turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

David Halloran Box Calls

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 01, 2018, 09:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Who here hunts with one of David Hallorans box calls? I've wanted to add one of his to my collection for a few years. I finally ordered one today, macassar Ebony and figured walnut. What are your favorite wood combinations with his calls?
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Tennessee Lead

Ebony over Poplar, Purple Heart over cedar and the Walnut over butternut are my 3 favorites of his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

compton30

I've never owned a Halloran anything, but I've heard his purpleheart/cedar on youtube and to my ear it is one of the best short boxes I've heard.

kcrebel

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on February 01, 2018, 09:55:41 PM
Who here hunts with one of David Hallorans box calls? I've wanted to add one of his to my collection for a few years. I finally ordered one today, macassar Ebony and figured walnut. What are your favorite wood combinations with his calls?

That's the box call I have of is and it's awesome!  Best box call I've ever run to my ears....

Swab21

I have two of his boxes, Purple heart over Cedar and the Macassar Ebony over poplar.  I prefer the Purple heart over Cedar myself. :gobble:

Bowguy

I've heard a couple. Forget exactly what they were. I have a purple heart/cedar that's awesome

TauntoHawk

i made a trade last year to acquire a purpleheart/cedar with zebrawood end caps and its sweet
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

vt35mag

Purpleheart over Cedar has a great raspy barky yelp to it.  It has brought several gobblers to the end of the gun barrel.  His Ebony over Poplar is a real player too, great response with that one as well.  My Jatoba over Elder sounds similar to the Ebony over Poplar, but has a higher front.

SKFOOTER

Definitely the Purple Heart over Cedar. :turkey2:

nyhunter

purpleheart over wormy chestnut is my favorite, and a close second is Padauk over american chestnut, and third is purpleheart over poplar

OHturkey85

I have an ebony/poplar and a purpleheart/cedar both are great calls but I prefer the ebony.

Jbhsgs3699

I have an ebony/poplar and a purpleheart/cedar as well but I prefer the ebony also, both are very good.

Dtrkyman

I do not own any of his box calls, but man that dude sure can run one. I have 2 of his pot calls so a box may be next.

YELPA

Ebony/Poplar in my vest since 2010. 

StruttinGobbler3

I have high hopes for the ebony/walnut I ordered. While on the phone with David he mentioned he killed a lot of turkeys with it last year and it's quickly becoming one of his favorite combinations. We'll find out soon.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion