OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli SBE3 vs other options

Started by BobWalters, January 30, 2018, 11:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobWalters

I'd like to have a really good poi and choke for dove/quail (always used old guns with non screw in ic barrels which I never patterned them), a good turkey choke, and a good steel rated waterfowl choke. Whether any of these crio flush Benelli fit the bill idk, but I kinda hope they do cause one less expense.

BottomLand54

Benelli crio chokes are excellent chokes. And you get 5 with a sbe2 or sbe3 and extended chokes with the 25th anniversary 2 hey man if you can compromise and use a 28" Barrel you can find some deal on some sbe2s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobWalters

The reason I was so set on 26 is it just felt the best in my hands and it's right between a 24 that a lot of people around here anyway like for turkey and a 28 for waterfowl. I looked at a used sbe2 with a 28 on Saturday. Not sure how old it was but man that thing had been enjoyed. Camo was flat wore out on it. Lots and lots and lots of black showing through on all the wear areas like the forearm. Still had $850 on it.

Another quick question I know it's debated whether benellis will fire target loads some do some don't, we've been back and forth on it in this post. My question is will the Winchester AA super sport 2 3/4 shell 3 1/4 dram 1300 velocity 1 1/8oz be strong or "hot" enough to follow's benellis in book recommendation for the first 3-4 boxes of shells being "standard hunting cartridges" or should I look to something stronger just to be safe and insure that I won't be one of those with cycling issues with light target loads? Again not looking for a debate whether benellis need breaking in or whether they will fire light loads just going by the book with the gun will those shells be enough for breaking in or do I need something heavier and hotter?

the Ward

I think those loads should cycle just fine. I have a Vinci, and it cycles everything I've ever put in it, including some pretty light loads. An m2 should have no problems as well. the crio chokes pattern pretty good,  the improved cylinder or mod works well for doves and ducks. For turkey you may want to go to an aftermarket choke, depending on what ammo and what range you want to shoot. A 26" barrel m2 would be a very versatile gun that will provide years of enjoyment.

BottomLand54

It will shoot 2.5 inch shells if you put em in it.

If you get a lemon ship it back and they will fix it or send you a brand new gun. I have a brand new never shot sbe2 if you live close to me I will let your shoot it first and we will fill it up with cheap Walmart dove loads and let you hammer em.

Bob where do you live?

deadbuck

I bought the SBE2 in Black and love it. However, a Benelli blued receiver will rust on you very quickly so don't leave it wet for an extended period. The dipped guns seem to have the camo finish rub off easily too and I don't like the look of worn off camo.

BobWalters

Just wanting to go by the book with this one and run 3-4 hotter boxes of loads through it to make sure it breaks in properly. I know some here say Benelli will cycle everything but I do know people personally and I know people through online forums that have cycling issues with this guns and I'm doing what I can to avoid it by following the book perfectly before I use any light load shells.

WNCTracker

Quote from: BobWalters on February 05, 2018, 10:38:01 AM
Just wanting to go by the book with this one and run 3-4 hotter boxes of loads through it to make sure it breaks in properly. I know some here say Benelli will cycle everything but I do know people personally and I know people through online forums that have cycling issues with this guns and I'm doing what I can to avoid it by following the book perfectly before I use any light load shells.
That is what I did. I took it as an opportunity to pattern test different brands of turkey loads and in the meantime "broke in" the benelli

BottomLand54

I load it up and shoot it

BobWalters

How often does everyone remove and clean / oil the recoil spring and tube in the stock? Not sure about the sbe models but the M2 everyone is talking needing a vice and a heat gun to get the nut loose to even get the spring out. I have no vice or heat gun. Should I clean that on a new gun like I would the rest of the gun to get the factory stuff off of it or?