turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2 3/4" TSS in the Future?

Started by bbcoach, February 01, 2018, 03:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

With TSS hitting the market both in factory ammo and some of you reloading, many are talking of giving them a try.  I was wondering if the manufacturers or you reloaders will take a hard look at the 12 gauge 2 3/4 incher 1 1/4 oz TSS 8's and 9's?  With most of us killing birds in the 20-30 yard range, IMO the TSS 3 and 3 1/2 inchers are GREATLY OVERKILL.  GREAT shell IMO for the 20, 28 and .410 crowd.  I see APEX has suspended ALL their shell offerings on line until after the NWTF show.  Maybe some of you attending the NWTF show could slip by the APEX booth and give us some feedback.  Thoughts???? 

davisd9

There are recipes for them to be reloaded.  I think that would be fine in a 12 ga as the 2 oz + loads are a waste of shot, but if you are going to do that may as well go to the 20 and have a lighter gun.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spitten and drummen

The 12ga 2-3/4" TSS loads will kill birds stone dead at distances farther than discussed here. They are absolut hammers.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

taylorjones20

There are plenty of recipes for 2-3/4" 12ga TSS loads already available.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

born2hunt

Quote from: davisd9 on February 01, 2018, 03:42:43 PM
There are recipes for them to be reloaded.  I think that would be fine in a 12 ga as the 2 oz + loads are a waste of shot, but if you are going to do that may as well go to the 20 and have a lighter gun.

I agree if you were to set up a gun specifically for a lighter load that the 20 has the edge but TSS in 2 3/4 12ga could turn "Granddads" ole fixed choke gun into a solid performer. We really don't have many options for 2 3/4 other than high brass field loads. Federal offered them in the HW and they did very well in the older guns but they're gone now too.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Spurs Up

Quote from: taylorjones20 on February 01, 2018, 03:55:15 PM
There are plenty of recipes for 2-3/4" 12ga TSS loads already available.

Yes there are.  And, they're usually simpler and better performing loads on average than equal shot weight sub gauge loads. Only reason—outside of personal preference—to tote a 20 ga or smaller is lighter carry weight.  And that too is a personal preference thing...

Gooserbat

The 2 3/4 load I have data on is 2 oz.  It's not excessive on recoil and will flatten a Tom.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bbcoach

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 01, 2018, 11:44:55 PM
The 2 3/4 load I have data on is 2 oz.  It's not excessive on recoil and will flatten a Tom.
Wow, a 2 oz. load?  What's the CUP pressure and FPS on that load.  I've loaded 1 1/2 oz lead loads for ducks years ago and that was a GREAT load.  Seems it would be hard to get 2 ozs of TSS in a 2 3/4 incher and keep the pressures down.  My MEC could definitely make this happen.  Very curious.

Gooserbat

Quote from: bbcoach on February 02, 2018, 05:13:44 AM
Quote from: Gooserbat on February 01, 2018, 11:44:55 PM
Wow, a 2 oz. load?  What's the CUP pressure and FPS on that load.  I've loaded 1 1/2 oz lead loads for ducks years ago and that was a GREAT load.  Seems it would be hard to get 2 ozs of TSS in a 2 3/4 incher and keep the pressures down.  My MEC could definitely make this happen.  Very curious.
I'm not sure as I don't have the data in front of me but it's a safe load. It's not hard to get that much shot on a 2 3/4 12 ga. A tss is over 50% heavier than lead.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.