OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many trappers do we have out here on the forum?

Started by Spring Fever, January 31, 2018, 08:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Fever

Reason I ask is because its something I got into a few years past and have really enjoyed how much more it has sparked my senses while going through the woods. I like to to tell myself I see things that the common deer hunter just don't see. And from a turkey perspective I am really doing them justice.
Our local state trappers association has done a trapping competition at the same place now for about 12years and I had a chance to talk with the land owner about the results him and his club have seen from doing this and he had mentioned how it has noticeably helped with there turkey and quail populations over the recent years.

ccleroy

This is my first year trapping full out for everything and I absolutely love it!!! Here's just a few pictures from the season so far.

Farmboy27

You know it's weird. I have some real good friends who are diehard trappers and  I've done some myself over the years. But for some reason I still hate to see pictures of animals in traps! 

Spring Fever

Ccleroy awesome pics
First year you have done awesome!!
I love the black yote... I would have to of kept that fur. I haven't had the chance to catch a black one like that yet.
Great pics and thanks for sharing!
I am glad to see you got the yougen in on a dying tradition.

mossyhorn2

Those are great pics. I have been trapping for more than 35 yrs. and I'm glad to see there are new people taking an interest. I don't know what I would do all winter if it wasn't for trapping.  Enjoy and good luck!

ccleroy

Quote from: Spring Fever on January 31, 2018, 08:58:22 PM
Ccleroy awesome pics
First year you have done awesome!!
I love the black yote... I would have to of kept that fur. I haven't had the chance to catch a black one like that yet.
Great pics and thanks for sharing!
I am glad to see you got the yougen in on a dying tradition.

Those are 2 different black yotes caught back to back days last week, I kept both hides for tanning!!!! Thanks for the kind words.....we've put a hurting on the best raiders something fierce as well.

ccleroy

Quote from: Farmboy27 on January 31, 2018, 08:50:33 PM
You know it's weird. I have some real good friends who are diehard trappers and  I've done some myself over the years. But for some reason I still hate to see pictures of animals in traps!

And? You're reply is here for what?

Yoder409

I just LOVE to trap !!!   Only problem is finding the time...........

One day I'll maybe be retired.   The critters are in a boatload of trouble then.......
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

silvestris

Quote from: ccleroy on January 31, 2018, 09:28:26 PM
Quote from: Farmboy27 on January 31, 2018, 08:50:33 PM

And? You're reply is here for what?

Don't be too hard on those who cringe at the sight on a furbearer in a trap.  It is sad to a degree; the critters just want to make a living.  Unfortunately utilizing the resource requires management of one to have an abundance of another.  This is coming from the son of a furbuyer who traded millions of pelts; turkeys have suffered due to relatively low fur prices, due in part to the anti-fur folks.  There are acts that mandate counter acts to repair their damage.  The key is balance.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

ccleroy

Quote from: silvestris on February 01, 2018, 12:19:01 AM

Don't be too hard on those who cringe at the sight on a furbearer in a trap.  It is sad to a degree; the critters just want to make a living.  Unfortunately utilizing the resource requires management of one to have an abundance of another.  This is coming from the son of a furbuyer who traded millions of pelts; turkeys have suffered due to relatively low fur prices, due in part to the anti-fur folks.  There are acts that mandate counter acts to repair their damage.  The key is balance.

Oh I get it buddy,the problem is at least around my parts there is no balance.....for to long now predators have gone unchecked. Coon hunting has turned into a points game where they only kill 1 out of every 4. As far as the coyotes hardly anyone but professional trappers trap land, it's definitely a dying art and one I'm glad I started. I love all woodland critters, and trapping them with all you learn you really gain another level of respect for these animals,but someone has to keep ones that compete with us in check and try to keep the balance. I want my turkey numbers as good as they can be and this dang sure can't hurt.

Double B

I trapped in my youth back years ago when fur prices were good.  It was hard work but very rewarding and we felt "big time" when we took our furs to the buyer.  Fun times.   Agree with coon taking, they are nest raiders.   Nice job ccleroy, love that black yote and passing along the tradition.
Followed by buzzards

1iagobblergetter

I enjoyed trapping for several years when I was younger and coonhunted for over half of my life. I still Coyote hunt a little bit,but with my job its hard to do a good hound justice or be able to check traps like they need to be. I just buried my last coonhound a few months back. It's nice seeing your son getting involved in the sport. I like seeing pictures like that. I think of all the other animals saved when i see them and a youngster not sitting on the computer... :icon_thumright:

ccleroy

It is very time consuming, takes me 2 hours to run traps if I don't have to reset and 1/4 tank of gas everyday........it is rewarding but you have to dedicate the time.

wisconsinteacher

This is my second year running a true trap line.  Year past, I would mess around for a week or so but now I go all season.  Last year, I got 9 coyotes and 3 fox along with a few weasels.  This year I added a few water sets and so far I'm at 17 coyotes, 3 rats, 2 mink, an otter and fisher.  All of my coyotes come from using cable restrains.  All 26 coyotes are all off the same 200 acre property.  Two more weeks to go so I am gunning for 20 total coyotes!!! 

The land owner is happy and he saw more fawns this year than ever before.

longbeardbuster

Wish I had the time to do it. Very beneficial to the future turkey and duck numbers to rid the area of predators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk