turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Taking Jakes

Started by McGoose, April 16, 2011, 06:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGoose

I took a jake today. It had a two inch beard and nubs. It was shot on public land. It seemed as though I couldn't resist. Does anyone else shoot jakes when they have more than one tag? Or is this kiddy stuff?

njdevilsb

I have before and I probably will again.  Early in the season I don't anymore, but later in the season it's game on.  If you're happy with him, good for you.  You can't eat the beards and spurs anyway.

Congrats on your success.

guesswho

If it is something you want to do then do it.  You hunt for yourself, enjoy it however you see fit.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

McGoose

To be honest, it wasn't that rewarding. I'm sure he will fry up good but it was anticlimatic after the shot. He was basically a big hen with the size of his beard and nubs. I still have one tag and look forward to a gobbler, didn't help that my wife is due any day now and didn't want to eat a tag.

Struttin Spurs

Quote from: guesswho on April 16, 2011, 06:57:50 PM
If it is something you want to do then do it.  You hunt for yourself, enjoy it however you see fit.
Well put.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I don't shoot jakes and don't understand why any seasonsed hunter would.
It's an immature animal with less than a year of life under its belt.

That being said, I encourage newbies to take the opportunity to harvest one if they've never taken a bird.

JMHO

TRKYHTR

I have been turkey hunting a long time and have killed a few Jakes. I choose not to shoot Jakes anymore but that is my decision. I took a friend out a few weeks ago that has killed several turkeys, most of them Jakes. He killed a Jake that day and was very upset because he wanted to kill a longbeard. I reminded him that it's not the size of the game that makes a good hunt. It's the hunt itself. If you want to kill a Jake and it's legal, thats your call, have a great hunt. That Jake is a Turkey and we are Turkey hunting.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

WyoHunter

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 16, 2011, 08:33:34 PM
I have been turkey hunting a long time and have killed a few Jakes. I choose not to shoot Jakes anymore but that is my decision. I took a friend out a few weeks ago that has killed several turkeys, most of them Jakes. He killed a Jake that day and was very upset because he wanted to kill a longbeard. I reminded him that it's not the size of the game that makes a good hunt. It's the hunt itself. If you want to kill a Jake and it's legal, thats your call, have a great hunt. That Jake is a Turkey and we are Turkey hunting.

TRKYHTR
Well put! My thoughts exactly.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

mdtkyhntr

First bird I killed was a Jake, and I will never forget it. I haven't shot another one since, but I've only passed 2 or 3 in those years. I have to say that I agree with TRKYHTR, it's more about the whole hunt rather than taking a jake.
Zach

Gobble!

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 16, 2011, 07:59:20 PM
I don't shoot jakes and don't understand why any seasonsed hunter would.
It's an immature animal with less than a year of life under its belt.

That being said, I encourage newbies to take the opportunity to harvest one if they've never taken a bird.

JMHO

You don't shoot 2 years olds do you? I have called in way more 2 years olds then jakes so IMO that makes jakes smarter then 2 years old and more of a trophy right?

deadbuck

If you call him up and kill him a jake is a trophy. I would not ambush one or shoot one that was not gobbling or strutting though.

West Augusta

I don't kill jakes but don't look down on you for doing so. I also don't take bearded hens.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

fallhnt

I only bowhunt ,so I shoot jakes&bearded hens
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

hunttherut

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 16, 2011, 08:33:34 PM

TRKYHTR
:agreed:

jakesdad

I dont take jakes but only as a personal choice.I dont look down on anybody that takes any legal bird.What may be an "inferior" bird to some may be the trophy of a lifetime to others,to reasons known only to that particular hunter.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"