News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Florida 2019

Started by TKE921, February 06, 2018, 10:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKE921

Need some info

I have the opportunity to go hunt Osceolas in the spring of next year with a group I have gone with to shoot a pile of hogs.  They said I could pick my dates and they would be gracious enough to work with me ( around my work schedule ).  I presume we would be around the Kissimmee area to hunt, as that is where we always shot hogs.  When is the best time to hunt in that area of FL.... first week of season, middle of season, or last week of season?

I ask this because here in WV where I hunt....up near Morgantown the first and second week are typically the best, but where I hunt in Greenbrier county the elevation 3,000ft to 4,100 ft the last week is almost always better than the first 2 weeks combined.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

p.s.  @ that time of year do I need to pack about a dozen thermacells?

Muzzy61

I would say the first week or two, and a big yes on the Thermacell.  May want to bring some snake boots or Chaps.

Good luck, should be a good time.

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Panhandle_strutter

I would say the first week or two as well but just as anywhere else across the country the later weeks in a season can be very good once hens start nesting/people pressure die down. You have a little more flexibility on private land due to lack of pressure most times but as always with public land you just have to bog in with everyone else and make something happen by doing things slightly different than the other guys around you. Never hunt FL without a thermacell and plenty of refills, at some point in the day you will need it or wish you had It! Good luck

guesswho

I grew up hunting that area.   Anytime during the first couple of weeks should be productive.    And you will encounter bugs anytime you decide to go.  Good luck!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

TURKEYWHACKER

I would hit the first week.

joey46

If tightly controlled private land go anytime.  Took my first Osceola on a Florida "romp and stomp" on a Tuesday the last week of the season (2007).  It never gobbled but never stopped strutting until after the big boom.  As everywhere the early parts of the season can find a lot of henned up birds.  Good luck.

outdoors

MY EXPERIENCE OVER THE YEARS
YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THE FIRST WEAK THIS YEAR
WHERE I DEER HUNT , THE LAST WEAK THE GOBBLERS ALREADY
STARTED TO SOUND OFF
THATS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STATE, N. OF LAKELAND
             GOOD LUCK
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

swampgobblerFL

It depends how much pressure is put on the birds during the season. If there is a ton of pressure i would prefer to be the first to try and get a crack at one. I am in the south zone and weather permitting, the opener is always excellent, weeks 2-3 you experience more henned up birds. I actually prefer hunting later in the season as gobblers are more responsive. Bring a Thermacell for sure and good luck!

joey46

Some of the local forums are reporting heavy mosquito activity already in FL. I've been out a few times and haven't had a problem - yet.  My back pack always has a head net and mesh gloves anyway.  ThermoCells take about 15 minutes to fully activate and clear an area IMO.  I've carried a can of "camp fogger" at times. Helps cover those first few minutes.