just fun to run a well tuned Cody World Class Slate. Some of you guys with think of I am full of BS and a few of you will understand exactly what I'm saying.

idratherb

Once you get one you'll sell your others. But at the end of the day to kill birds you simply need consistent time to scout and hunt and some birds in your area.

StruttinGobbler3

That's almost exactly what I was trying to imply with the original post. I'm looking for that slate that has a turkey penned up inside it. Not to sound arrogant, but I've been running all styles of calls for many years. Mouth calls, boxes, pots, trumpets, etc. I've reached a level of proficiency in the past few years that I simply wish to run higher quality calls. A professional musician could take a 100 dollar guitar and make good music, however he is at the height of his potential and confidence with the 2000 dollar guitar. Kind of the same principle.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Happy

There's a lot to be said with the effectiveness of sounding drunk and slutty.
That's the approach I take.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: bghunter777 on February 07, 2018, 12:32:10 PM
I'v said this before and hope its not taken in a wrong as I'm not trying to self promote or offend. When you reach a certain calling aptitude the call chosen does make a difference. Many turkeys it does not but some it does. Its like playing a high end instrument you need to reach a certain level of ability to truly start appreciated the subtle differences.

As I'v said before probably 80% of birds ready to commit can be called in equally as well by a 20 dollar primos jackpot as a cody from a descent caller. This is hard to prove other than 1000s of hours of observation there comes a time where having a very premium call in the hands of a skilled caller will call that bird in when nothing else would even the same skilled caller with a lower end call. A side benefit is its also just fun to run a well tuned Cody World Class Slate. Some of you guys with think of I am full of BS and a few of you will understand exactly what I'm saying.

I agree 100%, i also think it sucks to have a friend calling with u that can't call.  But when i have a friend calling that knows what he's doing and to listen to that conversation between gobbler and caller is the hunt, it's what i'm out there for! Makes me wonder which friend i am when hunting with others!I've just never seen a turkey that cared what a call cost.  I'm not trying to self promote of offend anyone either, hope i didn't come across that way.  It reminds me of the day i realized that walmart didn't sell the best calls! I went from primos to Pittman, wow, what a difference! Then to non mass produced calls, another huge step up! To be able to get those subtle tones and breaks and consistency all in one call is amazing.  I think you hit it spot on with the 20%. And that 20% is what keeps me spending money and the turkey industry in business. So, is the call worth the money to kill turkeys, it depends on the person i'd say, in the right hands the call is probably worth $1000.

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: idratherb on February 07, 2018, 12:33:43 PM
Once you get one you'll sell your others.

It's comments like this that keep me spending money.  I would offer one suggestion though, before anyone buys a $175 call, go somewhere quiet and try it out with different strikers etc. there is sbsolutely no way to compare what a call is going to sound like in the woods if you are testing it out at the nwtf convention.

davisd9

Every year one call or another is pushed hard.  Many of those calls are great calls, but you will see loads of people go buy them and then in 3-4 months the classifieds will be overloaded with them.  Works out for some of us, but play the call or find someone who has it and can play it, send you a sound file. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer