turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Custom calls vs store bought

Started by Aaronhollon3, February 04, 2018, 10:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaronhollon3

How much better are these custom made calls vs store bought calls like zink, woodhaven, primos, etc? Can you really tell the difference?

Premier Turkey Calls

You can kill turkeys with both. I think that by owning "custom calls", it's more about the appreciation for handcrafted calls vs. mass production cnc cut calls.

Spitten and drummen

Depends on the call maker. I have gotten custom calls that should have been thrown in the trash. Just because it's custom does not mean it's great. That being said , over all custom calls are hands down better than mass produced calls most of the time. I do have some wood haven and Cody Calls that soundas good and has killed as many birds as my custom Calls. Then again woodhaven and Cody are right above production Calls and right below being custom in my opinion.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

mossyhorn2

I think you will get a more consistent sound from a custom call but some of the higher priced store bought calls are good also. They will all kill turkeys and if your good at running pot calls you can make most calls sound decent. With custom calls you get different woods and more options with surface and sound boards and a chance to talk with some great people!  :z-twocents:

BottomLand54

Woodhaven makes some best pot calls you can buy and have won allot of calling championships with em there pots are probaly best production calls you can buy imho I don't have one but I ran one. They are expensive and you can get a custom bacote pot for about what you will pay for one their calls.

I will say that guys kills birds with both it's not all in the call as much as in the caller. A man who can run a cheap call is better then a man running a custom call who can't run a call kinda like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris O

I killed birds with production calls for 30 + years with no problems. Increased hunting pressure made me seek custom calls so I wouldn't be using the same call as a lot of other people around me. And it is nice having different surfaces and sound boards to change sounds. And all the call makers I have dealt with have been top notch people.

Bowguy

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 04, 2018, 10:30:06 AM
Depends on the call maker. I have gotten custom calls that should have been thrown in the trash. Just because it's custom does not mean it's great. That being said , over all custom calls are hands down better than mass produced calls most of the time. I do have some wood haven and Cody Calls that soundas good and has killed as many birds as my custom Calls. Then again woodhaven and Cody are right above production Calls and right below being custom in my opinion.
Think this is about your best answer. A good custom and a store bought are much different.

mtns2hunt

I like custom calls for the variety. But not all custom calls are created equal and as stated above some should be destined for the trash can or e-bay. I would also say that some custom call makers are starting to look like production call makers. I would rather spend my money on a custom call maker that is smaller. But in the end any call I buy has to sound good to me. I just give the custom guy the benefit. I really like gun shows where call makers set up a booth. Great fun playing different calls and learning from the maker. Again just my 2 cents.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

MK M GOBL

Always have one answer to this... "I pick performance over pretty"

Don't care how nice, fancy or exotic the wood is, if it don't perform it's cash in the trash for me. I have a few Custom CODY calls (These are NOT the production calls you see made for "retail sales") and I totally bought them on sound and sound alone. Bit of a story behind this but non the less it was based on call performance. I also have another glass call I bought just by seeing how it worked because a buddy had it, call had been out of production for a while but I did find one and it has worked for me.

This call has "killed" more turkeys for me than any I call I have ever owned!
CODY World Class Slate

MK M GOBL

southern_leo

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 05, 2018, 10:50:30 PM

Don't care how nice, fancy or exotic the wood is, if it don't perform it's cash in the trash for me. I have a few Custom CODY calls (These are NOT the production calls you see made for "retail sales") and I totally bought them on sound and sound alone. Bit of a story behind this but non the less it was based on call performance. I also have another glass call I bought just by seeing how it worked because a buddy had it, call had been out of production for a while but I did find one and it has worked for me.

CODY World Class Slate

MK M GOBL
MK  M GOBL what is your affiliation, if any with Cody? You always have that ad and always preach Cody. And even have a cody display. You just that big of a fan or are you actually connected by friendship or otherwise to the company? I don't care just always wondered because your hardcore Cody.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Quote from: southern_leo on February 05, 2018, 11:53:00 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 05, 2018, 10:50:30 PM

CODY World Class Slate

MK M GOBL
MK  M GOBL what is your affiliation, if any with Cody? You always have that ad and always preach Cody. And even have a cody display. You just that big of a fan or are you actually connected by friendship or otherwise to the company? I don't care just always wondered because your hardcore Cody.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I do have some history with CODY Calls but not what you may think... It's a long story so I'm going to make a seperate post of it. I'll add the link to it after I write it.

A lot of this goes with what I post about DSD decoys, Double Bull Blinds and a few other products I believe in.

MK M GOBL

BottomLand54

I would like to read it. Love a good read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

In for the read. I am not affiliated with Cody at all but I will put my world class and spec 1 against any other slate. Mine sound fantastic. Also I have 31 slate calls , all custom that I compare them to. They are just good sounding slates. I also run custom 1 piece strikers on them. I dont care for the cody strikers.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 06, 2018, 08:20:54 AM
In for the read. I am not affiliated with Cody at all but I will put my world class and spec 1 against any other slate. Mine sound fantastic. Also I have 31 slate calls , all custom that I compare them to. They are just good sounding slates. I also run custom 1 piece strikers on them. I dont care for the cody strikers.

Was a pretty good deal last year, I ended up helping out a friend of mine with some tile work. Well she surprised me by buying me a CODY Spec 1 Legend Slate last spring and that call is everything my World Class is and more! I dedicated last years hunts to using the new call and was all and all a great season, I sent her pics of a dozen birds from the spring from "Learn to Hunts" and Youth Season, to a "video" hunt and hunts with other friends plus a few of my own birds. We could never quite connect last spring on a hunt as she was just starting a new job and had some limited days off. Hope this year she'll make it out with me and have another bird under her belt, and taken with the call she gave me :)

As the story continues...

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL