turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Let's talk Strikers

Started by Greg Massey, February 03, 2018, 11:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Do you prefer round tip or flair tip, Why do you prefer a flair tip over a round tip and do you think having both round and flair tips in your collection of strikers cause's you to play your pots different. It's like i'm playing my pot call with a round tip and i change pot calls and pickup a flair tip and it takes few second's to adjust your playing on another pot call or the same pot call.  WHAT 6 combinations do you like best in wood or others types ... I myself prefer all one piece round tip Strikers.. Ash, Hickory, Ipe , snakewood, Tulipwood, Dymondwood..    Do you like a one piece striker or a 2 piece striker and why...

LaLongbeard

I prefer the round tip over the flare tip. Ive tried a lot of both just seem to do better with the round tip. I like Purple Heart,black locust, ash, and a laminated striker from Haloran. I have a mix of one piece and two piece I prefer a one piece to me they have a better balance and feel to them.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Happy

I have no real preference. If it sounds good I will use it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on February 03, 2018, 12:23:52 PM
Happy you probably don't have more than 2 strikers because you never like to buy anything new.. :TooFunny:

Happy

True enough. I did make two this winter with a file and knife. One is from an oak tree that almost killed my grandad and one is from a locust that broke one of my ribs.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

paboxcall

Flared tip, larger surface area increases contact area between the two surfaces. Round tip strikers seem to me slightly more sensitive to finding and maintaining striker angle to achieve maximum friction while calling.

That said my favorite striker of all time was a straight tip walnut one piece made by Tuscarora Legend. Extremely forgiving and sweet on slate.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Spitten and drummen

I'm in the minority I guess. I prefer a straight tip. A round tip second . Don't care for flair but I have several that sound good.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

mtns2hunt

I use both: flared (mushroom) and round tip. I have about 6 of both round and flaired that I carry with me that sound really fine. The other two dozen will probably go on e-bay. Probably nothing wrong with them except they don't sound or play the way I like.

Learned a lot on this site in regard to wood types and style of striker. In the end it just came down to personal preference. You can really spend a lot on strikers. (and everything else Turkey)
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Greg Massey

Quote from: guesswho on February 03, 2018, 04:51:44 PM
I'd honestly have to go find mind to see, never thought about it.   Dang it, now I'm curious.   By the time I find it I'll probably forget why I was looking for it.
Your always about as funny as a lost or broken striker ... :TooFunny:

17hornethunter

I prefer round tip, but I'm open to trying flare or mushroom tip. Especially in the rare woods I.e. snakewood and gaboon ebony

Yoder409

Quote from: Happy on February 03, 2018, 12:23:52 PM

This.

Round...........flat............flared............even an angle tip Darrin gave me years ago.  Don't care what it looks like.  Just what it sounds like.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Bowguy

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 03, 2018, 03:19:02 PM
I'm in the minority I guess. I prefer a straight tip. A round tip second . Don't care for flair but I have several that sound good.
All I use is straight tips. Usually 2 piece

Gobble!

Flared. Larger surface. Two I carry are Dymondwood and Macassar Ebony.

Chris O

I have both types that I like really well and don't plan on getting rid of one type or the other.Sometimes a different tip sounds better with certain calls so it's nice to have different styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southern_leo

I have both and use both. For soft calling I like a flare tip running purrs .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk