turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A special gift from Mr. Lonnie Mabry

Started by Grey Owl, January 31, 2018, 09:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Owl

Recently, during my visit to Mr. Lonnie Mabry he gave me a very special gift. He gave me this mallet that he's used for many years to make box calls. It's priceless to me.

harleytom

Nice TJ. I know that meant a lot to you.

Sixes

He is a great guy. I was just there this afternoon, he ONLY talked about 2 hours before I had to get going. It's always a great visit with him

Grey Owl

Quote from: Sixes on January 31, 2018, 07:17:22 PM
He is a great guy. I was just there this afternoon, he ONLY talked about 2 hours before I had to get going. It's always a great visit with him

I live to listen to his hunting stories.

Did you happen to buy that purple heart over persimmon box call?

Sixes

No. I bought a box made from really old chestnut with walnut lid and a box from chestnut with a purple heart lid plus a slate and a bronze glass call.  He told me it was getting hard to find the glass anymore and wasn't sure how much longer he could make them.

I do wish the boxes were still $40 and the pots $20 like they used to be.  :TooFunny:

But, they are still worth the money.

mgm1955

BMAC_Turkeys

did he have much in stock? I may make a trip there this weekend.

Grey Owl

Yes, is well stocked right now but I'd say the rush will be on soon.

Sixes

Quote from: BMAC_Turkeys on January 31, 2018, 08:50:51 PM
did he have much in stock? I may make a trip there this weekend.

He had lots of box calls, a fair amount of different pot calls. A lot of pots, but not as many as I have seen in past years. Tons of strikers.

Still no hackberry pots, but I did see some pots made from pecan, which I haven't ever seen there

BMAC_Turkeys

Spring Creek Calls

That mallet is a true treasure, congratulations. I have many box calls but not more than 2 from any callmaker, except Lonnie. I have 6 of his short boxes and will most likely pick up more in woods I don't have.  Did he have any persimmon boxes?
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Grey Owl

There will never be anymore hackberry pots like the old ones. Mr. Mabry said all the hackberry is gone.

Mike - thank you it is a treasure to me. Yes, he has a persimmon with a purple heart lid that's as good as anything I've played there. I had already picked out an ambrosia maple before I saw it. If would've had the extra cash I would've got it.

gaswamp

Sixes

Fieldturkey

How many hackberry pots were made? I've got a slate and aluminum.