Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cody World Class Slate..Worth the Money?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 06, 2018, 09:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Title says it all. I've been looking for a slate call that has "that" sound. Anyone who's killed a few turkeys know what I mean. Some calls have that sound that makes birds want to die. I'm searching for a slate that has that. Recently the Cody World Class has come up in my search. So I'm your opinion, is it worth the $175 price tag?
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

guesswho

Only you can decide if it's worth that price tag.  If you think it's worth it to get that sound, then yes it's worth it.  But for me it's not worth anywhere near that.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BottomLand54

Good question? I've wandered the same and talked to a very well know call builder today about this. He said they are good, very good my next question to him was is there calls as good? He says yes! I said is there better calls? He said yes. He said sound depends on the ear listening, everyone has a sound they like. So is it worth 175.00 to you? That's my question I would like to have a legend but is it with 200.00?

A 100.00 used single shot will kill a turkey why do we pay up to 2000.00 for our setups? Kind because we want too lol.

I would like to know if a Cody call is worth the money as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodtimekiller

Kill turkeys with $50 pot call all day long, spend 'em if u got em, then you can tell everyone you have a $175 pot call.

Spitten and drummen

I have the world class and the spec 1. If I had to do it over , I would buy them again. I believe they are some of the most realistic sounding slates out there to me. The birds agree.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

3bailey3

Hey S and D your last few post I have agreed 100%!

Greg Massey

Regardless if the call is worth 50, 100, 200 or 400 hundred dollars it really doesn't matter. You need to know how to master the calls your trying to use, it's a device that produces sounds and if you don't understand the reason for these sounds in trying to call a gobbler, it doesn't matter if you have a Cody call, Jim Shelley call, David Halloran, or any of the other great call makers. If you haven't mastered the techniques and effectiveness in speaking the language your not going to be very successful regardless in calling many birds to the gun barrel. It's doesn't take a great caller to kill birds, what it take's is understanding what your trying to do with the call in calling birds clucks, yelps, purrs, cutt, excited yelp, fly down cackle, kee kee, putt and the tree call... Mouth calls, box calls, pot calls and trumpets just to name a few. Not all of these calls are going to make the sounds your looking for it take different calls to master these sounds in the turkey woods. People are going to be different in what they feel makes the best sounds in calling gobblers. I think a person going in the woods with just 2 or 3 call's may sometimes put himself in a disadvantage in calling birds because he just doesn't have that sound that day the gobbler is looking for in delivering himself into gun range. Remember turkeys are just being turkeys.

fallhnt

Read MK M GOBL post. About 10 down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MK M GOBL

Quote from: fallhnt on February 07, 2018, 12:29:31 AM
Read MK M GOBL post. About 10 down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here's the link to my story with CODY calls.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,78572.0.html

MK M GOBL

Happy

To me no, to you maybe. Are some shotguns that are worth thousands more deadly than one that cost $300.00? Only you can decide. I have no problem paying money for something I want. However I do not necessarily believe that it will be more effective. When it comes to turkey hunting my confidence comes from my abilities not my tools. I have killed more birds with a $5.00 diaphram than anything else. Next call with the most kills under its belt cost me $15.00. But if I wanted a world class I would go buy one. But I wouldn't buy it under the impression that is was going to make me a better hunter. It's the Indian more than the arrow in my opinion. I know some old boys with walmart calls, remington shotguns and lead turkey loads that would totally bury most of these fellows with all the pricy calls, high dollar shotguns, tss and $1000.00 worth of decoys with a fancy  tent to shoot out of to boot. They paid the price in years of experience and studying a craft that serves them well. As hard as the industry tries they can't sell that.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 06, 2018, 10:23:11 PM
Hey S and D your last few post I have agreed 100%!

Thanks. We may not always agree on everything , but in the end we are always turkey hunting brothers.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Happy on February 07, 2018, 06:58:18 AM
To me no, to you maybe. Are some shotguns that are worth thousands more deadly than one that cost $300.00? Only you can decide. I have no problem paying money for something I want. However I do not necessarily believe that it will be more effective. When it comes to turkey hunting my confidence comes from my abilities not my tools. I have killed more birds with a $5.00 diaphram than anything else. Next call with the most kills under its belt cost me $15.00. But if I wanted a world class I would go buy one. But I wouldn't buy it under the impression that is was going to make me a better hunter. It's the Indian more than the arrow in my opinion. I know some old boys with walmart calls, remington shotguns and lead turkey loads that would totally bury most of these fellows with all the pricy calls, high dollar shotguns, tss and $1000.00 worth of decoys with a fancy  tent to shoot out of to boot. They paid the price in years of experience and studying a craft that serves them well. As hard as the industry tries they can't sell that.

well said and I am in full agreement. One thing I will say though is confidence kills alot of birds. if you drop 200 bucks on a call and you have some ability and it gives you confidence , that will take you a long way. It also helps to have alot of birds to hunt lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Turkz39

I can remember a few years ago I was in Kentucky hunting spring birds with a buddy of mine we had been working a bird , and he wasn't wanting to make those last few steps,   When all of the sudden I hear this sweet little yelping back behind me,  and I thought to my self. That's a hen that has came in behind us,  with in min the ole gobbler popped his head up, and the rest is history!  Well come to find out my buddy had broke out his old Cody slate,  and started yelping on it...  Iam not a pot call guy,  but I would pay 200 for his Cody as it is the most realistic sounding pot call I have ever heard but he also knows how to run it which helps out a lot.,  I will see if I can find out which one he has.

MK M GOBL

Take the knowledge of a seasoned "successful" hunter, mix in skills of one who can "Run a Pot Call", and then drop a CODY World Class Slate in their hands. I can tell you the out come!

Now I know a lot of what we talk here does come down to the individual and their skill sets. And no matter what "product" you are using will not overcome the lack of those skills.

If I ever had to replace my CODY I would in a heartbeat!!
I'll pick performance over pretty every time.

MK M GOBL

Goodtimekiller

Don't get me wrong, i have more calls than most and more gadgets than most, i'm a sucker and already have a list started for the nwtf convention and booths i have to stop by. I pay $10/shell for turkey loads.  All i think about 10 mos out of 12 is turkeys (elk the other 2). I have heard 10yr olds call in turkeys with a diaphragm that sounded like a dying rabbit and it's hard for me to think a $200 piece of slate sounds better than a $50 piece or that you would need it. I am 1 bird away from an unguided public land grand slam. And turkey hunt about 25-30 days a year. However, i have never picked up one of these calls because i do not want to drop $200 on a pot call, i may pick one up at the convention just due to this thread......thanks!